Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tina_n_sam

Michelia alba..because of you guys

Tina_n_Sam
10 years ago

The title says it all. I HAD to go get a michelia because of this forum. ;-)

In fact, I HAD to get other plants as well....gardenias. Lol

The only things keeping me in check are my zone and the amount of space in my living room.

Tried to get hubby on the band wagon about building a sun room. However, what I really want is a greenhouse.

So, here's what I got from my trip to Logee's two Saturdays ago.

Not as straight standing and tall as robert1971 or khandi.

Lastly, please tell me this is a bud. I can't trust my own judgement. I'm too excited. lol

Comments (14)

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Hi . congrats on your beautiful plants you are now part of the michelia Alba club :) and personallyi would say no looks to me like a new leave bud! flower buds come of the base of the leave
    What is the small plant in the middle?

• Tina_n_Sam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, fragrant!

Oh, on the 'bud'. I'll just have to wait....lol

The small plant is a Gardenia jasminoides 'Frostproof'. At first, I was going to put it in the ground. But, I'm going to pot it and winter it inside. Then, when it's bigger, I'll plant it.

The other Gardenia jasminoides 'Fortuniana' has a large bud out of frame. I know I'll have to winter it inside but it was on sale for $6.95! I just couldn't pass it up.
    -Tina

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Tina, I am into fragrant gardening for several years now and have known about michelia alba for long time. Because of its growth nature(tree form), zone issue I was hesitant to buy all these years. Somehow this year I went ahead and ordered one, I repotted it and its doing good. Folks in California and Florida can have these plants outside but we are not that fortunate as we have to maintain this plant in pots for ever. Both of us have to wait for the first flower and join the rest on this forum to praise the fragrance..

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well, I hope you all get some nice flowers!

Mine was that size just a couple years ago and flowered that very folling spring!
    Now it's a monster by my standards, bought at the same place, and I have to keep cutting it back to keep it's form.
    They like to drop inner leaves while the branches want to reach out and get much bigger!

By the way on your gardenias....

It is easy to grow them now, but make sure they are in a very good porous mix by winter and FOR SURE keep an eye on mites. They love those two in particular..

Spray them with fish emulsion every two weeks or so right until you bring them inside and you should have some pest free plants by the time you bring them in.
    Feed them a good fertilizer regularly and make sure to never ever let them dry to wilt.

As for feeding your Michellia...Feed lightly, very lighlty once in abgreat while and use a very week fertilizer. I use seaweed and fish emulsion on mine. I also use a very light dose of Foilage Pro once a month or so.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mike

• Tina_n_Sam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, khandi. When the night temperature starts to dip in the fall, I bring my current plants (begonias and Christmas cacti) inside every night. Then, in the morning, I bring them back out. So, I will have to do this with these new guys.

Thanks, Mike. Nice tips. I do not want bugs in the house. Right now, I have a huge beetle and bugs problem. You can see the chewed on leaves on all the plants above. I do not want these inside.

I hand pick what I see. But, beetles give me the heebie jeebies. Not spiders. Not centipedes.

-Tina

• mrao77
    10 years ago

Nice!

kandhi, mike and Tina, can you please share with me your source of M.alba. I lost my flower bearing plant (quite large) this spring due to a move :(
    I lost several other fragrants too, I am heart broken and trying to find replacements that wont break a bank!

thanks,
    mrao77

• Tina_n_Sam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mrao, I paid a visit to Logee's and got it there.

They are normally $49.95. However, they are on sale at Logee's for $39.95 until July 17th.

They are expensive but...have you ever smelled one?

BTW, the Gardenia jasminoides 'Fortuniana' bloomed tonight! Yes!!!

It smells good! I'm thinking kind of flowery with a hint of coconut.

Now, I can post a picture to the 'what's blooming'. It'll be a repeat of this picture but it's my first gardenia bloom.

-Tina

• kasiec
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your gardenia bloom Tina. And when your Michelia blooms, you will definitely jump for joy!!

Kasie

• kandhi
    10 years ago

mrao, I bought this from rareflora nursery in florida. Their website do not show plant availability but call them to check on it. The plant they sent was grafted and healthy looking one. Ofcouse logees does have sale and you may want to order from them.

• kandhi
    10 years ago

My 1ft M.alba I bought last July grew to 3ft tall. It bloomed for 1st time indoors and my sunroom is filled with the fragrance. Looking forward for multiple blooms this summer.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Many congrats kandhi on your 1st Michelia alba flower :) and the beautiful photos really like 2nd photo. Nice healthy plant to some big leaves in the 3rd photo :)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello! Yes, I'll bet you are loving it! Mine will be coming inside if it blooms..

Mines keeps dropping it leaves as they, the leaves get brown spots until they fall. I can't figure it out! So frustrating..

Congrats!

Mike

• simounagta
    9 years ago

sample posting--trying to learn

• simounagta
    9 years ago

sample posting--trying to learn

{{!gwi}}