Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I force my Jasmine to flower?

Posted by brent_2006 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 12:50

I have nine beautiful jasmine that I am training up a wall. They have been there for approximately a year. Shortly after I first planted them they bloomed incredibly. Now they are growing great but just have had no blooms on them. Is there a way to encourage them to bloom? I live in San Diego and everything else in may yard is in full bloom.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, Brent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I force my Jasmine to flower?

Brent, i'm in the same boat,I have a pink jasmine that just keeps on growing and growing but no blooms not evan one bud I don't get it. And whats even more frustrating is when I went to the nursery the other day I saw my "pink jasmine" exact same freakin plant completely loaded to the max with buds! I'm was so pissed off. Now all what I want to do is throw it away and buy one of those good ones with all the buds on it .(LOL)

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 11:27

Pink jasmine, aka jasminum polyanthum, comes from a colder climate than most jasmines, and needs a significant cold winter rest, with night temps in the low 50s at the highest, and less water, in order to set buds to bloom in the spring.

If you can duplicate these conditions for a minimum 8 weeks, you might get buds -- I'm pretty sure that's how commercial growers get theirs to bloom out of season. Otherwise, ya gotta wait until fall, back off on the watering and fertilizing, and let nature do the rest!

Brent, are yours pink jasmines or something else? If you've been fertilizing a lot to get flowers, stop! Jasmines don't need too much fertilizer, and lots of nitrogen makes them grow a lot but not produce flowers. It may be they're still getting used to their new situation, but give us more details and maybe folks can give more suggestions.

Jim

o

J. polyanthum naturally blooms in late winter to early spring.

Growers can manipulate many bloom cycles on many different plants. They use heat, lights, coolers and growth regulators.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here