Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardenia leave edges turning brown

Posted by amalo (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 13:19

Hi! I have a gardenia which has been quite healthy with blooming flowers. Recently the leaves have started developing brown/black edges, especially the new growth. There is no yellowing of leaves only black/brown on the edges of some of the leaves, the rest of the plant seems to be very green and healthy and growing a lot of new leaves. Does this mean that the soil is too alkaline? should it be more acidic? Does that mean I should add more epsom salts? I did that about 2 weeks ago, is it ok to do it again? Can anyone suggest aything else? thanks in advance for any replies. Amal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardenia leave edges turning brown

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 9:29

Don't add more anything!

Leaf browning at the edges is often a sign of too much fertilizer or salts at the roots, so go easy on it. I can also mean it's drying out too quickly and may need a bit more shade.

As long as the rest of the plant is healthy, don't make drastic changes; if the leaves start yellowing or dropping, then it may be root rot or a dozen other things -- fellow gardenia martyrs, please jump in!

Jim

o

• Posted by lahib Morocco (My Page) on
    Tue, May 8, 12 at 15:50

My tree is also having these brown tips to some leaves and i dont know what im doing wrong here. its in a shaded place so thats ruled out. as for fertilizer im not using any at the moment so that leaves salt at roots. how to get rid of that?

o
RE: gardenia leaves yellowing

• Posted by lahib Morocco (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 12 at 17:44

Hi my gardenia leaves sometimes become yellow i wonder why? can anyone tell pls?

o

HELP....my gardenias have been in the garage with a window open for sunlight because it freezes and snows here in the winter and the garage stays fairly warm. They did great all winter. Took them all out of the garage and placed them on the porch with northern exposure - 2 smaller plants with slightly more sun - and those 2 potted in smaller pots have suddenly started with the browning of leaves. The leaves are only brown - no yellowing - along the outer edge of the leaf. TOO MUCH WATER? TOO MUCH SUN???

o

Too much 'salt':-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here