Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrant Daylilies

Posted by florey 6 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 13:29

Scented daylilies have lovely scents, starting with the old Lemon lilies. Try sniffing various yellow and apricot ones. Daylilies may be my favorite garden fragrance [ after mock orange, and old fashioned peonies].

Does any one have favorites, with names, that they would like to reccommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrant Daylilies

My favorite lily is StarGazer. Plant groups, and your garden will smell sooo good. Their colors are pretty too.
Phlox smells great too, and comes in different colors and heights..Toni

o

My favorite scented daylily is the species Hemerocallis citrina. The flowers open in the evening and have a pure, sweet, clean and fresh scent that is never unpleasant or cloying. It is also a truly beautiful, floriferous and striking plant.

o

I didn't realize that daylillies had varieties that were fragrant. Would like to see what's available in my zone for next year.
Thanks

o

Hi, I think the citrina and lemon are the same plant. Lovely, aren't they?
There are some, in the perennials garden, at Elizabeth Gardens in W/Hartford.
This was one of the early plants, that was brought over in colonial times.

o

Yes, Hemerocallis citrina and lemon daylily are the same plant.

I did not realize that daylilies (Hemerocallis sp) were fragrant until this year. Many are, none that I've been around throw their scent across the yard but if you sniff them, they are fragrant. Not all mail order daylily sellers note fragrance though. :(

There are fragrant Hostas too, something I didn't know until last year.

o
Fragrant Daylily list

I don't know anything about this grower but I did find a list of fragrant daylilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant daylilies

o
Fragrance Award Winners

Didn't know there was an award for fragrant daylilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrance Award Winners

o

I have always known Hemerocallis citrina as the citron daylily, whereas the lemon lily for me is H. flava.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here