Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Passiflora serratifolia

Finally opened and opened 4 at once! So far the scent is light but nice. Reminds me of sugar coated Easter candy or something. I like it much more than P. mooreana which to me smelled kind of like funky grape soda. My fav is still P. x alatocaerulea aka P. x belotii.

-Robert

Comments (5)

• ange2006
    10 years ago

Very pretty.

Have you ever grown these from seed? I have one growing for three years and it still has not flowered.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I did buy some seeds on eBay but they never sprouted.
    This one was a rooted cutting I also bought off eBay. :)

-Robert

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Robert,

Your tropicals are oh-so-gorgeous. Every pic you've posted makes me want to run out and buy the same plant, but I know it'd/they'd never do as well as yours.

Have you ever heard of P. trifasciata? Or Passionvine tri-color?

I bought P. trifascita recently, 'although I vowed no more plants. :)'
    It's doing poorly.

I've grown Passionvine in the past. In fact, my first and only purple flower, scent-free Passiflora was sowed from seed..I'd probably still have it if it didn't freeze on the coldest night of winter. It was 14-yrs old until that icy night.

Anyway, any ideas? Thanks, Toni

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Toni,

Thank you. I have gone nuts with the tropicals this year. Laugh.

I've never heard of P. trifasciata. I looked it up and the leaves are gorgeous however it looks like it has no scent. Ha!

I'm hoping I get some blooms off P. alata this year. My OKC friend gave it to me in spring. Hoping it doesn't wait until fall to flower.

My favorite passi scent that I've sniffed so far is P. x decaisneana (another P. alata hybrid).
    It didn't bloom until fall so I had to move it into my partner's mother's sunroom where it opened inside and smelled amazing. Just like a Damask rose to my nose.
    Unfortunately it croaked in our basement over the winter and I haven't tried one since. The vines get huge! You need plenty of room for it.

-Robert

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hey Robert,

When you said you've gone crazy with tropicals this year, do you mean, you've added more, or by working with your regulars?

IMO, we're all a little crazy. lol

I recently saw a pic of P. trifasciata, which is how I ended up buying one.
    It IS difficult. Don't know if flowers are fragrant or not, but to be honest, I fell in love with foliage as soon as I saw a picture posted online.

Why you not want your alata to bloom in fall? It's wonderful when plants flower and scent the air, year round.
    One reason I love Jasmine, Maid of Orleans.'

Sorry you lost your PV. Seems some are fussier than others.

Perhaps someone who has cuttings or seeds will be kind enough to offer.

Anyway, thanks for looking up my guy. Toni