Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yellowthumb

Flowers from the yard

yellowthumb
11 years ago

Not sure why my post lost.

Flowers I got from yard today. They do smell great.

Comments (9)

• plantstakeover
    11 years ago

Wow Yellowthumb I am so impressed, you have a beautiful variety of fragrant plants. Do you grow them in containers or do you plant in ground and then bring in the winter. As I see you are from Ontario, I tried growing michelle Alba but with no success. Are your gardenias two different varieties. And love your sambac jasmines. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing very inspiring for me living in a colder climate. :)

• sheltiedad
    11 years ago

I assume this is Ontario, Canada and not Ontario, Calfornia - I thought only snowmen grow there in the Beautiful Great White North.

Here is my bowl of Michelle Alba to you.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Yellowthumb! Maybe it's about time you call yourself 'greenthumb'?

You have an amazing gift of growing such beautiful plants, and as mentioned, in COLD climates! There is no need for you to go to the tropics, you already brought them to you. NOw, can I come for a visit to your tropical paradise?

Your yard must smell lovely! What are those red flowers? I never saw them before.

Amazing buddy and thank you for sharing.

Shetiedad> Not bad. Beautiful. You have to love these plants, right?

Yellow, I am looking for the Champeca one. Still no luck!

Mike

• sheltiedad
    11 years ago

Thanks, Mike.
    I would dearly like to get a champaca. But then I hear that they take 7-9 years to bloom - probably will need to bequeath the plant to my kids.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Wow, it seems incredible you're in 5!! What are the red and the big pinkish one??

• yellowthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the nice word. Montreal guy has it or order from him. He has contact form Thailand. It's easy.

The small red flower is from my Pom tree. I have a flowering pom as well. It flowers with full double flower petals.

You must know the big pinkish one. It's hibiscus.

• fenius
    11 years ago

I thought so, but I didn't know of any hibiscus or pomegranate that smelled so I was a little confused!
    Actually I've read of a fragrant hawaiian hibiscus -that you've now led me to think about ordering!-but it's white..

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Lovely flowers!

To everyone interested in buying a grafted Champaca in the US; I emailed Gardino Nursery and Paula mentions that they are planning on obtaining grafted Champacas but it depends on how busy their grower is. In the meantime, you can email Gardino Nursery (Rareflora.com) to be put on a waiting list when it comes available you will be contacted.

If you have enough michelia and jasmine flowers, you can make a "tassel" and let it hang anywhere you want. In the old days in Thailand and Cambodia, they use to make more complex versions and hang them at the window with other flowers also. The breeze would blow through and carry the fragrance throughout the house.

Here's one I made...

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    11 years ago

Also, one more thing: Has anyone noticed that M. alba can sometimes take on a smell that is similar to Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides)? I usually notice this happens when the flowers wilt but remain mostly white/unoxidized.