Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify Gardenia problems

Posted by david_44 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:41

Hi,

Our gardenia in home garden, San Diego, has problem lately, buds dropping, areas of some leaves turned to grow black spots, not sure what they are, also some white stuff like fungus. We don't see any insects, but do see a lot of tiny ants. Are the problems due to spider mites?

Have searched this forum and many others, still not sure what are black/white stuff, and how to cure. Please help,see the photo.

Thanks

David

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify Gardenia problems

sooty mold?

o

Hi,
I see you are in zone 10a. I live in zone 10a also. I see the same thing on my gardenia and Jasmine on occasion for years. I usually leave it and with new growth, it some how disappears. I have not sprayed or did anything so far. I really don't know what it is, but it has not hurt my plant growth or blooms. All of my plants grow in the garden in full sun.

o

Hi

Thank you all for sharing. In my case ALL buds dropped,
no more flowers:-(

Very likely it's sooty mold, but we could not SEE any
visible insects, on our gardenia, which caused it. The following is from
my quick web search.

>Sooty mold grows on a substance called “honeydew”
>which is excreted from certain insects such
>as aphids, soft scales, whiteflies and mealybugs.

Any further suggestions? Thanks

o

I cannot tell if the white things are reflections or mealybugs???

o

David,
Organicide applied in spray bottle according to the instructions on the bottle.
Then, apply again in 10 days.
It'll be fine.

o

Hi

Thank you all for your helps, the white things looked like cotton balls, I could not see they are mealybugs, so probably some kind of fungus, see the attached photo.

o

I think this is mealybugs' eggs or smth, not fungus..if you google mealybugs you'll see similar photos of gardenias infested with mealybugs... they suck! especially with high humidity...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here