Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starlucidz9bdeltona

Osmanthus fragrans twig

I ordered an Osmanthus fragrans I was so excited I had read the faq and decided I must have and got this from the company.. Well do you all think this will survive? It is so incredibly small I just don't know if it will make it so far I'm keeping it in indirect sunlight and moist to see if it will sprout any new leaves. I wrote the online company to complain they haven't even responded that was a week and half ago.

Do you think it will survive? That is a pencil towering over my twig in the picture.

{{gwi:802234}}

Comments (13)

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

Heh that is small, I don't see why it wouldn't survive? Might want to water a bit of rooting hormone into the soil and give it a bit more light, but that's something I personally find helps some of the time.

RP1

• starlucidz9bdeltona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rising how would you do that? mix the powder stuff with water? I guess I would have to use a nano dropper for my twig. I'm so irked about this. I actually ordered a night blooming jasmine from these people which was like 13 inches tall. It is out on the yard enjoying the hurricane dennis monsoons which is what my area is getting.

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

Well it's a really half-assed way of doing it, but I just scatter a tiny bit of rooting hormone around the twig but not on it, and then just water in. Probably not advisable though and sometimes seems to burn leaves.

RP1

• longriver
    18 years ago

The plant looks healthy after shipping. It will gow nicely if you follow a general rule. Keep the young plant under a 50% shade shelter fisrt, good soil( either in pot or on ground) and proper moisture. It will grow. I once received an Os plant without any leaf and I planted it in a pot set in my green house. Then the new branches shot up from lower part of stem.

At present, I just made 12 grafts. The understocks are common Sweet Oliver. They all are taking. Two plants have inches of new growth. I am also making many rooting for fun.

Your picture showing one nice size flower( may be about 6 times larger than that of Sweet Oliver). It is possible belonging to the four seasons type Os fragans, origin from China. Even only one flower, you can detect strong fragrance.

• mare2
    18 years ago

That is a rip off, but am surprised you don't have them in nurseries in your area? Possibly even hardware stores. Am always blown away by how huge and relatively inexpensive Florida plants are compared to places that have to pay shipping and overwintering costs!
    The good news is your night blooming jasmine should grow really really fast. I'd use one of those liquid planting mixes on your teeny weeny bee bee--those Grow Start ones that they sell with fertilizers at garden centers. I think they have a rooting hormone mixed in.
    All the best to you and everyone else affected by Dennis! 'Mare

• starlucidz9bdeltona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Longriver that is actually a good idea! I have some potting mix that is for seedlings I think it might help my poor twig. Mare I did feel ripped off. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money I have not seen osmanthus fragrans I sort of live in the sticks and can't make it to nurseries with great selections too often. I did not realize there are different types of osmanthus fragrans but the teenie nano flower on this one does smell lovely.

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

check the local box store garden centers in the closest urban area to you.
    the lowe's/home depot in my area stock o. fragrans yearround and they are cheap - around $7.00 for a one-gallon about 20" tall.

• starlucidz9bdeltona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I recieved an email tonight after my continuous griping and the company is sending me another taller osmanthus. I hope it's bigger thanks for letting me vent all!

• starlucidz9bdeltona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Update got a bigger twig in the mail today I guess I'm happy now I got two! I put the itty bitty one in special seed starting soil and it seems to be growing small leaves so hopefully it will make it. Put the bigger twig in miracle grow potting soil hope they push out some new growth.

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

There are a lot of local nurseries that carry this plant now.... I have found it at 3 different nurseries here is So. CAlif... You got ripped off! I hope you didn't pay very much. The 1 gallon plants sell here for $8.00 and they are about 3 feet tall. I think your plant will survive.

• paulacr919
    18 years ago

Hi, Purchased an osmanthus fragrans online about a month ago. Looked great to start - about 18" tall, lots of leaves and a few buds. Subsequently buds dropped off and leaves have turned dull and dry looking and are falling one by one. I received it dry-rooted and immediately planted it in Miracle Grow potting soil - it is in a large picture window that gets bright NW light all day - no direct sunlight. Any ideas please? HELP! Paula

• longriver
    18 years ago

Paularc919, It seems an emergency room operation. Try to use a clear poly bag to build a minigreen house on top of it with wire cloth hanger and cloth pin if needed. Open two quarter size holes on the poly film for minimum air circulation. You then build up more humidity for the dehydrated plant. Place the pot at the location with light but no direct sun, warm but not hot location. It might help.
    Remember too wet may cause root problem. Do not over water the plant.

• bob_schatan
    18 years ago

Greetings all!

I bought an O. fragrans 'Fudingzu' last year and planted it in the garden. It survived the winter but has hardly grown at all after its' second season. I'd say it's about 8" tall at this point. It did double the number of leaves this year and otherwise appears healthy.

I'm only giving it compost and foliar feedings along with hits of Spray-n-Grow on occasion.

Be patient, they are slow to take off but the results are worth it.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Papillon's Art Palace