Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
egg magnolia

Posted by kemistry 8 - Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 15:18

I bought this plant from Logees last Fall, and it is now flowering. Only 1 flower but the whole livingroom is scented with a penetrating cataloupe perfume. Very fragrant!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: egg magnolia

a few minutes later..

o

Beautiful Kemistry...
It is very intense fragrance, I agree!!

o

Yup Radha. The scent sure was intense. Sadly for me, it was there only for a few hours, but that nice cantaloupe scent was worth the wait. :)

o

Nice photography, kem. Beautiful flower, too.

o

You egg magnolia needs a bit more sun. Mine growing a lot more compact than yours. I have mine behind a frost glass (60%) on a south facing window. The leaves should be a very hard leathery feeling.

The trick to this magnolia is organic fertilizer and moderate sun. It doesn't even mind low humidity. Mine not even have the black tips even in winter. This plant has massive root system.

o

Thanks all for your comments. This plant is indeed nice, but I still prefer m. alba for its long lasting fragrance.

o

Hi Kemistry!

WOW CONGRATS ON THE BLOOM!!!!! Good job taking care of it. :D I'm really so excited to see this. It's such a beautiful flower and lovely color too. And nice to hear it smells so good.

Thanks for the tips. :))

o

Musaboru!! I haven't seen you around here for a while. What are currently blooming for you? Are you growing any new plants this year? :)

o

It's nice to be back. My egg magnolia still hasn't bloomed yet.

The only thing I have blooming right now is Alba.
It's been giving me at least 6~12 blooms every single night for the past
two weeks (even I'm boggled by those numbers, it's never given me
so much before).

These are fresh picked. :)

I'm quite content right now with the varieties I have now. If anything,
I consider those Thai Michelia hybrids to be the holy grail. There are
hybrids between M. champaca and M. liliifera and cultivars of M. champaca
such as 'Sinuan' which according some msgs I read, is very fragrant and
on par with Alba, but has a different note to it.

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 16:11

Love those tropical magnolias, I thought about getting the egg magnolia this year. Musaboru, if you ever run across a U.S. source for some of those Thai hybrids . . . count me in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here