Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tini7777

Jasminum mali pikul

tini7777
10 years ago

Hi, I m looking 4 anyone that might want to sell their mail pikul or some of its clippings or happens to know a reasonably priced site where I can buy one. I can't afford to get it from Thailand.

Thanks,
Tini

Comments (75)

• bunti
    10 years ago

Radha,

Do you remember i have mentioned to you that i have this variety but i am in observation of making sure this is new cultivar or not. I have mentioned it as semi grand duke.

2014 first jasminum bloom.

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Bunti, Keep me posted. I got few cuttings from India. My aunt said they were all different varieties. They are still small twigs. My mother also has a very different variety of Jasmine. It smells like belle of India, the flower and leaves and their texture resembles what they call Molle. "In telugu.. Virajajji." I was sure it is J. Molle, when I smelled it, I was pleasently surprized by its distinct Belle fragrance. I will ask them to send me a pic. The plant and the flowers were beautiful. She did send me cuttings but they did'nt take. Once weather is better, I will ask her to send me again. She also has 2 different varieties.
    There is one distinct variety in Tamil Nadu, Called Madhurai malli.. They consider this to be one of the better variety, and it has more substance to it and can last long in garlands. Maybe one of these days we can get hold of it. Let me know of your variety and once I have blooms we can compare and see..

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies,
    Thank you for your offer. Whenever your weather is better and you can ship, let me know. If it is better for you purchase and mail it, let me know your expense and I will pay asap. If you want Grand duke in exchange, that is also fine by me. Either way your preference.Please send me an email at your convinience. Thank you again.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Hi All,

Looks like lot of folks are interested in getting this new Jasmine variety, few have sent email to me as well. Just to make sure I went to the Doans nursery today to check on the inventory, they have many in stock and was told that most of these jasmines get sold in march and april. Jasmines plants are i think in 1 gallon plastic container and they cost between $8 to $12 depending on the plant size.

This nursery has no return/refund policy. If you are sure about buying this jasmine, let me know I can get now and ship them when the weather is better. I have never shipped any plants before and have no idea about packing plants for shipping. Nursery folks told me that they cannot pack for shipping, so I need instructions from experienced folks for packing/shipping.

@Bunti - I received your email, will reply to it.

@Tini - This is not an Arabian Jasmine variety, I remember one other forum member mrao mentioning it as an Asian jasmine and i think it might be Thai origin but i'm not sure.

@Radha - Sure, I can exchange for GD Tuscany or Belle of India or Mali pikul if you have one to spare.

• bunti
    10 years ago

Fruits veggies,

You can order tubers from USPS for free. As you are in central location, wherever you ship, its going to be less than or around $10 for shipping.
    I feel USPS is cheap and fast. it took only 3-4 days whenever I shipped.

Rearding how to ship..
    Take out the plant from pot, drop the little soil around the roots. wrap it in the cover.once you put the plant in the box tape the roots part, so that it won't move and close the box. These Boxes are very convenient.

Thank you for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: USPS tuber

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

I agree. USPS takes 2-3 days, but the boxes are convenient. I would tape the plant to the box. When I get plants shipped from Ebay etc, sometimes I see peanut packing material so the plant does'nt bounce.

Let me know when you want plant shipped from my end. When ever you think you are safe to recieve the plant depending on your weather, I can ship Grand duke of Tuscany Asap.
    FYI , the flower is this.. The first pic in this thread.

The leaves are of another plant in the background. The 8 th pic is the hedge of Grand duke of Tuscany plants I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: First pic and 8th pic

• bunti
    10 years ago

Radha, is "sanna jaji" different from jasminum azoricum?

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

To my knowledge, Sannajaji is Azoricum. But there are many varieties of the slender stalk flowers with 5-9 petals that have similar fragrance. I have one given by a local friend which has slightly different fragrance and has longer and slender stalk and more delicate flowers than Azoricum. If you look at TT website there is also another variety,called J. adenophyllum. I have seen this in India, and I remember the small purple berries. The rest of J. such as Volubile, Nitidum,Tortuosum do have similar petals but not the fragrance.

In the thread i linked above if you look at the second set of flowers posted by me, 3and 4 is J. Azoricum and 8and 9 is the other variety. Both have different smells and are very fragrant. They both have different smells than J. Molle.

let me know if you like the flower, I can make rootings for you.

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Bunti,
    the only non fragrant (none at all) but I think is beautiful flower and substance is J. multiflorum. It is called Molla. It is used as the white flower in the muticolored garlands using Marjoram or Davana and orange crossandra and mollalu. (kabambamala) I saw it in many places in India, in Andhra, Tamil nadu, Mumbai etc.. These flowers last long and therefore are some times used.

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Wow radha you seem to have all cultivars of fragrant jasmines. Do you have these outside in ground or maintain in pots? For me J. azoricum fragrance is like 'sunna jaji' but you are right about the flower structure that seems to be 'sunna jaji' from India is pic# 8 not J.azoricum.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Hi All, I went to the nursery this weekend and got some pictures of the young Jasmine plants including few GD Supreme . One of the nursery staff told me that the prices are between $6 and $12, not sure what they are going to charge when I finally buy them.

Some of the plants are tiny and some are little grown up, please check the below images.

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

How beautiful. I wish there was a nursery with this inventory close to my place. I think it is better to get a decent sized plant, so it can withstand the travel.I will send you an email.
    Thanks.

• charu_2006
    10 years ago

Hi Radha,

I am Charu and I am new to the post. I a big fan of jasmine plants and I have several varieties in my garden. I live in the bay area. Is it possible for you to ship me one Grand Duke Supreme? I will pay you shipping and even double the price of one plant. I am badly in need of GDS.

Thanks

• charu_2006
    10 years ago

Hi fruit veggies,

Please let me know what is the best way to contact you. I am looking for GDS jasmine,

Thanks

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

hi charu,

I completely understand your wish to have new Jasmine cultivar/varieties because I'm also looking to add other jasmines. I can get one for you.

Btw, I'm sure many of us here in the forum are glad to help fellow gardeners but I don't think anyone would make a profit with helping gardeners :-)

Either we can trade or just send the invoice plus shipping.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Fruits...Can I join the list? I too would pay you back and shipping....I can't find a decent sized one any where around me...

If not, it's ok.

Thanks so much!

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Charu,
    the plants I have are Grand duke mostly. I have a couple of Grand duke supreme, but it may take me 2-3 months to root it for you, if you are interested.

Radha.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Sure Mike,

you want both GDS and Asian/Unknown Jasmine or only GDS.

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Fruits.veggies, Can you add me to the list too for Asian variety jasmine. Sorry to bother you with this but could not stop myself from asking for it. I will pay for the shipment and the the price for the plant. I called the nursery and they do not do mail orders.

If you are interested in any other variety of jasmine that you do not have I can do that exchange as well. I have jasmine molle and jasmine grand duke for exchange if you are interested. Thanks

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Go Fruits.Veggies! I think you are amazing for doing this. :) Everyone, when your plants bloom please post some pictures. The unknown GD is so pretty.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Thanks kemistry...

Not a prob Kandhi, I can get few more jasmines. Sure, either you can send the money or we can exchange.

I plan to get the Jasmine plants some time around the second week of April. I already committed for about 20 plants, I can get some more if anyone else is interested.

This nursery has no return/refund policy, I don't have space to keep all the left over jasmines :-) let me know only if you are really interested and ready to pay for plant plus shipping.

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Fruits.Veggies, Thanks again for taking effort to do this for fellow gardeners. Can you give me an email address where I can reach you ?

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Fruits. You are very kind for us. That is what I like about this place!

I would take both and pay for everything. Please let us know when we should pay you.
    Here is my e-mail in case you need be.

Mikerno_1@yahoo.com

Again. Thank you so much and it is a great idea to post pics when they do bloom. I will do that for sure.

Mike

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

@kandhi - you can send email thru my profile.

@mike - I can get you both, I'll update the forum when I can ship them. Regarding payment, nothing urgent, as I mentioned before, this is the first time I'm going to ship live plants, so no idea of shipping cost. Will give the total cost after shipping the plants.

• mamata
    10 years ago

HI Everyone
    I stay at dallas saw fruits and veggies info and went to Doans nursery it was nice bought the unknown variety. You all can also try at http://www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com/ they do sell jasmine plants at reasonable rates. try it out.

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

hi mamata, are the Jasmines in Doan's still in the green house or outdoors. Last time I checked, Doan's folks told me that they are planning to move them outdoors by early/middle of April.

Btw, did you had a chance to check the email I sent.

• mamata
    10 years ago

Fruits Veggies,
    They have it indoor in covered place. I kept mine too inside will move out tommorow. Hey I have been sending mail to you everytime but looks like you are not receiving. Today too I sent a detail mail of what all plants I have I also sent you contact no. I think it is going to forum email. Can you check and reply. Once again thanks for the info. Is it the same plant the one you put the picture as unknown plant ?

• fruits_veggies
    10 years ago

Mamata, not sure why you are not getting my mails and i'm not receiving your mails. Many forum members were able to send email to me.

I just sent a test email, please check and let me know whether you had received it.

Thanks

• tini7777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To Sharanz,
    Sorry I have tried to email you back but for some reason it is not going through. Regarding the Jasmine Belle of India, they sell them at a grocery store here named Caputos in the summer and at a nursery called Platt Hill nursery. If you want, let me know if you are in Chicago n we can make arrangements for you to pick it up. The plant is big so shipping might get a bit pricy. It's a good deal for $15 dollars. I think it's about a gallon or more size plant.

• tini7777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I came across this variety at my local Mandir as a Prasad and almost dropped dead at how gorgeous and big this Jasmine was but I don't know the variety or hybrid. Any guesses anyone. It is NOT look like Mali Chat which is the closest three layered variety I could find. It is bigger, more separated layers and rounder petals.

Thanks Tini

• tini7777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are some more pics of this beautiful Jasmine.

• tini7777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic

• tini7777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry posting so many times. Can't seem to put all the pics in one posting

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Congrats! It is gorgeous but the real question is how's the scent compared to other sambac jasmines? :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Tini, that one is a lot like the J. sambac Flore Plena in Logee's catalog. But not quite the same. Each flower tier seems to be spaced more apart than 'Flore Plena'.

This post was edited by musaboru on Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 18:16

• smatta
    9 years ago

Tini, It's beautiful. I have been looking for this variety forever...:-) I grew up with this variety of Jasmine back home. I remember this to be as fragrant as Belle of India but the bud and flower to be more like Mysore malli.

Sushmita

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Sushmita and Tini,

I don't know if this is different flower or if it is a healthy flower and so it looks bigger. But as Sushmita said, there is a variety called "Pandiri Malli" which has longer bud, 3 layers and is definitely not Belle or Mysore Mulli. This one is more vining and I am trying to see the few I got from India will show any of this kind of flower.
    Tini, Mali chat is really a very small flower.what you have is a bigger flower.

• charu_2006
    9 years ago

Hi Fruit.Veggies,

Can you try to get me one Grand Duke Supreme from that Vietnamese nursery? I live in San Jose. I hope I am not troubling you. Tell me the final invoice and shipping price.

Hi Radha,

I have a huge Mysore mulli plant. I will be making a few plants from it this summer. I will be happy to trade with you.

thanks all

• charu_2006
    9 years ago

My Grand Duke looks like this.

• charu_2006
    9 years ago

Here is my Mysore mulli. I made a lei out of it.

• charu_2006
    9 years ago

Can someone help me find the regular Belle of India? The picture of Mysore malli I posted looks like Belle of India Elongata. I am looking for the shorter petals one. Is the one in Logees the regular Belle of India? I asked them but they weren't sure.

Thanks

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

You are all AMAZING with so many flowers..So beautiful!!!

Fruits..Thank you so much..

Charu..Ho in the world do you get soooooooooooooo many flowers? Do you have tons of plants?

Thank you

MIke

• charu_2006
    9 years ago

Thank you Mike. Those flowers are from a single plant. My plant is 2 years old and is over 10 feet tall on a trellis against the wall. It is always in bloom from spring thru fall. Yes, this one plant is enough to make any number of leis. I also have this French perfume jasmine which too is a great bloomer and the fragrance is heavenly.

Hi fruits.veggies,

Can't wait for your reply.

Thanks
    charu

• smatta
    9 years ago

Radha, Wow nice, Do post pictures if yours turns out to be "pandiri malli". Do you know if "dontara malli" is same as "pandiri malli"?

Charu, Beautiful blooms of belle of India.

Sushmita

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Sushmita,

The above flower by Tini that has 3 layers could be dontara malli.It does not have long petals that we see in Pandiri malli. Pandiri Malli is one of my favorite flower. Hopefully I will have some flowers from the plants I got from India and will post them. I could talk days about jasmines, and I just love the local names of these flowers... Dontara malli, Pandiri malli, Bondu malli...Makes me so nostalgic.

• tini7777
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am going to India soon. Any one who where I can get the jasmine flower I posted above. Also what would the name of the jasmine be called in India as they go by some many names. I will be in gujarat. Dontara malli, Pandiri malli, Bondu malli? Are these all different? If anyone has this Jasmine, are you willing to sell/share/trade some clippings with me.

Thanks Tini

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

Tini,
    to clarify..
    they are all different flowers..
    the 3 layered flower you have holding is called Dontara malli.. Belle of India that does not have the really long stem that you see here is Pandiri malli.. Bondu malli is Grand duke. These are Telugu names for Various Jasmines.
    But there are other varieties as you know here, available from other parts of the world.
    The Mallichat which is really a small flower, Malipikul which has 2 layers and has a lotus like appearence. Then there is Grand Duke supreme , a really large flower . Arabian nights jasmine is also a slightly different flower. And you know the regular J. sambac and Jasmine Mysore mulli/J.multipetals..The belle of India flower I see here is a larger flower than the Belle of India i saw in India.
    Hope this helps.
    If you want cuttings then I have Grand duke, Belle of India and Jasmine sambac, mysore mulli to offer..GDS and Malichat and Mali pikul are small to cut now, but I can in 6 months or so

Radha.

• fruits_veggies
    9 years ago

Hi All,

I'm planning to get the jasmine plants next week, I already got email confirmation from few members. If anyone else is interested please send email thru my profile.

• leonora g santos
    7 years ago

I am interested in different type or species of jasmine.Call me leony.

• Manisha A
    4 months ago

Anyone have kannada/udipi malli?

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional