Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roberta_mac

Star jasmine leaves turning red, help?

roberta_mac
16 years ago

My husband bought me this beautiful star jasmine for our anniversary in May. And with a little reading, I've kept very good care of it. Until this week it seems, the leaves are turning red! We've had a very dry, hot summer, so I've watered it every other, once every three days since June, and it didn't do this, the care I've given it hasn't changed at all. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, here are the pictures:

{{gwi:802798}}

{{gwi:802799}}

I love this plant, and hope to add more jasmine in the future, so any help would be great! Thanks in advance.

-Roberta

Comments (15)

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Are you fertilizing it occasionally with an organic fertilizer? I'm using algoflash, it's great!

The plant looks beautiful otherwise, are you going to pot it for the winter?

I'd fertilize it and see if that helps it any....

• roberta_mac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mersiepoo- If it starts to look worse, I'll have to give the fertilizer a try. And yes, I plan on repotting it for the winter. (Oh my goodness yes, a $50.00 plant? Do people really buy these just for the summer and then let them die? I'll start up a collection!)

jimshy- I think you're right, because otherwise it is a healthy plant. I was just freaking out because this is something new to me. When you look at it, the extra color does make it look nice.

Thanks for the advise!

• dunsmoir
    16 years ago

I have one that refuses to bloom indoors or out in full sun. Any suggestions. And yes, I have given it a fertilizer for flowering plants and roses.

• altoclef
    15 years ago

Over the last 25 years about 8 star jasmine plants have covered our fence. In the last 3 years, we having been losing one or two each year. The leaves turn a gorgeous red in the fall-winter, fall off completely, and the plant never recovers. Age? Only the older plants are doing this. Roberta's plant does not at all look like ours in full color. The color of her one visible red leaf is a bright orange red. All our leaves turn deep red-magenta.

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Altoclef,

I'd say it's a root problem, with the older plants' roots hitting a layer of clay or something that they don't like, do you know what your soil composition is, or do you have any similar problems with older plants up and dying on you?

It's also possible that the plants are just hitting the end of their natural life cycle, but my impression is that star jasmine can last for decades, so that doesn't seem right. Do all the plants turn red in winter, or just the ones that die? What's the minimum winter temperature you've been having, sometimes a cold, wet snap can damage the roots.

Hope this provides some clues, and we can stop the mysterious die-off before they all go!

Jim

• sore_muscles
    13 years ago

Had same problem. Nursery expert said to ease off the water. I was watering too much, because of nearby plants that needed it. Established jasmine don't need so much. Result: bye-bye red leaves.

• david_reeves_home_ntlworld_com
    13 years ago

Hi Sore Muscles,

Do you mean that the red leaves turned green again? I hope so - I have a 10 yr old star jasmine which has gone completely red. It's one of 3 against a fence and is the only one which has gone red. I'm hoping that it can be reversed as it's taken me 10 years to get them this size!!

I'm in London UK so the winters aren't too bad here.

• sea_farm_cheryl_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have the same problem with two of my 3 large star jasmine. They turn red then drop its leaves. Even at the top. If it's a root problem how can I fix it? I planted them in the ground during the winter while the ground was soft enough dig a hole. It's spring and they started once the warm weather set in.

• giovia_annette
    7 years ago

I have 2 star Jasmine's growing in containers on my patio. They are flourishing, but the lower leaves on both are sporting red leaves here and there. The plants are still growing though. I don't over water them though. Should I feed them, and with what? I am hesitating unpotting them and planting them in the ground. Help!

• David Cook
    3 years ago

Absolutely the same.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    3 years ago

How does anyone find threads this old?

• HU-572076241
    3 years ago

I found it because I googled? And got the answer I needed 😊

• HU-81615211
    3 years ago

The question is, what happened to Jasmine?

• HU-928637666
    2 months ago

You know what, this jasmine is common as a pot plant in Korea, and most often features a heavy sprinkling of red leaves. If you let it get a little root-bound in a pot, and don't give it too much water & fertilizer, thats how it gets. These toughened red leaves and the twisty contortions of the branches that come with with it are considered attractive & interesting. Its probably how it is in nature in some environments. So maybe its not something to get anxious over.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer