Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

2 New Gardenias

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Howdy..Last May I purchased 2 variegated Gardenias from Almost Eden Plants. One dwarf, the other standard. The dwarf bloomed one flower this summer, which was a surprise.

Anyway, my question is, I'd like to grow the standard as a tree..To do this, do I need to graft or can I cut back branches? Thanks, Toni

Comments (9)

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Toni, with your expertise, I am sure both work for you.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Snasxs..thanks, if only that were the case..
    Years ago I bought a variegated 'denia, and a dwarf green..both kicked the bucket.
    Don't want a repeat..which is why I posted this question.
    For instant, because they're variegated, do they need more sun? Does a dwarf require as much fert as standard?
    Snasxs, are 'denia's hardy in VA?? Since you're in z7/8 I would think there are some types that grow outdoors in your area yr round.
    Snasxs, you are SO lucky living down south..well, SE in your case. It's so pretty, beautiful in fact. Toni

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

i don't want to dampen your spirits too much but the variegated gardenias are not as robust as the solid greens in my area where those grow very well without special attention. i have found that the variegated dwarf just never performed well and eventually played out.
    i have had a variegated gardenia of the standard leaf size for years and it has never bloomed although i really wanted it just for the foliage. also, that one seemed to resent very much sun and the leaf edges would brown. i moved it into a woodland area with bright, dappled light and the foliage looked much better. i can say that it is also not as cold hardy for me and would drop a lot of leaves in the winter whereas my solid green leaved ones do not.
    my standard variegated one is not grafted so i would suggest simply pruning and staking to achieve the form you want and trying to propagate the pruned branches.
    good luck!
    does yours look like this one? it has a lot of white in the foliage.
    {{gwi:802829}} (click for larger image)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff..Wow your variegated Gardenia is gorgeous! Yours has a LOT more white than mine. May I ask its age? How often and what type of fertilizer do you use?
    Do you have a dwarf denia now or is it a goner?
    So are you saying, (especially since I'm in IL, where tropicals come indoors during winter,) it will probably kick the bucket?
    Jeff, I'm assuming your gardenias are in containers, right? You mention moving them around. I can't imagine digging from the earth to relocate. That in itself wouldn't do a plant justice.
    Do you keep 'denias out year round? Since the variegated 'denias aren't as hardy as green, leaves dropping, can you place indoors once autumn/winter comes? Or do you think they fall for another reason?
    Now I'm confused. Variegated plants need more sun than green..but you're saying leaves brown when given more light..darn, this is confusing. How much sun are you talking about? Direct south or west for instance?
    As of now, my oldest Gardenia (green) is placed out front sheltering younger, (newer) variegated denias. The standard Var denia is, (I'd have to measure for accuracy) about 1 1/2' tall, the dwarf maybe 8" with approximately an 8" diameter. I'm assuming dwarfs grow wider than tall.
    Like you, I wanted the vareigated more for leaf color, but it'd be nice if it bloomed, too. lol
    Jeff, do you provide the same care for both green and variegated? Feeding, etc?
    Years ago I bought a trailing, dwarf 'denia that's long gone. At the time I had no idea what I was doing..for instance, it was potted in standard potting soil, and the container (a generic hanging basket) that came with the plant, had NO drainage. I'm certain it was water-logged and wrong pH.
    LOL, you didnt want to dampen my spirits..Should I toss them now? LOLOL
    I'll take special care and see what happens..it's winter that worries me..dry air, and less sun. One advantage is our back room is cool in winter, denia's prefer cool vs hot, stuffy rooms. Hot and stuffy rooms attract insects for one, especially mites. Depending on the temp this winter, I may place a rotating fan and run it a few hours per day.

Anyway, I think your variegated gardenia is stunning Jeff. Would you happen to know which species it is?

One more thing..I was browsing Gardenias on Almost Eden Plants..they have one called Daisy Gardenia..Do you or anyone else have one? I did some reading on this plant, and a few people said it was much more difficult keeping than other gardenias..
    The others available are: August Beauty, Mystery, and Vietchii. Anyone grow these beautys?

Almost Eden has lovely plants..I wouldnt mind one of each..LOL..I'm also thinking about getting a Tabernaemontana..Does anyone know if this plant is gardenia relative?

Jeff, I hope your denias do well. That variegated is truly something..Was it as white when you first purchased it? Thanks, Toni

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

hi toni,
    no, i am not saying it is a hopeless cause for your variegated plants but rather that they tend to be more demanding, esp. in my case since i do pretty much nothing but plant them outdoors (no containers of gardenias) and water when they need it.
    after that, they are on their own. i do not fertilize or amend the soil. apparently the soils and climate here are well suited for growing them.
    the plant pictured is about 3' tall and not as wide. i dug it up from a more sunny position in my yard and placed it near the edge of deciduous woods where it gets winter sun and summer dappled shade. i think it was about 1.5' tall when i planted it maybe 4-5 years ago.
    the thing you are saying that variegation requires more sun can be true for some plants. from what i have read, this is true for yellowish or green variegation tones but white and cream are weaker tissue areas and are inclined to burn in full sun as they have no chlorophyl. i think this makes those leaf areas more apt to suffer insect and cold damage, also.
    my dwarf or trailing gardenia died years ago and, after planting 3 or 4 of those, i decided to stick with the standard ones. i have only lost one of those when we had a real winter with temps in the 'teens for several nights.
    as for you other questions;
    it is gardenia augusta 'variegata' and the variegation pattern is about the same now as when i purchased it (more creamy white in shade and was more yellowish=ugly combination in sun). i found it on the bargain rack at a box-store garden center.
    i do grow 'daisy' and find it no more challenging than any other upright cultivar. it is reblooming now a bit after a nice flush in may but the form of the plant is more vertical and i prefer a rounded or spreading shape.
    'mystery' is my favorite of the ones i grow. beautiful form (both plant and flowers) and great fragrance. my shrub is about 7'x7' and gets practically no direct summer sun until a couple of hours before sundown.
    consider that my comments are what seem to work in my hot zone and the more northern gardeners should seek out suggestions from others in similar climates.
    these shrubs are placed by some folk here in full sun but the flowers quickly fade. since i find they flower well in bright conditions with less sun, i plant them there and enjoy the flowers for a longer period.
    i am fortunate to live in an area where they are good garden subjects that aren't demanding.
    i would like to have a lilac in my yard but those are not easy here. ;-)

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Jeff, that variegated gardenia is very pretty!! I didn't even know they come in a variegated. I've certainly never noticed them around here, but maybe I overlooked them because I didn't know about them? It is really nice though.

Toni, I have a Reg. green leaf Dwarf Gardenia, but would love to get a variegated one. Mine is a bush, not a standard...Good luck with yours. By the way I posted a link to the Dynamite fertilizer on the other post, the one you asked about...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Jeff.
    I realize you're talking about AL..Something I planned on commenting before.
    Alabama is a beautiful, cozy state. We were there in 2000. The climate is perfect for me, my birds and plants.
    I would have loved to stay longer, but we had a plane to catch.
    Basically, I love the south, period. We've been to GA and TN. People down south are so laid-back. Life is relaxing.
    Ironically, southern IL is a nice place too. Plus ups zone from 5 to 6. I wouldn't mind living there, but my family are in Chicago or up northp; leaving would be difficult.

About the variegated Gardenias...Well, all I can do is try. It's not summer that worries me, it's winter..once heat is turned on..
    Some people claim all variegated plants are harder to keep than green, let alone Gardenias..The one thread, Suicide whatever is funny..Wish I could remember its name, wouldnt' mind reading it again..LOL

Once 'denias come indoors, they're going in the same room the green denia has been living in since 94. (minus summer)

I'd love seeing a 7' Gardenia..That's one advantage growing in the ground..

I've decided to hold off buying Gadenia's until next spring..(maybe) LOL. I want to see how these guys do. If they survive, then I'll buy one or two more..If the Augusta variegata came along, It'd end up in my cart..LOL
    I doubt that'll happen though. The colors on yours are really really nice.

Yes, Lilacs are nice, too. In spring when they bud/flower, the air smells heavenly. I may have a variegated lilac in the garden..LOL..not sure..I'll know more next spring. One nursery I order from sends the wrong plants. They used to be dependable, but not anymore..They have the worse feedback on Gardenwatchdog.com
    Thanks for your help..

Pug, www.almostedenplants.com sells really nice variegated gardenias..That's where I bought my two. One dwarf, one standard. They ship nice-sizes..all arrive in perfect health.
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out..
    Have a great night, Toni

Jeff have you ever been to IL? Temps have been in the late 90's to 101F the last 3 weeks. Humdity has been high too. 96-100%.
    Though winters are long and depressing, they're milder than they used to be. Annuals reseed, germinate in spring, something that never happened 10 yrs ago.
    People in Chicago and Canada are growing palms outdoors year round. Next spring, I may give it a try. I planted Poncirus trifoliage (sour orange) and Bansoo Banana this year; hope they live.

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Thanks Toni for the plant link. If I don't find it locally and I really can't live without it I'll check them out. I just HATE paying for shipping...unless I have to have a specific plant and no one around here has it, LOL...you know how that goes!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pug, here's the link of Gardenias sold at Almost Eden. Both variegated 'denias are pictured, not full shots..

http://www.almostedenplants.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes

I sure understand what you mean about shipping prices. I don't want to mention names, but today got an order of African Violets. They automatically charge 12.75..It doesn't matter if you buy one or ten plants.
    I checked shipping costs on the box..it came out to 6.75. So, where does the extra money go?
    The postal service offers free boxes. I understand they have to make some profit, but surely the do on plant costs. Buy one AV and make 'x' number of plants from a leaf. Since most nurseries are located in warm climates like Fl, babies are fast-growing. Again, think of the number of plants that will grow from one full plant. Cuttings and seeds.
    Since you're in Fl you should find one..good luck, Toni