Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampweed

Night Blooming Jasmine too wet in ground?

swampweed
15 years ago

I have had several large NBJs in pots for years, no problem. They also propagate little volunteers that root in the soil in my back yard. Again, no problem; I pot up the young ones and give them to friends, or move them to another spot in the yard. One volunteer began to grow too close to my house foundation a couple of years ago, and it got to be 12 feet high! My husband and I carefully dug it up (after trimming it back by about 3 feet) last March. We put it into a new spot, part sun/part shade, good air circulation (and a slight slope for drainage) and we babied it for about 6 weeks, watering it every day. Success! Happy plant! Soon grew back to 12 feet, thick leaves, all was well. Good strong growth and health during all of April, May and June. In July, daily rainstorms started (not constant rain, but pop-up thunderstorms, sometimes heavy rain). After about 2 weeks of these storms, now in 3rd week of July the jasmine's leaves have been noticeable droopy for the last 3 days. The smaller jasmine we transplanted beside it is still looking normal. Since the soil is wet (but no standing water), I of course have NOT been giving them additional water. What else can I do? Should I prune it? Pray over it? Pray the rains stop? I've never had a problem with night-blooming jasmines, other than occasional mealybugs or letting the potted plants get too dry in the autumn. This tree (yes, it's that big) was fat, healthy and growing for a full 3 months after its initial transplant shock last March. There are no bugs on it at all, although there are a few narrow splits in the bark about 4 feet up the trunk (I guess because it's grown so much).

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm