Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diamondm_gw

sweet olive

diamondm
16 years ago

I am growing an osmanthus fragrans in a container, but the new leaves look rather yellow. It gets about 8 hours of full sun a day- is that too much? What else could it be? thanks

pic:

Comments (4)

• shsing2000
    16 years ago

How old are the leaves? Mine usually turn a darker green gradually.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Have you fertilized it? those leaves look chlorotic.

• User
    16 years ago

What zone are you in?
    Why is the one leaf cut?
    Was it brown on the end? A little bit of Epson Salts in water will take care of browning edges of the leaves.
    Your sweet olive looks fine. It is probably lighter because it is a young leaf. It will darken up. Looks healthy to me.
    By the way, they grow slowly, so don't loose patience with it.You have it inside in August?
    Mine is in a pot that is tera cota also, I put it out in May. It loves it outside, but it has sun from sunrise til about 3:30 in the afternoon. More than 8 hours.
    GOod Luck with your sweet olive.
    Wait til you smell it blooming!

• longriver
    16 years ago

I made many cuttings of Os.every year and some look like that. It will be Okay later when the root is well developed. A balanced fertilizer with micro-elements should help.

The blossom time will be a month away. Some cultivars will bloom off and on for over 200 days per year. Creamy white color is common. There are also pure white, golden yellow and orange red flowers in different shades. A few will set seeds.