Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenoftheforest

Fragrant Tea Olive in zone 7?

queenoftheforest
9 years ago

Has anyone successfully grown a Fragrant Tea Olive in zone 7? I bought one at my local box store, and the tag said good hedge plant...

Comments (8)

• ocelaris
    9 years ago

Zone 7 runs from Texas to Long Island, so it depends what "zone 7" you are talking about. Where are you located more specifically? Basically South of Virginia you're probably fine under best circumstances, North of that there are some hardier crosses and relatives but not likely Tea olive.

But chances are if they sell it at your local box store it is hardy; they don't sell Osmanthus in the DC area, and certainly not in the NYC metro area (both are zone 7). I have 2 Osmanthus fragrans 'auranticus' which I have outside and will see how they do! I will wrap them in the winter with bubble wrap for the first few years to help them get established. Also I baby them with good soil and regular drip irrigation; and have sited them appropriately, so just because your neighbor's plant survives doesn't necessarily mean yours will.

Osmanthus fragrans is "sweet tea olive", really meant for "the south"
    Osmanthus heterophyllus is a close relative that looks like a holly which is fully hardy to zone 6
    Osmanthus fortunei is a cross between the two and is hardy as well.

• queenoftheforest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I'm in RIC va, so I guess we will see what happens. I planted it in front of the house (bc it was labeled a hedge plant,) where it pretty much gets sun till 3 or 4 pm. So I'm a little worried it's too much sun for now, but may help it survive the winter?

• queenoftheforest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Ocelaris, thanks. Very informative. I will keep it watered well to get it established, and I did apply some compost when I planted it near the south facing front of my house.

• restoner
    9 years ago

My Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu' was cut to the ground this past winter but it's coming back. It's a small plant but it bloomed last fall. Also have several varieties of Osmanthus xFortunei and heterophyllus that had no damage at all.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

My four year old O. fragrans suffered a little dieback in the single digit temperatures we had several times this past winter....less than ten inches from the very top.

Ours was maybe three feet tall (a three gallon baby) when it was given to us and it was (prior to pruning after die back) over nine feet tall, a big, hefty beauty covered in flowers from the very beginning.

Ours is planted in heavy clay but fast draining soil, without amendments. It was watered deeply but infrequently throughout its
    establishment period, fertilized very conservatively (if at all), and is kept well mulched.

It's in a location that receives full sun from sun up until early afternoon when it becomes shaded by the house.

I couldn't be more pleased with how it has thrived here. My neighbor bought it for us at one of the local big box stores. I've been pleasantly surprised that it has tolerated the cold temperatures we can have here.

• Eliza A Head
    3 years ago

Yes, most definitely. Mine has bloomed multiple times this year and is in full bloom again.

• Mrs. Blennerhassit
    10 months ago

I live on Long Island - bought an osmanthus ("Ozzie") and it lost every single leaf during the winter. I thought I'd lost it, but it's putting out new leaves just now (end of May)! Now that I know about the whole moisture issue, I will build a protective temporary greenhouse around it this fall and try to keep it protected during the winter, see if I can do any better for it. It's just a wee thing, maybe two feet tall - so glad I didn't kill it!