Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

My Crinum 'Summer Nocturne' finally bloomed!

I bought this beauty back in February from Almost Eden.

As usual it was a large and healthy specimen.

Knowing it's a bog plant (water hog) I planted it in a big plastic pot from Target that has a saucer attached to the bottom (you know the kind that you'd normally avoid to allow the water to drain through).

It has a sweet scent that reminds me of angel trumpets (brugmansia).

My only gripe is the blooms opened at dusk and were spent by the time I got home the next day. :(

Anyone have any experience with this one?

-Robert

Comments (11)

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi, Robert. I guess everyone else is busy watching Olympics and trying to smell the medals. LOL.
    It is truly a beauty! Very elegant. Thanks for posting the pictures and describing its scent . Anything that is frangrant will be on my wish list.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Olympia!

You're welcome. I try to post the information that I'm looking for about a plant to help others decide if they want to try a plant or not.
    I didn't read anywhere about the blooms only lasting less than a day. Had I known I might not have tried this plant. Of course it could also be our extremely high temperatures that is causing this (supposed to be 111 for the next three days).

-Robert

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Olympia, think I'm the only person in the world not watching the Olympics. lol.

Robert. Maybe you can help. Again..."_

Via an order at an IL nursery, they sent small bulbs in a plastic bag.
    This would be late 90's.

One package said Mini-Amaryllis.
    Well, instead of tossing like most other bulbs this company sent, (green Clover,) I tossed the bulbs in an Epiphyllum, not expecting much.

Time passed, I totally forgot about the bulbs. Then one summer, I noticed blade-like foliage growing in the same pot as Epi. Then they flowered.

While Googling a certain plants one day, I came across Crinium. My eyes might have been seeing things, but I thought the flowering bulbs looked more like Crinium than any Amaryllis I've ever seen. Then again, I've never spied mini-Ams.

Can you please tell me if this plant is an Amaryllis or Crinium..Remember, it's miniature.

{{gwi:88397}}

Closeup

By the way, your Crinium is beautiful. Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm no expert but if I had to guess I'd go with Rain Lilies - Zephyranthes grandiflora.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Lilies

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Oh Goodness. Another option, lol.

Yes, my plant can certainly pass for Zephyranthes grandiflora.
    Guess it's time to add the correct name on Flickr..

Sheesh, why would a reputable nursery send bulbs with the incorrect name written on the bag?? Toni

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well if they are rain lilies they are in the amaryllis family! ;)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Just how many in the heck FRAGRANT plants do you won Robert!?

Beautiful! Now, do you have any favorite?

If I was to ever come for a visit, I'd bet I would be in fragrant heaven.

Mike

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! You made me laugh, Mike. ;)

I own far too many fragrant plants to answer your question.
    Especially since we're going through a terrible drought and water restrictions are just around the bend.

Hmmm...favs would be Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India', Chinese perfume plant, white butterfly ginger, Brunfelsia gigantea (but it hasn't blooms in months in this heat and after I cut it back so hard) and Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' though sadly I probably won't be growing the last one next year since angel trumpets fry in our extreme heat and are total water hogs.

Of course I'm always experimenting with new fragrant plants and am currently obsessed with plumerias.

What about you? What are your favorite fragrant plants (besides citrus)? ;)

-Robert

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Robert, its blooms resemble Amaryllis.

Favorite plants is so difficult. When that question comes up on the other forum...'what's your, one favorite plant?' I can not respond..way too many.

Oh oh, looks like a storm is brewing.

Robert, get any rain yet?

Mike, did you ever get T-storms?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok my friends! You guys are a riot! I am laughing as I right this.

Robert, what do they smell like????/ Laughing like crazy!
    I know just how much you like it when someone asks you what your plant smells like.:-)
    I have been seriously thinking about getting a Belle of India one. Can you suggest a good source for me? They seem to me easy to care for, more mite proof than others, and it seems like the flowers last longer than a Moo. Now, if I am wrong, please share.lol

I can't even begin to count how many fragrant plants I have! At yet, even though I have so many, it seems that everytime I come here, someone is posting a plant I still not yet have.
    How did I end up with 6 Brunfelsia?lol

Toni! You make me laugh! Thunderstorms? Remember, my area is the 'Little Sahara Desert' while all the cities around me abound with storms.lol

Did that storm ever hit you? How tall was your new Chinese perfume tree? Mines looks way to small compared to what you guys described..

Robert you were right! The ball of roots is surrounded with a heavy soil clay type mix. It is any wonder how it even grew in that stuff. I did loose a lot of leaves. Many fell off being in that box. Did many fall off of yours too?

I will be planting that plant tonight once I get home in a 5.1.1 mix. What did you plant yours into?
    and how long before you waited once you opened the
    Box?

Mike:-)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning,

Mike, one can always hope you get T-storms...The country is dry, but the midwest is expecting violent storms..Our local weather says cloudy, no rain, but TWC said IL is supposed to get hit.

You got your new Aglaia? How does it look?

Mike, if I had to do it again, I'd choose half the plants I have now.

Yesterday, I fertilized plants that are being summered in the house..I was cleaning, too..
    I started at 9:AM and finished 8PM. I really must stop getting new plants..you too..lol.
    We are plant addicts. Need to go to plant-a-holic.
    My family is shipping me off to Plant Anonymous before winter. lol.

Of course, I've been saying I won't add new plants, uhem, how many years???? lol

Have a pic of your new Aglaia? Toni