Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
if i can grow a this, can i grow that?

Posted by xmikelx 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 20:45

HIIIII everyoneee

I have a question!!!
soo... if i can grow a jasminum sambac maid of orleans well, and it is flowering just fine with no problem, what else you think i can grow? my jasmine is in a east window that obviously receives good sun.

i ask because the jasmin was an experiment really...just to see if i could grow it. so now im wondering if other fragrant could grow fine in my window.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: if i can grow a this, can i grow that?

Get an aglaia odorata :)

o

The Murraya paniculata from Logee's is easy to grow, and a constant bloomer, even in winter.

You will also love the J sambac 'Belle of India' (double) and 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' (carnation or rose flowered). Both very fragrant, and easy to grow.

o

THANKSS

kemistry, i would looove to get aglaia. just waiting for it on accents.

mehitabel, murraya paniculata is a very pretty plant. in pictures of course, never seen it in person. The MOO i have now is my first fragrant plant.

o

anyone have experience with african gardenia?

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 11:23

I've grown a couple over the years, and have one now, slightly afflicted with scale -- I go back and forth about the scent, sometimes it's wonderful, sometimes it's a little too sharp up close -- I think it's a great little plant so long as you don't think of it as a real gardenia: the scent is not really at all the same, even though they're both in the same family (Rubiaceae). Don't be surprised if it grows in super-slow motion, either, but the slow growth means it won't outgrow its space!

o

thank you for replyin jimshy,
I have read somewhere that the scent of africAN gardenia is horrible i think it was on daves garden. so, i was not sure because of that comment...eventhough it is one comment.

i dont mind a slow grower. but ..
can i ask...since the plant is a slow grower, is it a slow flowerer.( if that makes any sense lol)

like will it take forever for a bud to open or show up for that matter? i never understood that about slow growing everbloomers. same question can be asked for aglaia orodata.

o

I just received an African gardenia from Logee's and cannot detect any scent whatsoever. It had one opened flower. It's quite a gorgeous plant though and worth a keep sole on its appearance. The flowers have the most lovely touch of pink and the leaves have an interesting ruffle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here