Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

Grand Duke Supreme with mutan-size leaves

Holy moly! My GDS is forming some relatively large leaves and I never seen anything like it before. Theyre probably like 3 inches across. Is this normal once it gets established?

I plucked the largest leaf I could find on Grand Duke of Tuscany and layed it on the new GDS leaves. And the bottom left is the regular GDS leaves.

Comments (47)

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

This is very interesting.. Maybe the blooms will be extra large too!!!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Gotta luv mutant GDS!

9 years ago

Luv when it produces jasmine 'brains'. ;)

• flowers_galore
    9 years ago

I see fasciation in Jasmines especially GD all the time.. Maybe in GDS too..

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you guys has the better scent of the two? Love them brains too!

9 years ago

I don't grow regular GDT but I've sniffed what I believe to be it.
    I think GDS has more of a fruity scent which reminds me of apricots but I also think there's probably more than one GDS out there but what do I know? :)
    My partner loves it though. It's grown quite huge.
    Probably 4 feet across by now?

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow can you post a pic of the full plant Robert? Would love to see.

Mine's finally bloomed. Thr scent does have more of that green/herbal element if I can call it that.

9 years ago

Here's a pic of the whole plant.
    I measured it and it's over 5 feet wide!

-Robert

• kemistry
    9 years ago

holy.. that's huge. : ))

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh...my...god Robert that such an amazing specimen. Im really inpressed with your plants as usual. :)) Do you do any pruning? Its good to see that it is full of leaves even at the bottom.

9 years ago

Thanks, guys!
    I call it the beast. Laugh.
    The only pruning I do is when a bird lands on one of the branches and snaps it and of course in the fall when I have to cut it back just to get it through the basement door. :)

-Robert

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Hi Musaboru and Robert - where did you get the GDS? I would like to add this to my collection of Sambacs.

~Kasie

9 years ago

Hi Kasie,

I got mine at an Asian market in OKC about 3 years ago.
    I was quite excited and emailed Kemistry who confirmed it was a GDS. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:30

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Thank you for letting me know Robert.

~Kasie

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kasie, I got mine's from Dhanstudio on ebay. He has it from time to time but not at the moment. Keep a watch for it.

I may have to check Chinatown LA tomorrow because I think this variety is way more attractive than the regular Grand Duke and would like to plant a hedge of them! LOL.

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Thank you for letting me know Musaboru. I have Grand Duke with the rounded leaves. Last year I picked up two more Grand Dukes at Green Mart and I was content with the purchase. But after seeing pictures posted here of GDS...now I really need this one also. Just can't seem to have enough of them :)

Please let us know what you find in China Town. Thanks again.

~Kasie

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kasie,

Was at Chinatown today and did not see any jasmines, but they do have Michelia alba and assorted plumerias (mostly no-name white varieties).

Also checked Mimosa LA on the way home, they had Mysore Mulli and Duke. But no GDS. I wonder if Little Saigon or the other nurseries in OC might have any.

Update: I see Dhanstudio has GD Supreme up for buy it now again.

This post was edited by musaboru on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 20:52

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Thank you musaboru . I will have to check that out.

~Kasie

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Hi Robert. You are one lucky guy to have such an amazing jasmine! I really want this variety but I don't know where to order it. I don't even think Logees carries GDS. They have GDT, but after seeing these pics, I want GDS!

I know you didn't mention your plumeria stenopetala here but...your not alone buddy. I bought mine this past spring, and I actually thought it was a goner. I literally put my finger right through the base of the tree. I thought it was rotted but somehow it didn't die and now that same spot has firmed right up on me.

When I went to visit Florida Colors, I got to see there awesome specimen in all it's glory. Seeing, and smelling those flowers was reason enough for me to buy one, but then Carol told me that Luc had been experimenting with growing it in those wire baskets that are lined with coconut husk. Some people don't think that they would make good hanging baskets but I am growing mine in a basket. I figured if this really works, then why not! I can hang it, and have space for another plumeria on the ground under neath it!

Thanks again for sharing your awesome pic of your GDS jasmine! I am going to have to hunt one down now!

Andrew

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert, that's the biggest one I ever saw in captivity held hostage by winter and in a pot!

I need your help)

How do you over winter it? Is it kept cool on the dry side? Does it loose its leaves? Do you water at all?
    Does it look like crap by the time winter is over?

Thanks

MIke

9 years ago

You guys are cracking me up!

Dhan has some for sale right now on ebay.
    Andrew,
    Hurry up and buy one! ;)

Mike,

It's shoved down into the basement with the other tropicals.
    I keep it on the dry side and water once or twice a month depending on how cold it is outside. Definitely don't want to over water in the winter for fear of rotting the roots.
    Jasmines don't want to sit in cold water over the winter. :)
    I have to cut it back way, way back to fit through the basement doors. It does keep most of its leaves though and doesn't look too bad come spring.
    I think in a greenhouse it would looks smashing! ;)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: GDS on ebay

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert thanks for that!

I think I should of asked if you keep it actively growing under lights? How do you keep the roots warm? And how cold does it get down there..I'm so afraid to stick mine under a flourescent light in a cool basement unless that's doable..?

MIke

9 years ago

Yes. It's under fluorescent lights in the basement.
    It never freezes down there but I'm not sure exactly how cold it got during the long brutal winter we had this year.
    Maybe 45?
    The pots are elevated off the floor on benches. I guess that helps to keep the roots warm.
    I would not stick it down in the basement until it grows fairly large though. :)

-Robert

• lazybonz
    9 years ago

Robert, that is one awesome plant!
    After heeding all of your advice , including getting a moisture meter, I'm confident enough to have picked up a couple of GDS from Dhanstudio on Ebay.
    (Anyone considering GDS, be advised that Dhanstudio seems to sell out of these very quickly.)
    The moisture meter is excellent, as I don't have to rely on my own, obviously faulty, judgement.
    My other jasmines are doing very well outdoors.
    I've been using Foliage Pro , 1/4 tsp per gallon at each watering and have them in Al " Tapla " 's 5:1:1 mix.

Thanks again for your help.

I'm so glad to have found this forum and for the kindness of you who've shared your wisdom.

9 years ago

Ah...you're welcome and thank you for the kind words!
    I'm so happy your jasmines are doing great!
    Sounds like your system is working quite well for you.
    I too use Foliage Pro and the 5:1:1 mix. :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

That's three..I use the Foilage Pro too and the 5.1.1 mix..

Robert, yes, I really appreciate the time you take to help us grow our plants and....buy them..ha

Great looking plant.

Mike

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert. I just ordered one from the Ebay link you posted. Glad I tried this seller because I was thinking of getting the Michelia Alba. I may also check with Laura as she just got hers the other day.

Andrew

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Andrew, I have remember you raved about Plantogram in the Tropical Fruit forum (I use to lurk there). They have Michelia alba for sale too. And its a 3 gallon size.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plantogram.com/product/michelia/

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated :)

Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    9 years ago

Today I got my GDS jasmine from Dhan. Very pleased with my purchase. Box was crushed slightly at the top but the jasmine itself was no damaged. Leaves and vine are in perfect shape!

Thank you again Robert!

Andrew

9 years ago

Hooray! Awesome news, Andrew, and you're welcome! :)

Oh, every day I check my Plumeria stenopetala for signs of an inflo but so far just leaves.
    Can't wait to finally sniff it though!

-Robert

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Hi Andrew - congratulations, I took the plunge also. Is it possible to post a picture of what you received? I should be getting mind some time next week. I bought a GDS and Jasmine Belle of India.

~Kasie

9 years ago

Ha! I was wanting a picture as well, Kasie. :)

-Robert

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's what to expect. This one is Arabian Nights that I got two weeks ago but GDS was about this size too when I received it.

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting the picture of your plant musaboru. Its nice to have an idea of what I will be receiving.

~Kasie

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Thank you Robert and Musaboru for suggesting ebay. I received my plants today and am very happy with them. How many Jasmine Sambac varieties can a person have...I wonder :)

~Kasie

• Andrew Scott
    8 years ago

About a month or so ago, I decided to order another GDS from Dhan. The description for what I ordered said that the plant would be 9in to 12in long. What I received was vine that was barely 4in tall. I sent an email and told the seller that I wasn't happy but I wanted to address it with them instead of leaving a negative comment.

I received a response the same day. They offered a full refund or a replacement. I chose a replacement. Again, they sent me a very small vine that was the same size as the original vine I received the first time! Needless to say I was very dissapointed. I contacted the seller and this time they automatically refunded me.

I understand that these things can happen but once, not twice! I don't know if I would order from them again. I'll be very lucky if I get flowers on these vines this year. More than likely it will be next year.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Andrew, I'm sorry to hear that.

Once the roots system of GDS starts establishing the plant can send up very fast growing shoots. My GDS was damaged so many times from the cats frolicking in the pots. They broke it down to just a few inches one time and I thought I lost it, but after a couple weeks it sends out new shoots that grow pretty fast.

Also is it just me or does GDS seem very brittle? Everytime I try to pick a flower, I end up breaking the whole stem!

I lost the stem that produced those gigantic leaves to the cats also. It must have been a sported branch because the plant hasn't produced any leaves that large since.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    7 years ago

Dhanstudio is no longer an eBay seller. :(

• kemistry
    7 years ago

He's still on ebay, but under a new name, here he is:
    muraya00 :)

• kemistry
    7 years ago

Congrats Carol. :) I got a pot of jasmine yesterday for $8.. now thinking of going back to get another pot for my work place. :)

• ezhilmalini
    7 years ago

kemistry did you get a jasmine plant in local stores in oregon

• kemistry
    7 years ago

Hi ezhilmalini, yes, I got it at Portland Nursery. :)

• ezhilmalini
    7 years ago

Thanks kemistry what varieties of jasmine does portland nursery carry.

• kemistry
    7 years ago

They have Maid of Orleans. They had Grand duke at one time, but I'm not sure if they still carry it.

• ezhilmalini
    7 years ago

Kemistry

Thanks.I will check this weekend.