Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can lily of the valley grow in a pot?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 20:50

I got it in a trade but I don't want to put it in the ground. Can it successfully grow in a pot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can lily of the valley grow in a pot?

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 9:24

I saw a picture of a lily of the valley grown bonsai-style in a pot -- the trick will be giving it the cold dormant period it needs without freezing it to death.

I'd say either put it in the biggest pot you can find and forget it for the winter, or if it's in a smaller pot, wrap it up in burlap or cloth after the leaves die down and put it somewhere cold but protected, like a garden shed or unheated garage, and then bring it out in early spring and see how it does!

Jim

o

Yes, you can grow it in a pot. Sensible not to let this thug loose in your garden.

o

I had some pips in pots that I'd forgotten about. They came up in the spring and bloomed beautifully. The pots had been left outside unprotected all winter and I'm sure the soil had frozen solid. We were in the single digits through most of Feb.
Karyn

o

Minnamouse,
Whatever you do, don't plant it in the ground.
Keep it in the pot or you will have a million of them the following year.
They breed like rabbits, I'm not kidding.
And if you accidently leave a bulb or two in the ground for a full year, your garden will be over taken with them.
But they smell nice.

o

Oh I know. I keep my Sweet Grass in a planter for exactly the same reason. I have some Star of Bethlehem that were mixed in something I planted and one ended up all the way aways from the bed. It's hard to find them because they disappear so soon when it gets hot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here