Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandakumar_gw

Gardenia flower buds falling

nandakumar
10 years ago

Couple of months back I got a new Gardenia plant trained as a tree. So for it would have had at least 50 flower buds but none of them became flower and they all got dropped just before flowering. It has been kept on entry porch and gets 6-7 hrs of morning sun.

This is first time I'm growing gardenia, so not sure of the issue. Please share your thoughts on this.

Below are the some of the pictures

Gardenia plant/tree

Fallen Flower buds

Health flower bud

Bud with stem turned yellow about to fall

Comments (6)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Nan,

Gardenias are pretty fussy. Much more difficult when it's your first.

There's a few reasons that comes to mind.

Did you repot? When a plant, 'any plant, is budding or flowering, it should not be repotted, until flowers fade.

Relocating plants are stressful. Most often, when a budding/flowering plant is moved from point A to point B, buds/flowers drop. Plants are used to one environment, (temp/humidity/light.) When moved, plant has a tendency to drop buds. Sometimes leaves, will fall, too.

Gardenias bloom best, at least flowers last longer, when temps are a little on the cool side. Also, when soil is allowed to dry, then given a hearty drink of water.

Did you repot? The containers looks large, 'photo.' If you repotted, what size was previous pot and new pot?

Flowering plants, at least in my opinion, are more likely to bloom when roots are a little tight-fitting.
    When repotted to a larger container, plant focuses on growing roots..Therefore, buds drop.

Don't give up and good luck,, Toni

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response Toni,

Yes, I did repot the Gardenia. It was in a 3G container when I got it from Costco and since it was trained as tree, I repoted to may be a 18-20G container after 6 weeks. There about 10-12 flower buds in plant when I bought and even those fell when the plant was in the original 3G pot and since it was not holding water in Texas summer, I transplanted to bigger pot. After translating, it got lot of new growth with tons of flower buds but buds falling continues till now.

Last 2 weeks weather was 90+ but this week we had some rain, so temp was less than 80.

Regarding fragrant plants, last year I started with few Jasmines and this year I expanded to few more Jasmines and 3 Gardenias, other two I have are August Beauties and they had few flowers this year.

If required I can repot this gardenia to 5G or 7G containers. Also please let me know whether it requires any specialized fertilizers?

I would be really happy if I could see some flowers this year.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hi Nan,

Nan, some people repot from small to extra-large containers. If it works, great.
    Imo, 'not that my opinion matters much, lol,' repotting 1-2 sizes larger than root ball is sufficient. Roots have adequate room to grow and over-watering is less likely.

I've read numerous plant books as far back as the late 70's, various authors, who state, 'repotting in a container way larger than roots, will slow-down/halt growth. Roots needs to fill pot, to a certain degree, before new foliage, or a certain amount of foliage grows.'

Some people can't resist using the water can. :)
    Depending on soil/medium, 'over-watering is the number 1 killer amongst plants,' over-watering in an extra-large pot will remain wet for prolonged periods. One reason problems arise. Soil in smaller pots dry faster.
    When I bought my Gardenia tree, 1994/5, it remained in the same mix the first 3-4 yrs, however, I added home-made mediums on top soil.

Gardenia was repotted a second time, summer 2011.

No, it's not a perfect tree..but I live in IL, where winters are grey, icy cold and very dry air.
    Yet, 'denia flowers yearly. Again, it's not perfect, but I'm happy, so far.

Wow, 3g to 18-20g is a huge increase. :) I wish you luck.

Mostly likely, your Gardenia buds dropped because of move. Change. Its new home may be cooler/warmer, less humid, lack of fresh air, and/or less/more sun.

It's been in the high 90's here, too..Last time I checked, about 8am this morning, it was 97F. They're claiming rain, and I sure hope they're right this time. The earth is bone dry.

Nan, I KNOW how easy it is to add more plants. :)
    One starts with 2-3, then before one know it, one has 100 or more. lol.

How are your Jasmines doing?
    I can't grow Jasmine, except for MOO/Maid of Orleans.

Nan, do you have photos to share?

I fertilize Gardenias with Azalea & Rhododendrum 3-month, granular fertilizer and Superthrive, 'not a fertilizer.'
    I also add vinegar mixed w/water, once or twice a year. During winter, leaves are misted daily.

I was surprised my 'denia bloomed at all considering several weeks in the 90's. However, so far, it's only produced a dozen or so flowers.

I would love to find a 4', standard/grafted variegated Gardenia. Similiar to yours, only variegated.

Nan, good luck. Toni

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Toni thanks for the detailed response.

I got bunch of 7G containers, probably I can transplant this Gardenia from this big container. Do you think it is a good idea to do it now?

Thanks to this forum, everyday I'm learning new things.

I found out that I got four varieties of Jasmines with the help of forum members.

Besides Maid of Orleans, I have these

Grand Duke Supreme (forum members bunti and greendou identified this as GDS)

Grand Duke Supreme flower

Mysore Mulli (Again bunti found this to be a mysore mulli)

This is identified as Grand Duke of Tuscany, will confirm it again when this flowers

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

I'm in love with 'Bell of India'! Do you have one of these yet? If you don't, you are mssing out..

Not to be an enabler of anything like that...

Hi Toni:-)

Mike