Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlem_2007

root bound gardenia

littlem_2007
16 years ago

help.. I bought a gardenia tree in June this year. lots of buds; some bloomed. it is outside with morning sun and shade in the aftenoon. now the flowers open halway then droop and turn brown. I have been watering it when the soil feels dry. i am watering it every second day. also the leaves have been yellowing. i have tried vinegar in the water, epsom salt, azalea fertilizer to no avail. i lifted the plant and root ball out of the pot to check the roots: there does not appear to be any rot but the roots are clearly visible - no soil between the roots and the sides of the pot. should I repot now? if so, should I "comb" out the roots and can I prune the roots? thanks for your help. there are still alot of buds.

sue

Comments (14)

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Littlem,

many, many gardenia plants are sold in garden shops in tiny pots -- they're almost grown as disposable flowering plants, like pointsettias and seasonal bulbs. It could be the tree just can't support the number of buds and is drying out too fast.

It sounds like a repotting is a good idea: it's usually best to go "one size up" in a pot; too large and you risk root rot. Combing or or pruning should only be done if the root ball is totally entangled, and should only be done lightly -- heavy chopping or butterflying does NOT stimulate the plant to make more roots, it just cuts off what's there. If the plant is happy it'll make more roots without root pruning.

If you need to keep it in the same size pot and want to prune the roots back a bit, prune the foliage back by the same amount -- gardenias bloom on new growth, so you'll want to do this anyway as old flowers fade.

Finally, don't overfertilize! Gardenias are sensitive to . . . well, everything, but too much fertilizers and amendments can burn the roots and cause leaf die-back.

Never fertilize a repotted plant for the first few weeks, and organic fertilizers are generally softer than artificial ones.

Hope this helps!

Jim

• littlem_2007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hello, Jim, yes, it does: thanks for explaining. I will try what you suggest.

sue

• empressiove_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

I have never had good luck with gardenia but i picked up another one from HD recently! i just love them =). This one came with lots of buds, healthy leaves..few flowers opened!!! (miracle). However, some leaves are turning black and some are yellow. Plant looks pretty healthy except for the black spots. The pot is so small..i feel like it's root bounded. However, can I transfer the plant to new pot with existing condition? Pot is so small i feel it dries up too quicky. I can't even poke my finger into the pot (i don't feel the soil - just roots). I hope all this makes sense! Please share some of your experiences and knowledge regarding my gardenia. thanks!! =)

• silverneedle
    14 years ago

Unless the plant is clearly showing signs of distress, or requires unreasonable watering frequency, it is preferable to keep gardenias a bit root-bound, since you will get more flowers this way.

• empressiove
    14 years ago

It's definately showing alot more yellow spots and like i said, it's hard to put my finger through the soil part - there's no soil..it's all roots. :( should i replant? it flowers ok...the blooms seems to be opening. not sure what the right to do is ..keep it the way it is or transplant?..i almost have to water it everyday..

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Water everyday, and enjoy the blossoms..

If you do it now, you risk to loose all the blooms..

If the plant is only drying out and performs well when you water, then I would wait.

You might want to consider if your willing to invest the time needed to keep up the watering, or sacrifice the flowers for a far better situation both for you and the plant..If you don't keep on top of it 's water needs, the leaves will continually rebel for you, which is what it has signs of from past watering practices..It has probably dried out one to many times in that pot under someone elses care..

Good luck...A repot soon after the flowers sounds like a must if you don't want to have to worry about watering everyday, especially in summer, not to say that the roots will probably evenetually affect the vitality of your plant...

Mike..:-)

• empressiove
    14 years ago

thanks mike!! i really appreciate it. ya..watering everyday is bit of work but blooms are well worth it! I will repot when most of the buds have bloomed. I should consider myself luck huh? i see alot of forum where people say buds are dropping right before the bloom. I will follow your advice. thanks again =)

• empressiove
    14 years ago

so, i decided to transplant it. it's selfish of me to keep the plant suffering for my own need to see the blooms. I needed to take actions! it's looking healthy already and some blooms are ready to open again! =) so far so good~

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Don't give up hope on the blossoms..

I myself have done a transplant and kept mine going in the past..It all depends on how disturbed the roots were.

Sometimes, a plant can be so dumb, that it never realizes it is sitting in a different pot. But when it comes to gardenias that seem to have a mind of their own, you can lift it out one pot to another without ever disturbing ONE root,and they JUST KNOW..Heck, they can read your thoughts even..lol

But, sometimes you can get a way with it on a real dumb dumb one..Pray you bought one..

• empressiove
    14 years ago

lol - i don't think i like smart plants :(~ ok! here is what's happening with my gardenia. my original message was that the leaves were turning yellow so i took your advice and transplanted. I have FIVE open flowers right now!! wow..i'd consider that successful transplant. Had it not been for your advice, mike - i would have left the plant in original pot too afraid to transplant. you made me think and that was to even if i had to sacrafice the flowers, i wanted to save my gardenia. I stil have yellow leaves...and some more are turning yellow. Hmmm but i have plenty of blooms, new growth too. Tricky! Btw, i used half potting soil, half peat moss and some bark chips from garden. what do i need to do to resolve the yellow leaves issue (some black spots on the yellow leaves too)? just leave it?...

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Aw, your welcome..:-)

As for the yellow leaves....?lol

It could be a number of factors..BUT THE ONE YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FORMOST, IS YELLOWING FROM ROOT ROT AND OVERWATERING..I can not express this enough..

They can yellow from a nutrient problem, too cold, too hot, enviromental changes, a transplant, bugs, etc, and all can be corrected..But root rot, not so.

Did you see if the roots were white and or healthy?

If so and they were ok, I would not worry about it, UNLESS, you transplanted into a mix that holds moisture way too long, turns to muck, compacts within a short time, does not drain well, holds bugs,is not porous, suffocates the roots, hold too many salts from fertilizer over time, or collaspes easily..If you have potted your gardenia in a soilless mix better than all these, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride..

All you have to do is get to know what kind of cultural practices and conditions your plant likes from you..That will come as you get to know him, or her..

• empressiove
    13 years ago

lol! mike..this plant wow so many variation as to why leaves are turning yellow. gosh..true mystery! Sounds like you have been growing gardenias for awhile now. =) you know so much about them. Spring weather is bit crazy here in VA. We had 37 degee weather other night...then next day it got up to 90 degrees...-_-!! i left it outside for the weekend (90 and humid) since they love humidity..i thought it was a good idea. It seems to be maintaining - not worse or better. In anycase, i picked up another one from HD (as a backup) LOL..so pretty. This one is sooo big and huge flowers - very healthy leaves. I left it outside in semi shady spot all day sat..some shiny green healthy leaves turned yellow. I think it was bit shocked from 60-70 degree temp to 90. still looking good tho!!! will keep you posted. =) Oh as for roots..it looked good - it was really compact and i didn't want to loosen it too much. I didn't actaully take a good look either..losening the roots to look for rotted spots was impossible to do since it was root bounded and all the roots in circular motion at the bottom of previous pot. hmm i guess i can check if it progresses. Thanks - awesome mike! =)

• April Wilson
    6 years ago

I bought a gardenia this year. However, it was pretty crispy and highly overly root bound. I transplanted and water daily but I'm seriously wondering if I can get it to come back. It was so bad the blooms were even brown and hard. Dear lord. Please help!

• HU-969798993
    3 years ago

Mine has hardly any roots