Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay, I mean do you have a no scent corkscrew shell vine?

Posted by mersiepoo 6a pa (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 22:14

Mine had a flower on it but not a scent. I tried smelling it during the heat of the day, at night, nothing! When are they supposed to smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay, I mean do you have a no scent corkscrew shell vine?

• Posted by nixonk 5 (Chicago) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 14:12

I have a Vigna Caracalla that does not have any frangrance as well. I don't know what gives. It's blooming well enough, just no scent. Oh well. Mother nature is a fun loving gal.

o

Yeah, me too! I feel so ripped off... is this the first year for yours? Mine isn't too big. Lucky for me my gardenia bloomed! :) Yeah!!!
How old is yours? Maybe it needs to be older before they smell....hoping against hope, of course!

o

Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 15:03

I started mine this spring from cuttings, so I am assuming that it is taken from a more mature plant. Don't really know. I will over winter it indoors and see what happen next year. I saw one growing on a fence here in Chicago last year and fell in love with it but I really don't remember if there was any scent. I detect a very gentle sweet scent when I sit on the deck with my coffee in the morning but cannot tell where it is coming from. Not of my scented plants are blooming this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for next year!

o
I think we got the wrong plant!

Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 15:28

So, it seems like maybe I was sent the wrong plant. This is the one I got:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Some said that this one has no scent. There is another Vigna Caracalla that is suppose to have scent and that's this one:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Which one did you get?

o

Hi NixonK, I got bamboozled as well, I got the first picture you have, instead of the second one that you posted. I got the wrong one too! I forget where I ordered it from, maybe Burgess?

I noticed that there is a VERY faint smell coming from one of the flowers (that also has aphids on it by the droves, as well as ants), but yeah we both got the wrong ones. :( What a bummer!

o

The purple one is a scentless snail vine (Phaseolus caracalla). The fragrant corkscrew vine (Vigna caracalla) is the one in the second photo. They both have pretty blooms.
Karyn

o

Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 17:22

I am prety sure that when I ordered it from DirectGardening that they had the picture of the second one on it and it was definitely named Vigna Caracalla. I am going to try and get the correct one next year. What a scam!

o

Yeah, I'm miffed as well, I want SMELLY plants, dang it! I guess I might try to get one from logees next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here