Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting broken gardenia stem???

Posted by utsharpie 76710 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 05 at 22:25

i have an augusta gardenia bush. it doesnt have any buds yet. my cat was playing with it and broke off a stem. is there anyway i can root this? kinda like how tomato plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting broken gardenia stem???

Very easy! You can break up the stem into two or three if you want.

Get some perlite and a clean one gal pot. If the drain holes are too large you may partial block it with rock. You may not need rooting hormone. Wet the perlitein the pot and insert the branches. Cover the pot with a poly bag and secure the rim with a cloth pin in order to keep the inside at 100% humidity. Place it at a warm place but no direct sunlight nor too hot. After two months, Check any callus or root formation. Hope there is new root before cool weather.

o
RE: rooting broken gardenia stem???

i find that they are about as easy as any other plant to propagate by cuttings. i simply stick them into a container of moist potting medium and place them in bright shade (no sun), making sure that they do not dry out.
remove any leaves below soil-level and try to get at least one leaf node covered by the soil.
you could do as longriver recommends and try one piece using each of these methods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here