Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
musaboru

*New* Michelia hybrid: Fairy Magnolia - Blush

Dar Sunset Zone 18
13 years ago

Just came across this on Monrovia. One can special order a plant from Monrovia through a local nursery (no big box stores though). I'm going to give it a try...looks beautiful!

[Bred by renowned New Zealand breeder Mark Jury, this upright, bushy shrub is noted for its masses of blushed lilac-pink flowers blooming late winter to mid-spring. Its compact size, reaching 10 to 13 ft. tall and 8 to 10 ft. wide, makes it an excellent specimen plant. Plant near a doorway or windows to enjoy its fragrant blooms.]

{{gwi:803622}}{{gwi:803624}}
Picture credit: Monrovia.com

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2312/fairy-magnolia-blush.php

Comments (8)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    13 years ago

This hybrid looks beautiful! I wonder what the fragrance is like.

Thank you for posting this! :-)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found more information about this here:
    http://youreasygarden.com/2010/04/01/michelia-hybrids-exciting-new-plant-southern-or-warm-climate-gardens
    It was hybridized in New Zealand by Mark Jury.
    The lady who blogged that, Lisa H., describe the scent as slightly fragrant. Not sure if I still want to get it if that is the case. It is still pretty beautiful for a Michelia. I am afraid one day that if these new Michelia hybrids will just be about looks and no attention to fragrance, that would be a shame.

Anyways, here is another picture of the plant, and you guys have to see it...that pink color is just so lovely.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tesselaar/4169601803/

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Yes, a very beautiful flower, musa. Please let us know if you decide to go for it.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sent an email to Tesselaar's last night inquiring about the blooming season and also the scent. Here's the reply I got this morning from Dan Davids:

Thanks for your email
    I went to our lead propagator and here is her reply (she's in Florida)

Hi Dan,
    Comments on the fragrance. My opinion is it is not overwhelming as the
    figo.. it is like bananas but much lighter and a hint of citrus smell.
    Even thought the flowers are bigger the smell is not, which in my opinion is
    better! The second question it does have the sporadically blooming through
    the year with a splash of blooms but it's splendor is in early spring.
    Right now mine are blooming after I pruned them. Heavy matter of fact. But
    the color is more white than blush at this time of year. They really
    require that cold period to enhance the blush color in the sepals.
    Kay

You can't buy from Tesselaar's though, still have to go through your local nursery and special order it through one of Tesselaar's wholesale distributors such as Monrovia. It seems its going to be pricey though. I'm going to try and get one anyways. I read somewhere that it's a cross between dianica, figo and doltsopa, something like that, so it's got three different species in one plant. :)

• sambacmouse
    13 years ago

This is a beautiful plant, I saw one at the nursery the other day and had quick look at it. It reminds me of 'Mixed Up Miss'. Where it differs is the bloom is more evenly blushed pink and the blooms open up nicely rather than staying closed like a figo.
    The tag on the plant said it has a light perfume, but I would say it is more than lightly fragrant, but it was hard to characterize its perfume since it was next to a pot of daffodils.
    The plants are full of buds and it is early spring here (Melbourne).
    I would have bought one ($55 for a 3ft plant in 8in pot), but I had already bought too many plants that day. Maybe I will go back and get one latter.
    I hope you enjoy yours.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sambacmouse, I appreciate your input.

You're so lucky to have such plants readily available. We can't even find 'Mixed Up Miss' in the average nursery here, some specialty nursery in Northern California or the Pacific Northwest may have it but otherwise I can't even find it. I guess it helps to have a famous Michelia and Magnolia hybridizer that lives in your region. :)

I actually have been having trouble trying to special order 'Blush' because it's a new inbtroduction. One nursery said that it couldn't be found in Monrovia's special order catalog they had on hand so they're going to investigate more into it. So it might not be until next year before I see this plant.

• sambacmouse
    13 years ago

I find the 'Mixed Up Miss' fragrance to be lovely, it is like the figo, but is softened with a creamy slightly spicy perfume from the doltsopa. Be aware though that it doesn't have a strong enough fragrance to waft like figo. It is a stronger perfume than that of the 'Fairy', however the 'Fairy' has the showier flowers.
    Happy hunting

• sunpetal
    10 years ago

This plant looks beautiful, is it worth the price? How strong is the scent? Is it only at night?