Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Champaca Seeds...are these the real thing!!! PICS!

Posted by frank69m (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 23:13

My champaca tree has been flowering like crazy lately. I've noticed these on the tree:

Could they be seeds? If so, how is the best way to plant and preserve them? Do they look ready for the picking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Champaca Seeds...are these the real thing!!! PICS!

I think it has to get bigger than that and the pod eventually pops open and exposes the seeds.

o

so I should wait? when should I plant them? and when can I tell it will be ready for me to cut? Are there a number of seeds in there?

o

I was going to post photos of my mom's Michelia alba tree and ask the same thing... having seen your photos, I'd have to say that my mom's alba tree as well as yours do have seed pods on it. There are lots of pods on her tree in varying stages of growth. The pods will eventually ripen (turn red, at least on her tree) with the pods popping open and exposing the seeds. I found three seeds -- two still attached to the pod and one on the ground -- which I plan to pot up today. From what I've read online, the alba produce mostly sterile seeds, but I'll plant them anyway to see if it will still grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here