Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropical_philippines

Chlorotic Michelia Albas (with images)

Hi,

I currently have five michelia albas. They are all fertilized with a coconut husk-based organic fertilizer and are watered whenever dry. They seem to be happy with this treatment but it seems three out of five are currently showing signs of chlorosis. They are essentially in the same soil type in my front yard which is somewhat loamy with little amounts of clay.

My michelia alba #1 (the oldest), used to be chlorotic more than a year ago when it was much smaller. However, this year, its chlorosis disappeared without any special treatment other than the regular watering and fertilizing with the fertilizer mentioned.

My michelia alba #2 is planted near my mango tree. It is chlorotic but my mango tree (over 5 years old) near it is quite healthy and not chlorotic at all.

Here's another photo of my michelia albas 1 & 2 showing their relative location to each other:

My michelia albas #3 and #4 are both chlorotic with #3 as the most chlorotic of the five:

Michelia alba #4:

My michelia alba #5 is very healthy and never experienced any chlorosis.

My question is, do I need to treat the chlorosis or shall I just let them grow bigger so they overcome the chlorosis like what happened to my michelia alba #1?

I'm wary of treatments/soil ammendements because these plants are what is like 'gardenias' to most of you. I lost one even though it was already big (5 ft tall) due to soil ammendments (adding chemical fertilizer and iron compounds) which I did to treat its chlorosis. (I also probably overwatered it... They seem to be VERY sensitive to overwatering; a lot more sensitive than my gardenias.)

So back to the question... Should I leave them as is, or should I try ammending the soil again (and risk losing them). What 'safe' soil ammendments would you recommend for such plants?

Thanks in advance.

-----

By the way, I'm planning on adding more michelia albas. I'm hopelessly in love with their extremely sweet, captivating, intoxicating, addictive, heavenly, 'to die for' scent. I just can't get enough of them! I suspect they have some 'addictive' component in their fragrance, or it is just probably my nose. :)

They are really quite a bargain here: only 1,500 pesos for a 5-ft tall grafted plant in bloom (about USD$31 based on the current peso-dollar exchange rate.)

tropical

Comments (10)

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jim. I'll try your suggestion.

Right now, all five of my michelia albas are in bloom in my front yard. The scent is really heavenly. They intoxicate me from sunrise to sunset to early evening to late night up to the wee hours of the morning (if I happen to be awake). They tend to bloom all year round with the peak flowering around this time of the year in our two season climate (currently rainy season).

• sparky26803
    15 years ago

I don't have the alba but do have the skinner variety. The flowers on the alba are nicer.
    Based off some of the pictures, it appears that only the newest leaves are effected. It isn't too bad. They all appear to have some good recent growth.

If this was mine, I would treat it as nitrogen deficiency. I would use something organic and in 3 weeks you begin to see an improvement.

jk

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Hi Tropical P, I used to live in the Philippines many years ago, my Dad was in the service...Out of topic, since I don't know anything about the plant you posted. Very pretty plants though. Mind if you post a pic of your 5 year old Mango tree? I would LOVE to see it...I live in FL and just planted some Mango and Lychee trees a little over a year ago...Has your tree fruited yet? Thanks...

pug

• mare2
    15 years ago

Could you do a soil test to figure out first what's going on? Just a thought. Looks to me like the chlorotic ones might be near concrete, which can leach lime into the soil.

But what do I know. Mostly I wanted to thank you for the eye fest. I can only imagine how wonderful the smell fest must be! Good luck!

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mare2,

You are probably right. Lime from the concrete may have leached into the topsoil.
    It could explain why my michelia alba #1 has 'outgrown' its cholorosis
    and why my other older trees (5+ years old) aren't chlorotic.

Anyway, here's a photo of my older trees and my michelia albas in my front yard:

{{gwi:188340}}

puglvr1,

Here's a photo of my 5+ year old mango tree:
    (It was planted from seed by my dad about the same time as my water apple and jackfruit tree.)

{{gwi:803728}}

tropical

• tropical_philippines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

puglvr1,

Sorry, forgot to answer your question. My mango tree hasn't flowered or fruited yet. Mangoes usually take 7-12 years to fruit here when planted from seed unless you spray them with 'flower inducing' chemicals.

My 5+ year old mango tree is actually big enough for 'flower inducement' but I decided to leave it alone and let it flower by itself 'the natural way'. I'm not so much in a hurry as I have lots of other fruit trees already bearing numerous fruits like my jackfruit, water apple, sugar apple, papayas, bananas, breadfruit, etc. It's more than enough for my family so I give some to my neighbors and relatives. :)

Anyway, if you're interested about mangoes, here's a link which may be useful:
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/mango_ars.html

tropical

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Tropical,

Thanks for posting those beautiful photos of your Mango tree, yes I've heard that when planted from seed it does take a while for them to fruit. That is definitely the reason I planted "Grafted" trees. Your tree is huge for being 5 years old. Its all that tropical weather 24/7...I have to cover mine with frost blanket a couple of times a year when we get frost here...something you don't have to worry about there. I also love your Jackfruit tree, I love the fresh ones, haven't had those in a long while, only canned.

Thanks for the mango link, have that one on my "favorites", LOL...

Thanks again "Kamusta"...Gusto Ko ang manga!Salamat...

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I do not know anything about Michelias at all but I do know that chlorosis is usually lack of iron.

High soil ph can cause plants to not be able to take up available iron.

• Tom Petroski
    7 years ago

Tropical, its been many years since you posted this. Do you have any updated photos? How did your trees fair?