Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polianthes tuberosa bloom size

Posted by cwcervantes 9A / New Orleans (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 23:30

Hello everyone!

How large does a tuberose need to get before it blooms? The photo (with beer bottle for size reference) shows my tuberose plant that I received last summer as a single bulb. I repotted early this spring once the weather warmed up and there were many more bulbs but all rather small. The leaves have been up for a few months now. Is this container large enough? It's in full sun. I haven't fertilized yet.

Thanks!

2014-07-06 21.42.55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polianthes tuberosa bloom size

That size pot is doable. Another member here posted one in a smaller pot than that and I was amazed. So last fall I placed an extra bulb clump in a 1.5 gallon (approx.) clay pot and its throwing up an inflo now. I would say yours probably has a month or two before it starts flowering.

With that said, the inflos on this one has less flower buds than the clumps in the larger pots. So it could do better in a bigger pot and give you more buds.

o

Heres another pic of a tuberose I got from HD in 2012. I had thought back then it was impossible and these must have been transplanted from the ground at the nursery. This one is the Pearl for sure.

The one I have in a clay pot is either Single Mexican type or the Pearl. I have them mixed up.

Also wanted to mentioned, if you started from a single bublet then it is very unlikely to bloom. Your's looks like it is a clump of growths, so thats good.

This post was edited by musaboru on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 0:49

o

So glad I saw this post! From what I am reading, it sounds like I am going to need to repot mine. I planted two bulbs in one half gal pot. My foliage is maybe 7 in tall. I will plant both bulbs into a 5 gal pot. Thanks for the info...and the pictures!

I also have 'The Pearl'! I am so excited, as this is my first year growing these!! BTW...what variety of plumeria are in your pic? I thought maybe DSP?

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here