Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rajiram_gw

Identifying Artabotrys Hexapetalus

Raji Ram
11 years ago

Hi all,

I bought this Artabotrys Hexapetalus vine from Gardino Nursery.After looking at Topttropicals nursery ,I am doubting whether it is really Artabotrys Hexapetalus. . I am attaching the photo of my plant.Flowers from their site is different from gardino nursery

Could someone verify what Ylang Ylang I bought please

Thank Raji

Comments (20)

• bunti
    11 years ago

Raji,

This is artabotrys. I have got one from gardino, 3 years ago. still it didn't bloom. Waiting for it to bloom.

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bunti,
    Does your plant's leaves looks like one in the photo above.I am attaching this photo from Topttropicals. This is how they look . I have seen them in India.
    Thank you
    Raji

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Hi Raji, yes just like what Bunti said, yours is an Artabotrys.

A. Hexapetalus and A. Siamensis look similar to my eyes. I believe the best way to tell the difference is by comparing the fragrance. Gardino is a reputable nursery so I'm 99% sure yours is an Hexapetalus. :)

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Kemistry.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hi kemistry, you know what's the difference in their fragrance then?? Please share!

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Kemistry,
    Is your Hexapetulus blooming?
    Raji

• sunpetal
    10 years ago

What is the difference between the Artabotrys Hexapetalus and the ARTABOTRYS SIAMENSIS, I'm confused now I don't know which one I have? What is the difference in scent of flowers etc?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

fenius and sunpetal,

I don't grow any artabotrys but TT has an article you might find helpful.
    GW will not let me post a link to the aricle but if you look up Artabotrys Hexapetalus on their site it will offer a link to the aricle that gives info on the different related species.

-Robert

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    10 years ago

The name of the article is 'Fragrant Plants of Annonaceae Family'.
    If you do a Google search it's first thing that pops up so it should be easy to find. :)

-Robert

• bunti
    10 years ago

This is the responses I have got from thailand grower.

both plant have a similary of flower and leave but you can separate each species by;

Artabotrys hexapetalus (kadunka jeen) leaf thick, young bud without hair
    Artabotrys siamensis (Karaweg) leaf thin, densly hair cover along young bud,

I have attached file photo differect point to show you

Artabotrys hexapetulus

Artabotrys Siamensis

• sunpetal
    10 years ago

I wonder if the scents are different? Does anyone know which one I have by looking at my picture, I would think my leaves are thinner, not thick like my Michelia Alba.

• sunpetal
    10 years ago

I wonder if the scents are different? Does anyone know which one I have by looking at my picture, I would think my leaves are thinner, not thick like my Michelia Alba.

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

I think I read somewhere (probably TT) that A. hexapetalus smells like sweet melon while A. siamensis smells like lemon candy.

Stephanie

• Raji Ram
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes. A.hexapetalus smells like sweet melon

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

I read in Thai encyclopedia that A. siamensis releases scent in the evening.

In Cambodian dictionary, it mentions an Artabotrys species has releasing a scent in the evening and having a scent similar to a type of aromatic banana (not the same type we find in super markets in the West). I can only assume this must be A. siamensis.

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Here are my 2 different plants and flowers..

A. Siamensis, i think.

Artabotrys Hexapetalus... I think...
    I feel this has sweeter smell. A. Siamensis and A Hexa are very similar but Siamensis has slight alcoholic sour note to it in the end i think.. I always thought the 2 plants I have, bought as seedlings from two different sources (both bought as A.Hexapetalus ) are slightly different in their flower form and smell...

Mature yellow flower and seed pod...

Trying to vine ,above the window...

once the flower is yellow the fragrance is done..

• No-Clue
    10 years ago

Great now I don't know which one I have! All I know is mine smell like sweet melon.

• ladylotus
    10 years ago

Do these plants have a strong scent that could fill a room? The flowers are not overly striking based on the photos. I am looking for a large unusual vine that will perfume my greenhouse. It has to tolerate night time temperatures from 42 - 45 deg F. I was hoping this plant would foot the bill.

• flowers_galore
    10 years ago

Hi,
    the fragrance is fruity and is one of my favorite fragrances. Next to Jasmine it is my all time favorite. It is tropical plant. Can't tell you about its cold tolerance.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz