Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying Artabotrys Hexapetalus

Posted by rajiram CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 23:43

Hi all,

I bought this Artabotrys Hexapetalus vine from Gardino Nursery.After looking at Topttropicals nursery ,I am doubting whether it is really Artabotrys Hexapetalus. . I am attaching the photo of my plant.Flowers from their site is different from gardino nursery
Could someone verify what Ylang Ylang I bought please

Thank Raji

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying Artabotrys Hexapetalus

Raji,

This is artabotrys. I have got one from gardino, 3 years ago. still it didn't bloom. Waiting for it to bloom.

o

Hi Bunti,
Does your plant's leaves looks like one in the photo above.I am attaching this photo from Topttropicals. This is how they look . I have seen them in India.
Thank you
Raji

o

Hi Raji, yes just like what Bunti said, yours is an Artabotrys.

A. Hexapetalus and A. Siamensis look similar to my eyes. I believe the best way to tell the difference is by comparing the fragrance. Gardino is a reputable nursery so I'm 99% sure yours is an Hexapetalus. :)

o

Thank you Kemistry.

o

Hi kemistry, you know what's the difference in their fragrance then?? Please share!

o

Hi Kemistry,
Is your Hexapetulus blooming?
Raji

o
RE: Identifying Artabotrys Hexapetalus or siamensis?

What is the difference between the Artabotrys Hexapetalus and the ARTABOTRYS SIAMENSIS, I'm confused now I don't know which one I have? What is the difference in scent of flowers etc?

o

fenius and sunpetal,

I don't grow any artabotrys but TT has an article you might find helpful.
GW will not let me post a link to the aricle but if you look up Artabotrys Hexapetalus on their site it will offer a link to the aricle that gives info on the different related species.

-Robert

o

The name of the article is 'Fragrant Plants of Annonaceae Family'.
If you do a Google search it's first thing that pops up so it should be easy to find. :)

-Robert

o

This is the responses I have got from thailand grower.

both plant have a similary of flower and leave but you can separate each species by;

Artabotrys hexapetalus (kadunka jeen) leaf thick, young bud without hair
Artabotrys siamensis (Karaweg) leaf thin, densly hair cover along young bud,

I have attached file photo differect point to show you

Artabotrys hexapetulus
 photo artabotrysHexapetulus_zps088d1e19.png

Artabotrys Siamensis
 photo artabotrysSiamensis_zps5f0122d9.png

o

I wonder if the scents are different? Does anyone know which one I have by looking at my picture, I would think my leaves are thinner, not thick like my Michelia Alba.

o
Identifying Artabotry Hex vrs Siam

I wonder if the scents are different? Does anyone know which one I have by looking at my picture, I would think my leaves are thinner, not thick like my Michelia Alba.

o

I think I read somewhere (probably TT) that A. hexapetalus smells like sweet melon while A. siamensis smells like lemon candy.

Stephanie

o

yes. A.hexapetalus smells like sweet melon

o

I read in Thai encyclopedia that A. siamensis releases scent in the evening.

In Cambodian dictionary, it mentions an Artabotrys species has releasing a scent in the evening and having a scent similar to a type of aromatic banana (not the same type we find in super markets in the West). I can only assume this must be A. siamensis.

o

Here are my 2 different plants and flowers..

A. Siamensis, i think.

photo IMG_6785.jpg

photo IMG_6786.jpg

photo IMG_6788.jpg

photo IMG_6792.jpg

photo IMG_6793.jpg

Artabotrys Hexapetalus... I think...
I feel this has sweeter smell. A. Siamensis and A Hexa are very similar but Siamensis has slight alcoholic sour note to it in the end i think.. I always thought the 2 plants I have, bought as seedlings from two different sources (both bought as A.Hexapetalus ) are slightly different in their flower form and smell...

photo IMG_6794.jpg

Mature yellow flower and seed pod...

photo IMG_6796.jpg

Trying to vine ,above the window...

photo IMG_6797.jpg

photo IMG_6798.jpg

photo IMG_6799.jpg

photo IMG_6800.jpg

once the flower is yellow the fragrance is done..

o

• Posted by No-Clue So Cal Zone 10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 21:19

Great now I don't know which one I have! All I know is mine smell like sweet melon.

o

Do these plants have a strong scent that could fill a room? The flowers are not overly striking based on the photos. I am looking for a large unusual vine that will perfume my greenhouse. It has to tolerate night time temperatures from 42 - 45 deg F. I was hoping this plant would foot the bill.

o

Hi,
the fragrance is fruity and is one of my favorite fragrances. Next to Jasmine it is my all time favorite. It is tropical plant. Can't tell you about its cold tolerance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here