Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

Finally Bought A Michelia Champaca Alba!!!

Hello Everyone!!

I finally broke down and bought this Michelia Champaca Alba ( Himalayan Champaca Grafted) from EBay!!!

My friend who lives up north sent me a link to this eBay site and she knew I was interested.. With my arm twisted behind my back, LOL.. ( not really) I bid on this beauty.. I was the only bidder and I won!! I received it last week and its doing well. It had some leaf issues, but considering it came from California, it was perfect!!

Please advise me as to how you would care for it and I plan to use Foliage Pro. I did plant it up in a 5-1-1 mix.. Should I have gone to a more Gritty?

It looks great and we have had a lot of rain, so I placed it under the shade to acclimate and have now brought it into more sun.

When should I bring it in for the winter? Set it under T-5 lights this winter?

Thanks for any information..

I have been wanting one for a long time and my friend loves to enable me!! She is a sweetheart!! Thank you, H.. I am really glad you sent the link..

So funny, but I am very happy with my new addition!!! ;-)

Mahalo!!!

Laura

Comments (9)

• chubite
    9 years ago

Hi Laura,

It's such a good size of plant, isn't it?
    I will wait until musaboru to chime in since he's the michelia alba expert...lol...
    Anyway congrats on your alba and hope it will bloom for you soon before summer is over

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Hooray! Congrats, Laura!
    Hope you love the scent. I had one and used the 511 mix and it thrived.
    Under the FAQ section you'll find good tips for growing them but I know others will chime in. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: M. alba

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Oh my, if you only knew what you were in store for!!!

Or should I say, if only your plant knew what it was in strore for)))0)

I can't wait until you smell it's first flower and personally, I can't believe I am saying this to you, but it blows any scent of a plumeria right out the door..lol
    You don't have to stand so close to it to get the beautiful scent that permeates the air my friend...O, I can't wait..

Knowing you, it will grow very fast, strong, and absolutely amazing! I see you already used the 5.1.1 mix and I see it smiling sitting there by that lovely poolside..Heck, I would smile too by your pool with your care...

The only thing missing is a chair with me sitting by it!

I am so glad we enabled you..It's pretty fun here on this forum..hahahha

Much love my friend..Please, please keep us constantly updated?

Mahalo!!

MIke

• kasiec
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your M.Alba purchase Laura. I agree with Mike, the scent is so wonderful, morning, noon and night :)

~Kasie

• fragrant2008
    9 years ago

Congrats Laura and welcome to the club :) M.Alba is more tender than M . champaca over here in the UK i tend to bring my M.Alba in around the end of september or mid October depending on the weather i find its ok down to around 4-5c 37-40f any thing below that it starts to look unhappy

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    9 years ago

Glad to see you finally got one Laura!

Chubite is such a sweeheart isnt she? XD I can't really say for sure what way to grow an alba in your conditions and in the 5-1-1 mix, but you amaze me with your growing of the most beautiful plumerias Laura. In VA of all places! I don't think you will have any major problems with an alba. Your potting mix and choice of fert. seems solid.

Flush the mix at least once a month to remove mineral build (not sure if the 5-1-1 mix is immune to mineral build up).

Bring inside under lights when night temps are around 35-40F. They can handle a few degrees colder than that, but I think this range is when they kinda just linger until it gets warmer.

Hope you enjoy the fragrance. I cannot live without this one.

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Chubite!!

Thank you for the information!! ;-). I hope it will brace me with blooms this summer.. I thought I saw some, but it was new leaves.. This is a beauty and I think I got a great deal on this one, thanks to you!! Xo

Hi Robert!! Thank you!! I, so happy to finally but this tree. I. Excited to get this started and to smell the beautiful fragrance.. I have heard so may wonderful things, I just had too!! Hubby didn't even see it delivered! YES!!

Hi Mike!! I a, very excited to smell this one thank to you guys... I will no doubt love this one.. I did pot up in 5-1-1 mix and use FP, so it should like it.
    Lol.. I hope it likes the pool area, as much as you do!! You can always have a place in your " chair" by my pool!! ;-). You bet I will keep you updated!! I just hope it will do well for me..

Hi Kasie!! Thank you so much.. I have been looking and reading som ugh about this beauty.. I am ready!! Thanks to my friend.. ;-)

Fragrant.. Finally eh? Lol... I have been wanting this one and just needed that push.. How could I turn down this offer on eBay? I can't believe I was the only bidder.. I was so happy to receive this as well... I will bring mine in when I bring in the Hurd of Plumeria.. Thank you for the info.. I really appreciate it very much!!!

Musaboro!! Thank you!!! Yes.. She is a sweetheart and is a wonderful " enabler". Lol.. She is a wonderful person and I'm so happy to have her as a friend !! She speaks highly of you as well..

Thank you for the kind comments one,y growing ability.. Lol. " no pressure"
    Eh? Lol.. I hope I can ate it happy and see some beautiful blooms.. For you to say you cannot love without one.. Says so much!! I will work hard to take good care of it!!

I do flush .. I do this to all of my trees... It just a natural process, since I don't fertilize every time I water.. FP can be used diluted at every watering, but I sometimes must don't have time, so,they all bet flushed along when it rains...

Thanks for all of the comments, guys and gals!!

Glad I'm in " the club". Lol.. I guess I'm always late to the party!! ;-)

Mahalo Nui Loa !!!

Laura

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is still looking good!! ;-)

Laura

• User
    9 years ago

Laura,
    Congrats on your new tree. It looks wonderful!
    Keep us posted on how it does for you over the winter.
    I wanted one too, but I don't have alot of room inside over the winter, so I must limit how many plants I bring in.
    If you really like the scent, let me know.
    Oh gee, here we go, I already want another thing, but we will see if its worth it. LOL!