Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dho1655

Michelia alba Bloom Question

dho1655
17 years ago

After months of heart-wrenching struggle, & with great trepidations I finally commited my beloved M. alba to the ground this spring in a spot that gets full sun. So far it has grown about a foot with lots of leaf growth & overall looks healthy but scarcely any blooms, whereas when it was growing in a pot in the shade it had plenty of blossoms. So does M. alba not bloom well in full sun? I'm in a mild climate zone of S. F. Bay Area so full sun is actually not scorchingly hot.

Comments (13)

• ankraras
    17 years ago

I believe that it's normal for plants to not bloom the first year after transplanting and I would not be concerned if it shows normal foliage
    growth and development. Any newly planted takes some time to establish their root system and put on their growth the first season.

{{gwi:8337}}

• marlene_9ca
    17 years ago

As long as your plant is growing well with new leaves, you should have one bud per leave node. If not, try fertilizing it more. Fish emulsion and Peter's 20-20-20 works well.

• longriver
    17 years ago

I am also in SF area, at city of Orinda. I have 10 plants of M. alba in 5 gal pot. I am in the process to repot them into 15 gal container. I gently tab off the container and place the undisturbed root mass into larger container. My previous experience indicated that the plants have been blooming nicely. I can't come up an answer to your situation. May be the timing of transplant, temperature of the ground and disturbance of root mass are all related to cause the the plant to make adjustment.

Plant can make interesting adjustment about growth. I would like to share with you one of my experience: I grow lots of camellia for breeding purpose. A yellow camellia species called Camellia nitidissima is very hard to form flower buds. It is possible that evening temperature in SF Bay Area is too cool or too cold for this plant to develop flower buds during the Summer time.

Last year in Spring I accidentally caused a branch to break, not broken off. I immediately keep the branch in a stabilized bandage. Then the branch was full of flower buds to bloom later yet the other branches showed rare few flowers. So this year I did the "breaking" intentionally to a few more branches. Now I have seen the tiny flower buds are already in formation.

• laimoniq CC9B
    2 years ago

How long until the buds open? I see tiny green buds since a month but not yet open.

• marlene_9ca
    2 years ago

The tiny green buds need to be about 1 1/2 inches and the weather is warm; it will open with sweet scent. I am in SF. Where are you located?

• w tt
    last year

Greerings fr SoCal

So glad i found this forum.

I got my M.Alba 1 year ago. Replanted it in massive clay pot and it gave small amounts of the flower ( and it was pretty consistent with 1 leaf:1 flower ratio). This year, just a whole lot of leaves. No flowers. It is alive and growing. I give 20-20-20 furtilizer and fish emulsion once a week and just water every other day.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• JEAN SIE
    last year

I have my flower buds for months already but not blooming. Could anyone advise why?

• matt38
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi @w tt, @JEAN SIE,

I would like to share my experience. I add 2 extra rounds of fertilizer with Scotts' Super Bloom (N-P-K: 12-55-6), one is in March, one is in April, besides of other regular fertilizing schedule. My M. alba plants produce more flowers than the previous years for the whole year. Hope this help.

• w tt
    last year

Thanks matt38!

• JEAN SIE
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello Matt38,

Thanks for the information. Very said now as I noticed the flower buds became smaller and thinner compared to before

more round and full. It seems like going to fall off.

• matt38
    last year

Hi @JEAN SIE,

If the buds are wilting and falling off , then the plant is possibly under stress. I notice some of the leaves are drooping, It might indicate that the plant is under stress too.
    If the plant has been watered recently and the soil is wet right now, stop to water it for two to three days, then restart your watering schedule again. ( Usually it is best to water M. alba every two to three days, unless the weather is very hot and the soil is dry.) But if the soil is dry right now, then water it. Add half strength of the "Miracle Gro" Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food fertilizer in your watering schedule every other week to see if it helps.

• JEAN SIE
    last year

Hi @ Matt38

Understood. I dropped by the nursery this afternoon and they told me the same thing. I will follow your instruction and hope it helps.

Thank you so much!

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro