Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason83_gw

Jasminum nitidum (Star Jasmine) - No fragrance?

jason83
13 years ago

This variety of jasmine I have dies back every winter only to return again in the springtime, bigger and better than ever.

I love the pink buds that open up into the beautiful pointy petaled flowers, and the fact that it doesn't completely take over an area, but I do not smell anything from the flowers - at all!

I have sniffed them morning, noon and night and smell nothing. Yet every source I have looked up says that the fragrance is "haunting, enchanting, powerful, etc" - is it just me?

Comments (8)

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I don't think it's just you. I use to have one of these...there is a scent but it was very faint. And the source I bought it from claimed it was intoxicatingly fragrant. I would describe the character of the scent somewhere between Maid of Orleans and a Tea Olive. There is a a hedge with flowers that smell like it, but I don't know the name..I think it's a Privet? But like I said, the scent was very faint for J. nitidum in my experience.

What's tried and true for me is Grand Duke of Tuscany...

• jason83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good to know it's not just me! I am glad I'm not missing out on the "intoxicatingly" fragrant nitidum :)

I do enjoy the Grand Duke and Maid of Orleans jasmines..

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    13 years ago

For me, J. nitidum has a very soft and delicate scent that is similar to Ivory dish soap. Pleasant and soapy but certainly not heady or overwhelming. I have never known it to waft either. It is a very attractive plant with shiny, dark green leaves and beautiful white flowers. But you do have to stick your nose into the blooms to enjoy the fragrance.

• jason83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you ispahan :)

I agree, it is very attractive. Too bad I can't smell anything! :)

• jimshy
    13 years ago

I agree with Isphahan that nitidum isn't one of the most fragrant jasmines, though it's quite pleasant, and almost everblooming when it gets big enough -- mine's turning into a monster out on the terrace -- morning and evening seem to be the best times to sniff for me, and perhaps a light dose of fertilizer will help bring out the scent?

Always take scent descriptions in catalogs and on line with a grain of salt!

Jim

• jason83
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll try a bloom booster along with some compost and see if that helps.

I don't know why but I know that when I go up to it I never smell anything, but I still walk up to it and give it a whiff. Wishful thinking I suppose :)

Thanks guys! :)

• jared peterson
    10 months ago

Here's what I have noticed: It was super fragrant the 1st season we purchased it… so far has not been fragrant in the 2nd or 3rd season… But that could be because it has a particular window where it gets really fragrant and it's not fragrant the rest of the time; And I might have just missed that window. But knowing how intense the fragrance 1st year, I can't say that I believe that this variety just isn't fragrance For a very short period