Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cestrum Nocturnum attracts snakes???

Posted by ashleysf 9 SF SouthBay (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 2:14

I have a Cestrum Nocturnum (night blooming jasmine) in my front yard. My neighbor's mother who is from India told me to remove the plant as she said that in her home town, people do not plant it because it is notorious in attracting snakes. She said that the scent of this jasmine is like some kind of pheromone that snakes find attractive.
And she said that she had personally seen Cobras in Cestrum Nocturnum bushes. She said that since I have very young kids, that this would be a highly unsafe plant to have in my yard where the kids play all the time.
Three issues facing me:
1. I HATE snakes and would not be within a mile of them. I am scared to death of them.
2. I have toddlers. I do not want to put my kids at risk.
3. This bush is blooming like there is no tomorrow. And I was so happy with it in my "fragrants garden" until now.
I need to decide if I should keep it or get rid of it. Has anyone heard of snakes taking up quarters in a Cestrum Nocturnum bush here in the USA. Can anyone please, please advise me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cestrum Nocturnum attracts snakes???

i expect this is "old wives tale" talk. if anything, the snakes are attracted to other things that are attracted to the plant. i.e. insects, lizards, frogs, birds, etc.
it is described as the food chain.
we don't have cobras in this country but you are almost certainly within a mile of local snakes. they move about, unnoticed by and harmless to people most of the time, and keep our home and garden pest population in check.
i think you should just enjoy your fragrant plant and not be concerned by this advice.

o

I agree 100% with Jeff.

o

Thanks jeff and buyorsell. You guys are making me feel better already!

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 9:30

Hmmm, this sounds like some misplaced reasoning: people like cestrum nocturnum, people plant it near their homes and hang out next to it; snakes (which are much more common in India than in SouthBay!) are living nearby anyway, and are seen near the plants, so -- cestrum nocturnum must attract snakes!

I doubt you will ever see a live snake outside of a pet store in your neighborhood, but local folks should say otherwise if I'm mistaken. Enjoy your plant!

Jim

o

does this have any relevance? :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of snake in Cestrum Nocturnum

o

I think you should be safe, a quick search shows that rattlesnakes which are the only venemous snake in your area rarely climb shrubs and trees.

the above pic is a black racer that I know lives in FL and they will climb all sorts of things but they are like an overgrown garter snake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here