Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrmiddleton_gw

Orchids that waft in the fall

mrmiddleton
16 years ago

Encyclia radiata blooms for me at the beginning of September. The blooms last until November. The strong wafting smell is most pronounced during the day. To my nose, it is a clean, floral, baby powder type of smell.

Lycaste aromatica blooms for me starting mid-August. The blooms can last until October - as long as the house does not get too hot. Usually they only last until mid-September. The strong wafting smell is most pronounced during the middle of the day, usually peaking around 3 in the afternoon. It smells just like cinnamon, and a single flower can perfume much of the house. Usually there are 3-5 slightly pendant flowers, but I have had as many as 11 on this plant. A new fan occurs each year with the flowers, and will usually reach 24-30 inches in length - so you need a large bright area for this plant to grow in after it finishes flowering. It will then drop its leaves when it is finished building the new pseudobulb, and go dormant for a few months (when you can store it in the garage or basement, while holding back on watering). This orchid fits easily on a mantle when flowering, and is extremely aromatic.

Comments (2)