Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solandra Species, varying fragrances? (Chalice Vine)

Posted by mattdiclemente z7 New Jersey (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 8:04

Dear Fragrant Friends,

Right now, up for sale on Ebay are specimens of of three species of Solandra, or Chalice. Simply put Solandra into the Ebay search engine. But are they all different, or even accurately identified? I am looking for information on the differences between Solandra longiflora, S. grandiflora and S. maxima. Are some larger or smaller as plants. Are their differences in bloom seasons, frequency or ease of cultivation or cultural requirements. Most of all, are their differences in the fragrances. I know S. maxima's blossoms are often compared to coconut.
Do others have input?

Thank-you!

Best wishes,

Sincerely,

Matt Di Clemente

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solandra Species, varying fragrances? (Chalice Vine)

Hi Matt!

Last night while reading before bed I came across solandra in The Evening Garden: Flowers and Fragrance from Dusk till Dawn by Peter Loewer. I remember he mentioned that S. longiflora is the most intensely scented species and that S. maxima's scent smelled of cheap toilet soap up close but was more agreeable farther away.
It's a great book if you haven't read it. Worth getting just for the illustrations alone. :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here