Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know which lilac & honeysuckle are VERY fragrant?

Posted by Irish_rose_grower z7 LI NY (maureenpm00@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 9:31

Hi. I wanted to get a honeysuckle vine and was wondering are there some that are more fragrant than others?

And same thing with the lilac bushes -- is there one that is more fragrant than the others?

Thank you.
maureen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know which lilac & honeysuckle are VERY fragrant?

Well japonica is the strongest scented vine but I think the shrubby lonicera fragrantissima is a stronger scented bush.

Syringa vulgaris is supposed to be the strongest scented lilac, can't say I'm a fan of the way lilacs smell though.

RP1

o

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 13:29

L. japonica halliana is the typical white-turning-gold-flowered one, and has a great scent -- that's why it's often planted -- but is very invasive in the NE. L periclymenum is not invasive, and has a fainter but still fine perfume.

Jim

o

For Lilacs, check out this site - it rates the lilac scent from 'Extreme', 'High', etc.
http://www.spi.8m.com/engcanadacat.html

o

Wow, what a great website. Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here