Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Mandevilla laxa from Logee's

I broke down and ordered Mandevilla laxa 'Chilean Jasmine' from Logee's since it's currently on sale. What can I say...I'm a sucker. I've been curious about it for a couple of years now and always check every white mandevilla I come across just on the odd chance it might be a laxa but of course it never is. I've read various accounts of its fragrance, everything from a heavy scent to a light scent to no scent at all and some describe it as a jasmine scent, vanilla scent or gardenia scent. I realize scent is subjective and that different cultivars can smell different so I'm wondering if anyone has purchased one from Logee's and what their thoughts are on the scent from the Logee's plant?

How does the plant perform in extreme heat? Does it continue to flower or does it just sulk and sit there until cooler weather arrives? Any info/tips would be appreciated.

I suppose if I'm disappointed with the scent from the Logee's plant I can try my hand at growing them from seed and see if any of the seedlings have a strong scent.

Thank you,

Robert

Comments (9)

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Well Robert, I can not say I can blame you on this one !

It seems to have such a nice flower. I saw these last week when I was there and almost bought one myself.

I hope you like it and it brings you years of joy.

Mike

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike!

Thank you. I hope I can keep it alive for many years to come.

Did you happen to sniff any of their blooms while you were at Logee's?

I received my plant yesterday and although it's fairly large and healthy alas there were no blooms.
    Guess I'll have to wait until next year! :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Robert!

Have you ever smelled the fragrance of a White Champaca (Michelia alba) in blossom?

Oh my goodness.Not to tempt you or anything like that, but wow! Their mother tree was in full bloom at the time.
    I am happy to say I now have one..lol

• bahia
    12 years ago

As far as I know, scent for Chilean Mandevillea is pretty reliable across the board, and you shouldn't have to worry about getting a scentless plant. They grow and flower quite reliably here in California, and from ones I've seen, the warmer the summers, the more blooms, and they tend to bloom less nearer the coast with cooler summer nights and more fog. I live near the coast myself, and suspect the fragrance carries further with warmer temps, but they always smell quite nice if you put your face up close.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

You're as bad as kemistry tempting me with new plants. :) No. I've never smelled Michelia alba but I want one (even though I've no room for a tree inside during winter).

bahia,

Thank you for the information. I've potted mine in a small hanging basket and think I'll keep it growing inside during the winter so it will have a head start come spring. :)
    Can't wait to smell the first bloom.

Robert

• fenius
    12 years ago

I have 4 mandevilla laxa seedlings growing their 2nd pair of leaves and I was wondering how long it will take for them to flower .. any thoughts?

• olympia_gardener
    12 years ago

Michelia alba fragrant is very pleasant. Ladies in Asia wear 1 or 2 flowers with their necklace or in the pocket as nature perfume. it resembles Star Magnolia in size,shape, and color. Michelia alba plant is expensive It is not a easy plant to successfully grow here during the winter. If Mandevilla laxa's fragrant resemble Michelia alba's. I would consider add it to my collection when it is on sale.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Olympia gardener,

Mike just went off topic when he mentioned Michelia alba. He was just trying to tempt me into buying yet another impractical tropical. ;)
    He was not meaning to say that Mandevilla laxa smells like Michelia alba.
    I've never smelled M. alba.
    I did read in Roy Gender's Scented Flora of the World that Hedychium flavum smells like Michelia champaca however you'd have to grow a ginger in a pot and place in outside in the summer if you'd ever hope to get some blooms.

-Robert

• kemistry
    12 years ago

AAh now i'm curious ;) I've been wondering what M champaca smells like.

About Michelia alba.. i love that plant. The flower smells exquisite and it can last up to a week. And the foliage smells pretty nice too! :o)