Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puddles_of_portland

Winter hazel & magnolia dianica

I have a 10' X 10' space that I want to put a fragrant shrub/small tree. I want one that I can control via pruning, and one that doesn't require a lot of fussing. Most of all, I want it to be very fragrant. 2 choices I'm considering from Heronswood Nursery are:

#1 Magnolia Dianica - apparently it used to run under the name "Michelia Yunnanesis." It is about 15' x 10' wide, and "exquisitely fragrant."

#2 Corylopsis glabrescens (winter hazel) - It's about 15' x 15' wide, with the later size being the concern.

So if anyone has any experience with either of these plants, I'd love to know what it (they) are like in terms of pruning, care, and fragrance.

Scott

Comments (9)

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

I think you could grow a michelia alba, champaca or (magnolia?)figo there instead, and I think you'd prefer the fragrance. Neither require any/much fussing and smell fantastic, if I could have a garden just of figos and albas I would. Magnolia coco is another nice choice for a fragrant tree.

I didn't think much of hazel, can't smell a thing from it during the winter, however chimonanthus praecox(wintersweet) on the other hand, has a gorgeous smell during the winter.

RP1

• jimshy
    18 years ago

To RP1 -- I'd be careful about suggesting tender plants for outdoor locations -- I don't think michelia alba or champaca would thrive in zone 8 Pac NW, and magnolia coco is strictly tropical!

I've had a mag. dianica aka yunnanensis, and it's a good grower, but it has yet to flower, partly due to having a hard life it's first two seasons, so I can't comment on fragrance, though I'm hoping the reports are true!

Puddles, you should also consider osmanthus fragrans and its hybrids, which would do fine in your area and have exquisite fragrance, and you could also consider lonicera fragrantissima, which has a long blooming season starting in winter, when not much is fragrant, though it grows quickly and will eventually require some pruning.

If you got one of the smaller magnolia cultivars -- stellata or the "little girl" hybrids, you'd never have to prune at all!

Jim

• risingpower1
    18 years ago

Well I don't know, it is zone 8, not zone 7, so I'd think the michelias would be doable, probably not the coco.

Maybe I'm off though.

RP1

• achang89
    18 years ago

Depends on what effects you like. For winter fragrance, get wintersweet or witch hazel (not winter hazel). For spring, get the deciduous magnolia, like the little girls. For everygreen, get large gardenia, magnolia 'Little Gem'. Osmanthus fragran is another wonderful choice. The Michelia figo is considered hardy, but smells too intense. I won't plant other Michelia varieties since they are too tender.

Also, be very careful about "very fragrant". You have to choose the right one, or you'll complain that the plant smells too much...

• cweathersby
    18 years ago

If you don't have alot of room, I'd suggest planting something with a longer bloom time than the winter honeysuckle or the gardenias. Sweet olives (osmanthus) are good, they bloom here from fall to spring, basically anytime it's not too hot. The banana shrubs (michelia figo) are good for rebloom, too. They bloom in the spring for me and again in the fall (they are blooming now and it's wonderful!) Since the banana shrubs and sweet olives bloom in the "not hot as he!l" seasons, I've always wondered how they would do in a climate like yours ... would they bloom almost year round?

• albertine
    18 years ago

Go to Cistus. Go to Cistus. Go to Cistus. They have all sorts of Michelias. Yunnanensis is a great cultivar for looks and adaptability. Michelia maudiae is hardy here - you can see them at 15th and Fremont NE - they are the street planting in front of those shops -Acadia for one- on Fremont. Unbelievably delicious fragrance in February. Yunnanensis is more shrubby, blooms later, not as, but still nicely fragrant. Last time I was there they had M. skinneriana, maudiae and doltsopa also. Skinneriana is a hardier larger version of figo. These were flowering size.
    I was a Heronswood devotee, but if Cistus has what you want, you will get a choice of much bigger plants, really well grown. Talk to Sean. Their selection is really world class.
    They also have Osmanthus fragrans and Lonicera fragrantissima.
    My Kleim's Hardy gardenia bloomed all summer.Chuck Hayes is also good for here.
    Don't forget Prunus mume. Rosemary Clarke is (was?) at Greer Gardens, white blossoms early early spring with a wonderful fragrance. Greer also has fragrant rhododendrons.

• davida
    18 years ago

I'm on the other side of the country. At least here, the osmanthus and magnolia mentioned are both wonderful. But I've been very pleased with my winter hazel. I have the species in my yard in part shade. In about a month, they will bloom with spikes of light yellow flowers that are beautiful. Mine has a most wonderful fragrance. During the rest of the year, it isn't fantastic, so mine has other plants in front of it. But I'm looking forward to the fragrance.

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

I love my Corylopsis. It blooms before the Prunus mume do, with a heavy sweet scent and waxy yellow blossoms. forestfarm carries several kinds. You're up near Gossler Farms aren't you? Have you been there inperson - are the witch hazels amazing? BTW, if you don't have a Prunus mume in your winter landscape, check them out at Cameliia Forest - I grow 'kobai', 'trumpet', and 'rosebud' - fragrance is to die for in Jan.

• albertine
    18 years ago

Greer Gardens in Eugene also has P. Mume. Wonderful fragrance.