Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflower vine -- scent dissapointment

Posted by td1026 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 10:35

I've seen ipomoea alba listed under "the most violently fragrant plants" thread on here and I have no idea why! The scent is very, very faint and not very pleasing. Smells like sunscreen to me. Does anyone on here have a moon vine that smells strong or wafts?? I was let down after all the hype.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflower vine -- scent dissapointment

I've never had luck growing moonflowers so not sure how they smell, they always got mowed down by some sort of insect. Daturas are super fragrant with a lovely scent, especially the white ones, if you want a super fragrant night bloomer. Though it's not a vine.

o

I was very disappointed too. I saw where is was listed to smell like Tommy cologne from Tommy Hillfiger. It was pretty close. To me it was very crisp and clean, almost astringent to the nose. I was hoping for a very heady, gardenia, jasminy, brug type of smell. And I had to stick my nose right in it to smell it. No wafting like the tea olives do. That was just my experience so I no longer grow them. In Florida, with the warm, muggy nights the fragrance alcohols tend to break down nicely, not in this flower, for me anyway.

o

Same for me blutayle. I was expecting a luscious perfume and exquisite waft from what I've read around here. Good thing I have night blooming jasmine in the backyard also. Now that plant wafts!

o

I tried moonflower about 5-8 years ago. I found no particular fragrance, either.

o
RE: Moonflower vine -- scent approval

i guess fragrance is subjective but i do like the scent. and, i think this is one of those plants who fragrance is a function of temperature and humidity, probably for pollination. they are similar to nicotiana to me in that respect with a heady, almost baby powder note to the fragrance. i can smell these from about 5' away on a calm night so maybe further if it is more breezy. they are very showy in the moonlight, too, and the vines would reach over 10' in length. this trellis is only 6' tall and they reached the top then grew downward to the bottom. flowers are almost 5" across. sphinx moths are attacted to them.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here