Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Got caught in a scent loop

Yesterday I came home at lunch to sniff my Plumeria 'Bangkok Fire' which is painfully, slowly opening. Laugh.

It was a hot and humid day which made everything smell absolutely amazing!

My sniffing loop started with Aglaia odorata (Chinese Perfume Plant). This has got to be one of my most favorite scents on the planet. If I could only have one plant to sniff it would probably be this one even though the scent can sometimes be light but when it wafts whoa, baby! I'm in heaven!

I then sniffed Plumeria 'California Sunset' which smelled very peachy! It's a delicious scent and yesterday's heat and humidity really made it smell strong.

Then it was onto Plumeria 'Bangkok Fire'! The colors are gorgeous and the scent is wonderful as well. Sort of a slightly spicy, lemony rose scent. This one is turning out to be on of my favorite plumies!

Next plant to sniff was my favorite passion flower, Passiflora x belotii. I've never been able to describe the scent but I love it and the purple/pink colors are beautiftul.

Then it was back to the Chinese Perfume Plant to start the cycle all over again. I think I did this at least 3 times. Laugh.

Have you ever been caught in a scent loop and if so what plants kept drawing your nose back? :)

-Robert

Comments (11)

• greendale
    10 years ago

Ooh, Robert, do not keep tempting me with your plumeria....I am NOT ready for another plant....and may I ask how do you overwinter your Passion flower? (I know, I know) I should not be interesting in it at all.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! Greendale!

My latest plumie to bloom is 'Gold Coast Peach(y)!
    It's beautiful and smells awesome! Coconuty/cinnamony?

I grow my passion flower in Al's fast draining 5:1:1 mix and move it down into the basement when it gets cold. I keep it lightly watered (never water logged) during its winter rest. :)

-Robert

• greendale
    10 years ago

Argh, I thought California sunset was my favorite but now the Gold Coast peach beats it for the color, and coconut smell always on my favorited list too. So does the Passion flower drop its leaves in winter and it is vine right? Editing my coming spring shopping list now...:)

My chinese perfume flowered for me last month but I did not get any picture. The plant is small - around 10 inches only - so the scent is not very strong, but I can still smell it if my nose is close enough.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Robert! I hear ya..lol

First I smell my Petunias' which next takes me to my Hoya which is hard to describe...It's then right into the yard with the smell of Lilies in the air to be followed by my gardenia right back to my petunia's...ha

By the way, both my Chinese Perfume plants are to die for..Those start at the beginning of my yard and whaff only when it's humid out!

By the way, where dod you get that Gold Coast Peachy? I just may try Plumies again because of you, I love anything with a coconut smell...
    How do you store your plumies for the winter and how much hot sun do they receive?

Beautiful and great job!

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Robert! I hear ya..lol

First I smell my Petunias' which next takes me to my Hoya which is hard to describe...It's then right into the yard with the smell of Lilies in the air to be followed by my gardenia right back to my petunia's...ha

By the way, both my Chinese Perfume plants are to die for..Those start at the beginning of my yard and whaff only when it's humid out!

By the way, where dod you get that Gold Coast Peachy? I just may try Plumies again because of you, I love anything with a coconut smell...
    How do you store your plumies for the winter and how much hot sun do they receive?

Beautiful and great job!

Mike

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    10 years ago

Robert... Lol.

Killing me!!!

Lol

Laura

• kandhi
    10 years ago

Robert, Your plumeria's are looking amazing! Bankok fire, the color is so intense and I also like 'gold coast peach' flower color. Where did you buy these?

• kemistry
    10 years ago

That Gold Coast Peach looks super pretty Robert! : )

Original Author
    10 years ago

Greendale,

I cut my passion flower down to about 2ft during before I bring it down into the basement. We've got lights down there so it does lose some leaves but not all. I suspect if you leave it in a sunny window indoors it would hold its leaves. :)

Mike,

So glad I'm not the only one who's found themselves acting nutty by sniffing the same plants over and over again. Laugh.

I got my Gold Coast Peach at Brad's Buds and Blooms.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg0809592627017.html?59

I shove all the plumies down into the basement over winter and give them as much sun as possible when it's warm. :)

Laura,

So glad you're still hanging around here!

Kandhi,

Thank you! I got my Bangkok Fire Plumeria from Plumeria Treasure but I think there are several vendors who carry it like Brad's.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg061033362160.html?26

Kemistry!

So glad to see you! I was wondering where you've been. :)

Yes. Gold Coast Peach is beautiful but it's my partner's phone that is making it look so gorgeous.
    It's lighter in real life.
    I did bring a bloom from it along with Chiang Mai Rainbow and California Sunset to work today and had several people smell it. Some preferred Gold Coast Peach but a lot liked the citrus grapefruit scent of Chiang Mai Rainbow. ;)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg0709133931301.html?42

This is turning out to be an excellent year for me when it comes to plumeria blooms! :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Robert!!!

(II am so bummed out!!!! They have no more and I have been looking all over the net for anyone that sells one like it and can't find one:-((((((((((((((( x a million.

That really stinks..Anything real sweet or with a hint of cocnut is what I crave for and to sniff over and over again..lol Sometimes I think my friends think I am nuts when I try to get them to smell the same any flower more than once...

Hello to every one else and I wish you all a great night!

Mike

Original Author
    10 years ago

Another plumie with a sweet cocnut scent is 'Rhonda'. I'm sure there are tons more.
    Sorry 'Gold Coast Peach' is sold out. :(

-Robert