Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterk312

Do the roots of this gardenia looking healthy (see image)?

peterk312
10 years ago

(Nice typo in the title of this post...you know what I mean.)

I've got a gardenia standard that was in a container and is recovering from loosing its leaves and getting too much heat and sun. The soil may have been retaining too much water and I replaced it with a faster soil. After a month now I'm trying to determine if the roots are growing or not. So, I quickly took it out and put it back in after I took a photo:

I don't know what gardenia roots should look like. There are definitely no white roots with hairs, only these cream colored fleshy type roots along with some very thin strands of dark colored roots, which I assume are dead but still attached.

This post was edited by peterk312 on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 11:52

Comments (6)

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no. I just read this:

"Nematodes: Various nematodes (microscopic roundworms) feed on the roots of gardenias. Above-ground symptoms of root damage resulting from nematode feeding include wilting during hot, dry weather, oftentimes with recovery at night. Leaves may show yellow mottling and other indications of a nutritional deficiency. Over time the plant may become stunted and exhibit dieback of branches."

--that's exactly what happened to my plant slowly over the summer.

Further, "Below-ground symptoms depend on which nematode species are feeding as well as how many are feeding. Root damage can include stunting, discoloration, excessive branching and/or the presence of galls (small swellings of plant tissue). "

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/shrubs/hgic2058.html

There's a picture there of the knobby, fleshy roots that looks a little like my plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/shrubs/hgic2058.html

This post was edited by peterk312 on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 12:08

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I should have added that there's been no sign of new leaves or branch buds. I just assumed the plant basically went dormant trying to survive without having adequate roots. So, I made sure it was in the shade and have been waiting for a month now.

• User
    10 years ago

Peterk,
    Put the plant back in the pot and go buy a moisture meter at your local store. They are cheap and easily available.
    I am going to assume this is a new plant for you.
    I am going to assume you live in a colder zone, below 7, and you wan tto keep it in pot for winter time.
    Gardenias like morning sun. Afternoon shade.
    They are like Rhododendrums, they are big shrubs, and they don't like being moved or depotted at all.
    My best advise to you would be to leave it alone and water it with the hose once a week.
    Put it in a basement that is cool in the winter, it hate being in a house over the winter, it hates it inside, and it hates dry heat.
    Good luck. Don't fertilize it, leave it alone.
    It's really going to get yellow leaves now, because you took out of the pot.
    Yellow leaves falling off is OK. It's not dying, just complaining.
    Brown leaves from the bottom up is bad.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for that bit of advice, but...

I only need the answer to my question. There's lots of info about growing gardenias on the Internet, along with lots of myths and superstitions (e.g., don't take it out of its pot! Now it will loose all its leaves!). My plant barely has any leaves and has had wilted branches and leaves in many places, which according to some people is grounds to toss it. It has green on the main trunk and some stems, but it's a tough call if you don't know what the roots should look like. Plus, I just found out that gardenias are real susceptible to root nematodes (see above link), and if that's the case, and it's difficult to know what to look for at the roots, then for all anyone knows nematodes might be why this plant does so poorly with so many people. I do not know, however, if plants in pots are as susceptible as plants in the ground.

I can't find much information on the Internet about what the roots of this plant should look like when they are healthy.

This post was edited by peterk312 on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 12:55

• User
    10 years ago

Peterk,
    Your roots are healthy.
    Nemotodes live in the soil, in poor sandy soil in SC and south.
    They are really bad in Florida, so I don't know where you live, but if you h ad it in the ground in Florida, there is a slight chance you might get nematode damage.
    You don't have it now.
    If you keep it in the pot, you won't get it.
    Good Luck.
    I was just trying to help, I have Many gardenias over ten years and was just trying to help from my experience.

• peterk312
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again for the advice, butterfly4u. And the plant is back in its pot.

Because I bought this from Lowes when it was 50% off, I have no clue what they did with it or if it had been in the ground at the nursery and then potted up before it was shipped. Who knows what kind of contamination was possible. The plant was so sad looking with yellow leaves when I bought it. It's sort of been declining since then. I'm looking for signs that it is improving, and the condition of the roots has always been a concern to me. But since I don't know what might indicate a problem with the roots, that's why I'm looking for help.