Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morganx_gw

Is this a gardenia problem?

morganx
18 years ago

Although my gardenia seems basically very healthy, some of its leaves have started getting spots on them like this:

. I thought they might be caused by a pest, or some kind of sunburn, or too many minerals in the pot, and I hoped someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

The leaf burn looks either chemical related or perhaps sunlight with water on the leaves. You're growing this in a pot? How big is the plant and the pot?
    Your new growth looks ok so that's encouraging. Might this have been a few months ago when you set it outside into hot sunlight from another area?
    kevin

• leafylea
    18 years ago

Could it be from liquid fertilizer? I've seen this when fertilizer is used from a watering can and when the last bit of the fertilizer powder is not fully dissolved. L

• jbcarr
    18 years ago

It could be white flies. Hit the branches, and if there's white flies, they'll come off the plant in a cloud. I have gone to routinely spraying mine because they are such a pest.

• morganx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jbcarr, there aren't any clouds of bugs.

Coolplants, the gardenia is about 3' tall and growing in a 12" terra cotta pot. It's possible that I moved it just a bit too far along the sunshine gradient on my patio and it's been cooking a bit. It is entirely possible that I've managed to sunburn it for the first time and just didn't know what it looks like. I'll edge it back into the shade.

Leafylea, it might be possible, but the fertilizer I use (Miracid) is supposed to be ok for foilar feeding, so that shouldn't burn leaves, right?

Thanks for your help!

• yeshwant91
    18 years ago

I have the same problem and I think it might have to do with excessive foliar feeding. I have stopped feeding mine for a bit to see what happens. I also may have watered mine too much and some of the leaf tips have wilted (looks like root rot). Any ideas?

• leafylea
    18 years ago

I'm not sure what Miracid is but I've seen even a organic type liquid fertilizer burn leaves when the mix was too concentrated
    in the bottom of the watering can! Some of even the fish type ones can contain small amount of salts apparently enough to burn leaves. I've seen this on papayas [paw paws] other house- type pot plants.
    Yeshwant, if you think you have root rot, you could try drenching the soil with Potassium permanginate [about 1/8 teaspoon to 1 ltr or about 2 pints] or copper oxycloride same mix. I like the 1st one as it also provides some potash. I've managed to save lots of things with root rot this way. [Here you buy the P. permanginate at a drugstore]good luck. L

• yeshwant91
    18 years ago

Right now, I had to prune all the wilted and almost dried out branches, but a part of the plant has nice healthy glossy leaves and is growing. Will try the KMnO3.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner