Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hmmm Poet's jasmine

Posted by mehitabel z6 MO (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 11:49

I have a couple of the Poet's Jasmine that I got last summer. The viny ones with segmented leaves. These have gotten very big. They're in 12" pots not, and lots of growth, lots of flowers.

Last year with a flower or two they had what I thought of as a nice scent. This year haven't found much scent. Maybe wrong time of day, maybe the old nose. But today, they both had a powerful scent. And not nice at all, too strong and with unpleasant notes in it.

Now I have to decide whether to keep these another winter. Anyone else have comments on the scent of this one?

This is one I would maybe grow over an old shed in the back of a big yard if I lived where it was hardy in the ground. I'm not sure it's for close ups.

Would really appreciate other's reactions to this scent.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hmmm Poet's jasmine

Poet's Jasmine.....

Jasminum officinale?
To me this one smells consistently good.
It is like Jasminum sambac.
Just like Sambac though, there are so many different forms.
Is your plant hardy where you live? Where did you purchase your plant? Is there anything you have changed culturally from last year?

Best wishes,
Sincerely,
Matt

o

Hi, Matt. Thanks very much for the reply.

Yes, I meant officionale, from Logee's. I'm very glad to have your comments about the scent. Last year, with lots fewer flowers, I loved the scent. This year there seemed something "off" about it-- too strong, too harsh.

I'm zone 6, so not hardy here. Culturally? I pot garden by blind habit, so unlikely it has changed.

o

Mehitable,
I feel the same way when my Wisteria blooms.
At first, when it didn't bloom all that much the first year, it smelled good. I had it planted by my front door, and the flowers were pretty.
The second year it bloomed heavy, and the smell was strong and potent.
I didnt' like it at all.
I moved it, now I am fine with it, just too strong for me.
Smell is different for everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here