Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_novice82

Identifying gardenia disease

garden_novice82
15 years ago

Hello,

I live in Los Angeles, CA and recently obtained a gardenia plant. The plant seemed healthy, but I found that it was infested with mealy bugs. I started treatment by dabbing with alcohol and followed up with a dish soap-alcohol spray, which seemed to keep the pests under control. The gardenia still has some mealy bugs, as I have observed, but it is considerably "better" than before.

When I got the plant, it was in a plastic, green, nursery container (about 6" in diameter and 5" in height). But, I recently gave it a new home in a 9" pot (probably 8" or 10" tall) with organic acidic soil/mulch.

When I removed the plant from its first home, I noticed on the sides (where the soil had contact with the pot) that there was a silvery, white web spread across the surface. This web also looked like it had 2 or 3 white sacs randomly scattered on it. Before placing the plant in it's new home, I removed as much of the original potting soil as possible - especially after seeing this strange webby, moldy looking thing.

Now, in its new home, I'm noticing that a similar web has crept to the surface of the soil and slowly spreading. It's hard to describe it without calling it "mold" because that's what it looks like. Given this information, could someone please help me identify this beast so I can follow-up with the appropriate treatment?

Much thanks!!

Comments (4)