Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Comrades, I just sined

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

Hi, all. I have to confess my recently aquired 4 sins...J. french perfume(Jasminum grandiflorum), Jasminum tortuosum; Orange Jasmine (Murraya paniculata); Tree Jasmine (Holarrhena pubescens).... I know , I know, it is my sinful nature, can't resist temptation... But if you have smelled sinful fragrant of french perfume jasmine and tree jasmine,I feel in heaven... I confess my sin and pray for having more windows ...

Comments (150)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh dang, I forgot to tell you all and confess.

I have a 'Dwarf Singapore Plumeria' that I picked up at Logees, TWO years ago and I have to see it flower. That one will get pitched next if it does nothing for me next spring...........I just confessed.

Now, don't slap me with a wet noodle, please..

Godness, my speling was horidble in mi last post triing to hury up befor my bos c's me on herree..lol

Mike:-)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Mikey - stop killing plants. If you decide to get rid of that plumie - send it my way. that will give me a chance to try a 'large' plant - without stressing over its health if it doesn't survive my small digs and inadequate window space. :)

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rose, they looked like little plants , all green, very nice. It might take them much longer to root. hanging there.

Mike, indeed, throwing a fragrant plant or any plant away without offering it to any of nuts here is a 10 times worse sin...Immediate repent is a correct action to take...LOL
    I'll be happy to help you on this. Anytime, you want to committee such sin, just pack it and sent it to my way.
    Rose is the bean counter here. According to her,you were the last one committed sin before I did. We are pretty much competing in neck to neck in the sin department... LOL, hopelessly. Frankly, I stopped by Lowe on the way home last night and picked up a house plant called Purple Waffle( Hemigraphis Alternata) for $0.50. I love its beautiful purple leaves on its backside. Of course, it is not fragrant so it does not count as a sin. I just helped Lowe to empty its shelve space...LOL.

This is a strange group plants I got. One with big scare on, one is all twigs, looks like dead twigs, one has 3 leaves and will grow into 20' tree... Oh boy, I got handful...The Jasmine is dwarf tree jasmine, I remember something I bought is dwarf; but the plumeria is not, Robert find it out for me ( thank Robert). But it is fragrant. The white forsythia is forbidden in Korea. Don't know how you can forbid a plan there, just tell them not to grow?... anyway,I don't care, but I have one now. It is supposedly very fragrant. here is my three stooges.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Oh Toni, I'm not really counting beans - just seems that I read recently that Mikey's afraid he'll never take a vacation because he keeps bringing in more n more plants... well... he must be a bigger sinner than me - because I don't stess over this yet. My cats eating, yes. Plant waterings... there's only 5 windows - if the plants aren't there - they probably aren't doing very well, to begin. :)

So, yes, Toni - just maybe you are a bigger sinner than Mike and have been since the beginning ... you just haven't mentioned escaping them for a weekend or two weeks - so, we're gonna have to assume that you're less of a collector than Mikey is. :) (and that's how my mind works - circular n round-about, and assumptive ... gotta' love woman's logic. )

• roseyd
    11 years ago

and I'm a huge fan of twigs... my honeysuckle began as a twig and she's really pretty now.

I may end up gritting my teeth and getting a plumie... they're really quite different seeming. I only wish they'd stay small... can one bonsai them?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

RoseD..you must have a super-duper green thumb growing not only Honeysuckle, but Hydrangea indoors.
    When it flowers, will you add ? so flowers turn blue?

Have you seen loveplants2/Laura's Plumes? OMG, they're gorgeous trees.
    Another addiction..lol.
    For true plant lovers, how can one stick to one plant type? That's how they accumulate.

Rose, of course you're not in denial.... :)

Mike, although I don't agree or condone, I still have plants outside w/o a home..Scindapsis/Screw pine..it's huge. Tree, braided Hibiscus..It has a place indoors. Clivia started from seed, 1982. Cinnamon Tree. Jade, 'weighs a ton.' Strawberry Jar filled w/various succulents. Euphorbia. Think that's all, but don't have a clue where most will winter.

I feel bad tossing out plants, too.

OG..do you know the type of plant that's leafless? Is it dormant or just lost leaves due to neglect? Might turn out to be one beautiful plant.

Wonder why Forsythis is forbidden in Korea? Interesting. Could it be invasive or possibly a religious belief?

Rose, lol..I was a big sinner, and still would be if my MRI's read different..
    Although, not fragrant, there are a few succulents I want. Also, can't recall botanical name, but the fragrant plant called Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow..scented flowers that change colors. Oh, Brunsfelsia...I'd like a Standard Bruns..then again a space problem..sigh..

He who is without sin cast the first plant.. :)

Guess we're all sinners. lol

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I'll give you a secret... they grow indoors when you choose semi shade plants, then put them under a t-5 bulb. :) doesn't take any color thumb to do that. :)

Olympia, you're right - the non-rooted cuttings are small - only about 4-5"s each. and, the colder it gets, the more yellow and falling leaves I'm dealing with. I think I may be doing a bit of overwatering, as well. I've got to learn better control on that caserole 'pot'. :)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I think we should all start our own confession booth, so that way we can all feel less guilty after torturing our plants with less than ideal conditions and even murder them!Laughing out load but feeling guilty about that too.

Now wait. Toni has me beat in the guilty pleasures department! Ask here when was the last time she ordered a plant?
    Mine was yesterday and I'll bet hers was 2 minute ago!Hahah

You girls and guys are in with me on this? No matter how much we run out of room, we still buy hopeing for a bigger house with big windows and or a greenhouse someday?
    We all buy thinking to ourselves they will all have room someday, but they will just have to wait/sit on the sides of our windows, toilets, refridgerators, bathtubs, cellars, toasters, sheds, attics, closets, T.V's, and left outside to get snowed on.
    By the way, there will always be one or two that always deserve that prime spot on the window sill facing due sun, if you can fit them!

lol

Mike

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Uh... Mike, you seem deluded... we're NOT all that bad. :) Just you and Toni... ;)

the rest of us only buy plants that we know will fit our space... we don't crowd any of them, either. And while I do have a purple petunia in my shower - it's only there because I wanted that north facing window to have a bit of life in it.

We're not all 'Addicts', ya know. :)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rose...I give up...no idea which plant you have. :)

Mike...you're too funny.

But truthfully, I haven't ordered plants prior to my last two MRI results, nor do I plan on adding more.
    Believe me, it's hard not to 'Add to Cart.'
    Might as well confess.

My doc said, since there's no surgery that can be done for my spine, 'it's really messed up/long story,' my future might be spent in a wheel chair. I pray to God it's later than sooner.

My left knee needs replacing, but I'm holding off until the time comes where I can no longer stand.

If I can't get around, how would plants be tended to?? You know how dh and son are...
    I'm very very depressed about this situation, but what can I do? So, truely, I will not be buying anymore plants. I can't. It's hard avoiding online nurseries and Ebay, places a good number of my plants were purchased.

There's still plants outside, including my Clivia that was sowed from seed in 1982. It's NEVER been out in the cold this long. And a 10-yr-old + braided Hibiscus and more.
    I feel terribly guilty plants are sitting in night temps at 30-31F degrees...but remaining plants are too heavy to lift, I don't want to end up in the hospital.

If things were different, every single plant would be safely indoors. Cozy and warm, and I'd be browsing plants, jotting notes which plants to buy come spring.

It's difficult watering plants in the house. I've been watering 'x' amount per day since soil is bone dry.

The house is super dry, 'haven't yet turned on humidifer or indoor fountain,' so many leaves yellowed and fell. It's way too dry inside.

Unless a miracle occurs, no new plants will be added.

However, I love looking at others' plant pics, so I hope more are added to the forums.

Mike, you knew my motto..'There's always room for one more.' :)

Last night I decided to have a talk w/son/Michael. Explain I need help today, in the house and hauling plants still outside.
    But at 3am, he woke w/stomach flu..been in and out of the bathroom since..

So much needs doing and here I sit..but I'm waiting for dryer to finish....Michael's clothes..

But, yes, I admit, in the past I have sinned at least 400 times.

Rose, I scrolled up to look at your Petunia again..It's so pretty, healthy and deep purple. I love Petunia's fragrance.

BTW and for the record. I'm not giving up on my plants..No Siree Bob. Just working at a slower pace. Toni

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Toni -I'm so sorry to hear what bad shape you're in right now. I guess I'll have to tone down on the spider jokes and pay attention better...

we've got to find you a plant person to help you with those last few plants... (I had thought you'd run out of indoor space as the reason they were still outside) NOW that you've explained, surely there must be someone online here who lives close enough that they can save your clivia?

If you were only an hour's drive - I'd be there tonight. I'm sure there has to be someone in IL.

Maybe we can bribe them with a few plants if they are able to help out. :)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rose, continue with spider or any other jokes. Please..We all need a laughter in our lives..Especially these days.

I bought a dolly so that will help carry plants..

Some need dividing, so I might tilt pots, and seperate. Especially the JAde which has several trunks and super heavy.

Thanks anyway..The house is a mess right now, lol, so wouldn't want anyone over...

We're supposed to install a carpet and buy a new couch, but dh had gout and problems w/his arm so that will have to wait.

Otherwise, please make all the spider jokes you like..it's funny hearing people's responses.

BTW, space is an issue with large plants. Sometimes, I forget they'll one day grow into big plants..lol.

Have a good day...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Rosey, we need to pick Toni's spirit up for sure so keep the spiders coming, will ya? lol

I too have been in a no so happy mood. I can't figure out what it is, but at least we can laugh here.

Not deluded, just delusional...lol

Toni, I was thinking....This is what I have to do, it hurts, but works!

Why not cut some of your bigger plants way back for the winter, and then you will have the room? How about trimming the roots come spring and putting them back into snaller pots? They will come back you know, a much healhier plant and better able to manage. I WISH I could let my plants grow as big as I want or they want, bt I can't do allow them too:-(

Then in summer, they come righ back and sometimes looking better than they did the year prior.

Now come on, cheer up:-) You always have us, and like Rosy said, maybe a Craigs list add or search for a plant lover around here you could ask for help.
    You know that I would if I lived within driving distance to you.

Tell Mike and your DH that I am going to kick them in the behind if they don't help you around the house more often. How many years did you carry your Son? He should at least carry your plants for you:-)

Many hugs.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike,

You said you're feeling a little down, too.

First, you're worried about your parents. Your dad having, cancer, and your mom being il.

Second, I believe a good number of people feel blue when winter approaches. Gloomy weather equals gloomy spirits.

I'd rather see snow than deal with dark, gray, sunless days..I feel awful when there's no light to speak of for days on end.

Mike, last Friday I went outside..got all but 3 plants safely indoors.

The three plants left are Pandanus, Ming and Foxtail Ferns. Pandanus cannot be cut back..it's grown, 'at least in my eyes,' for its thick, swirly trunk.

Also, don't know if new fronds will grow on Ming and Foxtail if stems are cut back.

Anyway...you should see my 'shiner.'

While hauling plants in on Friday, I had an accident.

I placed my Clivia, 'heavy weight,' on a dolly..As soon as the Clivia was set on the platform of the dolly, the entire thing tipped over and the metal handle smacked my head..oh my God!

Everything went black. Minutes later a bump, the size of a large marble, appeared by my temple.
    I was sooooo scared.

Didn't know if I should go to the ER.
    My eye is black and blue. It's embarrassing going out..I tried covering the shiner w/makeup, but it's too dark to cover. lol

Mike, believe me, there's nobody around to ask..as for Crsigs List, didn't you see that movie? The Craigslist Killer.. Based on a true story..I'd rather lift the plants myself..lol. Crazy people in our world..Serial killers..too many Gacy's around.

If I ask Mike or dh, they'll help, but complain...sometimes I ignore their grumbles, but it's easier doing it myself.

Also, Michael's very sick..he either has stomach flu or food poisoning. He went to Dunkin' Donuts at 4am, Thurs morning. An hour or two later he ended up in the bathroom.. He's still in the bathroom with 101 fever.

Since dh is the bread winner, I hate asking for his help, but in the meantime, he's gotten lazier over the years..Our house needs a LOT of work..he won't fix the problems nor will he hire someone to do it. So, as I sit here, there's a hole on the ceiling, cover w/crappy plastic, that leaks. See what I mean?

Anyway, I'm thinking, if possible, Ming and Foxtail will be divided..I don't want to lose either..
    They've been w/me a long time, and very pretty around autumn. Both flower and berry.

Thanks, Mike..I know you'd come over if you were in the neighborhood..of course, if you were nearby, we'd both have twice as many plants as we do now..lol. Toni

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Toni and Mike, I'm sorry you're both been in a fowl (foul) mood, that worries, health issues, and pet woes abound.

My Papi is still with me, getting worse but I'm not ready to let her go yet. She sleeps with me every night, and still picks up her toys to play every morning ... so, although I know she's not what she was, I still get enough food into her, and am hoping she'll last a bit longer.

I'm hoping the link I include will 'link'... it's to a artists' website and I found this particular forum link over the weekend for members to post their worst art ...and was laughing so hard ... Sad to say, some of these paintings are masterpieces - I'm to new an artist that I've got a lot of things to learn. :)

I hope you'll get some cheer. (not much more we can do with our plants this time of year - besides try not to kill them... )

Here is a link that might be useful: wetcanvas - art humor

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Oh, and what exactly will I do when my plants no longer fit under the grow lights? I noticed last night that my mandavilla is about half an inch away from the lightbulb. she's grown about 4 inches in the last month and has about 3 or 4 buds almost ready to open.

And the honeysuckle is in similar position. are 5" pots big enough for them, now that they're growing taller??? should I already consider transplanting?

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, sorry to hear about your spine and keen. new technology develops fast, we have better solutions in a few years... Hanging there.

Rose, I saw one of my professor in the college grew vine in his office. He just let the plant circulates around 4 walls. Frankly, he office looked very green and the plant looked very health.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I don't know how the Mandavilla will handle the low light setting if it strays to far from the grow light. The honey-suckle - ... I guess I could move her to the south facing room and string her up to run up the side of the window????

I'd been hoping to do that with the jasmine polyanthum but she's a lot slower growing than the honeysuckle so maybe they will just have to exchange rooms to make way for the ones that taller/quicker.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hi guys! I have a lot of catching up to do with these threads as I've been transplanting, rearranging ecc...not to mention scouting new territories in the antique roses forum!(yes, new obsession already!)
    I now find myself with 4 old roses and 3 more on their way with no space for them in the balconies whatsoever... I'm a lost cause in need of a shrink!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Oh Fenius, I envy you - old roses are gorgious! what varieties did you find? :) If you need some room, you could send them my way - I'll make room for them. ;)

It's the wrong time of year to put roses in the ground up here though, so I guess that wouldn't work...

outdoor gardening ... and there's 2 inches of snow on the ground when I left home this morning. .. and I never had any luck of keeping roses indoors in pots. And I TRIED multiple times! ...

send us pics! :)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Good Morning..

Rose, I checked the 'art' work..A few were well done, others, well, they'd best go back to art school. lol.

I do NOT like modern art..Looks like someone splattered paint on a canvass. lol..Heck, I've seen Graffiti painted on Chicago buildings, better suited for an art musium. Just my opinion, but I prefer real pictures. I like Currier and Ives paintings, especially Christmas/winter scenes.

Rose, how's Papi doing since you posted? Any improvement? How's the sinus/allergy problem?

Rose, that's the problem with plants..they get taller. lol.
    When we first buy a plant, we think of its size at the time, never considering the future.
    Maybe we should stick to minis. lol.

Maybe you should wait until spring to repot. How much growth has your Mandavilla and Honeysuckle put out since you got them?

I once read, if one wants to keep a plant on the small side, 1. don't pot often and 2. less fertilizer during growing season.
    But, depending on the type of plant, no matter what one does, roots will crack a container when filled.
    My Clivia has cracked 3 containers the last 15 yrs.

OG. thank you..trying to be optimistic.. :)

Rose, try not to move high-light plants to too much shade. They might start growing spindly. You know? Smaller leaves, too.

It snowed already??? I read NY got hit..
    If you don't mind me asking, which state do you live in? If you'd rather not answer, don't worry about responding.

Winter arrived so fast..What happened to 4th of July? lol. Seems like a month ago.
    I dislike night..the last 3 days the sky has been grey. They said sun today..where is it? It's gloomy all day, then night comes early..

Rose, I too gave up trying to keep roses indoors..They're beautiful plants, but are spider mite magnets.

Jewel's 'grocery' usually has mini roses on sale, but not worth the risk infecting other house plants..

I once tried growing a mini rose outdoors, but it died..doubt they're hardy in z5.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fenius,good to see you. You ought to confess your sin... what are names of 7 roses you just got addict to?
    I have been lurking at rose forum wanting to get a climbing rose. Haven't decided on the color, the double/single petals, or ever bloomer, but it must be fragrant for sure. The problem is that most zone 5 rated climber still will have cane die back in the winter...Hardy enough for the roots, not hardy enough for the canes.... It may be a good thing though... I may skip committing one more sin this time...

Toni, hope you feel better. Did the swallow goes down yet?
    I love mini roses, they are so pretty and don't take up much space to keep them... I doubt the mini roses that Jewel sale are hardy enough. but I think we can grow mini roses outside with good selection of location. I used to date a guy in streamwood. He has a some mini roses scatted outside his garden. One spring, I moved them all together called the area the grave of the roses... I was expecting half of them die after I moved them, but they all survived. His yard is next to the house and south facing though...

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I couldn't stop laughing at all the art, especially the wandering eye series of the masters' works redone 'wrong' :) I had desperately needed the laugh.

Papi doesn't respond to any of the meds now - although I keep giving her the pills, the antibiotic and steroid. She's slowing down considerably, since the weekend, she no longer wants to play fetch with her toys. She was taking to bed with her, so I'd wake up with a toy mouse under me - what a lump...

but now, she's shutting down more. I think she's having more problems going to the bathroom, she goes into the litter box, but nothing comes out - she stands there, looks at me, gets out ... then goes back in a few times... but doesn't even squat ... just stands in there. I think her kidneys may be failing her, and it won't be long now.

She still doesn't seem in pain. she has less energy to follow me around the apartment and I pick her up and bring her with me when I need to feed, wash her swollen eyes, or medicate. but if she's not in pain, I'd like her to be with the family until the end and go naturally. She's very much loved.

I suspect she's only got a few days left, and I'm preparing her coffin - I found a box that should fit her, and will paint it with some nice art, calming scenery, some photos of her family and her toys for when it's her time. (sorry this is so depressing.)

As to the vines! OH MY! the honeysuckle is now moved to the south window and it's almost??? 3 feet tall stretching within inches of the top part of the window. yes, and she came spindly - she has the one stick in the ground, and grows out into 2 branches. All that, from a 14" dead looking stick and 2 months? ... the mandevilla is growing a little slower than that, thank goodness! still - it'll only be a matter of time before I will have to find another way to get her more light - there's only so many plants that I can put in those south facing windows. I may need to move the metal rack out, and put back in a sill height table.

My geraniums are blooming a second set... who would ever think that ID like seed geraniums inside as a house plant?

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Oh, I didn't mean to avoid the question. I live near Boston, MA.

I have a mini rose outside in my yard now. Doesn't have a scent though - and, she's huge for a mini - almost 3 feet tall. she's called "our little secret". I hope she comes back - she's very pretty. still throwing out blooms last week. Now, with the snow - there may not be many roses left to bloom for this year.

OG, you really do want a climber... a yellow one. :) So, I picked the color for you - you have time to research for next spring and the next planting season. :D

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Good Morning,

OG..How tall do mini roses grow in-ground?
    Do you know where the guy in Streamwood bought his mini's?
    I wouldn't know which to order..
    One side of our house is south-facing..that's where the red rose grows..
    Because there's extra room on either side of the rose, I usually plant annuals, but wouldn't mind replacing with hardy mini roses..where do you find hardy mini roses?

Do you know if they need mulching? How did the guy in Steamwood over-winter his?

My dh has family that lived in Streamwood...they moved a few years ago, but lived there forever..5 kids..wouldn't it be strange if you dated one of their sons? lol.

Everyday the eye gets better. Can't believe it's a week today..thanks for asking.

Rose...Oh Rose..I feel terrible about Papi. When she goes to kitty heaven, will you bury her in the yard?

Although you're doing your best hand-feeding her, it might not be enough..I am so very sorry.

Our yard is a pet cemetery. Dh usually digs the holes..I fear, while gardening, I'll dig too far and find..........
    So far, two of our sons Iguanas, cat, rabbits, hampster, and birds, including my brothers first parakeet. Can't recall the others.

I only hope, when it's Papi's time, she goes peacefully.
    Wonder if you can give her a laxative. Did you ask the vet?
    It's not advisable giving a cat/dog laxatives w/o first asking a vet.
    I was just reading about laxatives and pets the other day when Coco was having problems going.

Okay...gotta get out of the down mood...

I'm surprised your HS grew so much this time of year..That's amazing!

LOL, I KNOW what you mean about, only so many plants will fit in the south window..lolol.

Did you ever post a pic of your Mandavilla? Can't recall. If you have a photo, and if you don't mind, will you post it?
    What color are its flowers?

Rose, given enough light and if possible, cool temps, Geraniums will bloom all winter..
    Beside one Crown of Thorns, I depend on my Geranium to bloom..
    Flowers aren't fragrant, but leaves are..Ever notice?
    I'm not talking scented Geraniums..plain, old-fashioned, seed Geraniums..I love Geranium leaf fragrance..Reminds me of summer.. :)

Ah, Boston! I'd love to visit the east coast in autumn, when tree leaves are colorful..now that it snowed! lol.
    Are you close to Mike? MeyerMie....

I didn't realize mini roses were scented..Now, I'm really interested in finding a few hardy types next spring..for the garden, not indoors..

Do you mulch roses?

• roseyd
    11 years ago

today is papi's last day. she was looking for her resting place this morning when I was getting ready to go to work. I put out several boxes with plastic bags below, hoping that she'd choose one of those to rest in. the clean-up would be easier...

but, she was ignoring those and getting herself in some pretty difficult positions, it may take effort to find her tonight.

She was under the plant table, then was trying to hide herself on one of my bookcase shelves. I closed off my old bedroom door so that I won't have to shift bedroom bureaus to find her - but, there's still plenty of places she could hide herself. It won't be a fun evening.

I will bury her in my neighbor and friend, Lynn's back yard. She told me I could, and Id rather put it there, than in the back yard of where I'm renting. a pet cemetary isn't like planting a bush...

that said, another neighbor is giving me a vine that he needs moved away from his house. So, I'm going to put Papi up close against a retaining wall and put a vine on top of her. This way, her passing will become a part of nature, and I will look at the vine and appreciate the greenery even more.

I don't know where mikey lives... I thought he was from the central states... middle of nowhere ... :) ... maybe with neighboring farms and cows?

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Rose, so sorry to hear about Papi. What a difficult time to go through. I know you gave your kitty the best life possible. :(

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rose, sorry to hear that you are going to lose papi. It is not easy to lose a pet who just like a family member to you. Back few years, our 5 years old bunny died in cancer after spending thousand of dollar on X-ray, hospital stay,..., we were devastated. We buried her in our backyard so she can see us when we are outside. I know how you feel todat, tomorrow, and after... Brace up, rosey, think about papi will be no longer suffering might comfort you. You have my condolence.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

thanks everyone for your support.

It's been very hard watching her get progressively worse. Last weekend, I had been debating putting her down, but was talked out of it... that if she wasn't suffering much, letting her go naturally would give her the ending she'd want.

Yesterday was the first day when I felt I really had to make the call, if she didn't go on her own. She was still playing with her toys on Sunday - last night, all she could do was either, pace, or lay... and, it was the first night where she did not sleep on my bed with me. Instead she stayed in one turned over box on a towel and slept through the night. Her congestion continues to worsen and I know that she's struggling to breath more now. But her kidneys have failed, and she'll die of toxic shock.

Six months of fighting a sinus infection that was actually a brain tumor. I've had time to say goodbye, and I'll be glad to know that she'll be at peace.

And, I'll be glad that she'll be outside in a garden - maybe her spirit will carry on in the plants and trees that abound in my neighborhood. She'd like that she could be a part of it all, she's a personable sort and friendly to everyone. I hope that pet spirits live among us looking out for us like angels.

it seems like as good as any wish.

• fenius
    11 years ago

Hi rose, I'm so sorry about your papi..I hope you have many beautiful memories together. I have a soft spot for all cats & I can't even imagine losing my melissa..Today I planted the last of my first 4 roses, Rosa gallica officinalis (if you want its name will be papi since it is just a species)
    These are the other three:
    Felicite Parmentier, Glamis Castle and Gartentraume, tomorrow I'll plant some bulbs w/them and I have three more coming!
    Rosa rubiginosa, Maiden's blush and Blanche Moreau.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey. Again, I'm terribly sorry.

Did Papi sleep with you last night or under the box?

Cats sense when they're about to go to heaven. Wonder why they decide to sleep under a bed or box when the time is near?

Euthanizing is an extremely difficult decision. Last May when I took our 12-yr-old Mastiff, Sam to the vet to be put to sleep, while walking back and forth outside, he suddenly had a burst of energy. I couldn't think straight. Two thoughts entered my mind..should I bring him in or take him back home?

He looked at me with big, trusting, brown eyes. My son and I both shed tears. We adopted Sam as a puppy.
    But, deep inside, I knew his energy was short-lived.
    Watching your beloved go, is something I wouldn't want to see often..never, in fact.

One reason I gave up my job as an asst vet. People were bringing 1-2 yr old cats and dogs in to be euthanzied for no reason other than they wanted a new kitten or puppy. They were 'bored' with an older pet...older, my a$$. I got so depressed I gave a two-week notice and quit.
    The same people who had their pets put down, came back a week or two later with new pets..They made me sick!

On the other hand, people with elderly or very sick pets, didn't want their guys and gals put down. I wanted to hug these people, try comforting them.

You take care, Rosey..I KNOW it's not easy. hugs, Toni

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, Hope your eye swallow started to go down soon... The miniature roses were from 5-12" tall. I don't think they were mulched in winter time. At least I did not mulch them after I moved them together. They were left by the previous owner...

Rose, When we learned our bunny had cancer, we were going to put her to sleep for she has lose a lot of weight, can't tell she was in suffer, she must have. But animal can't express themselves. By the time we see sign, it is usually too late. We talked to our Vet on possible option of putting her to sleep and we want to be with her during the time. The Vet told us, for small animals, put to sleep is not what we think of inject drug so the animal dies in sleep. We were told they will put a long needle like metal pierce into its heart so the heart stops. We can't bear the idea of piercing our bunny's heart so we didn't let the vet to put it in sleep. It was very difficult decision to make. There is a website dedicated to pet owners . The pet owners can write and publish something to express their love and sorrow of losing their beloved pet.

fenius, when these beautiful roses bloom , please post some pictures for us... I might addict to Roses too.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

WELL! it was a difficult weekend. I was afraid to go into the apartment by myself on friday afternoon - so I had my neighbor come with me. Papi had put herself in the cat carrier and was still alive. I called the vet and we brought Papi in to have her put down. It was really hard to do, but a peaceful way to go. they gave her a shot in the butt (and then another in the leg). after the shot in the butt, she had a sneezing fit - poor girl... but, soon after she slept and then departed.

I brought her home and we buried her in lynn's back yard. Over the course of the weekend, it was a lot of digging! first with Papi's grave, then one of Lynn's feral cats died mysteriously - no sign of illness - Sunday, Lynn found her dead under the bureau. so, a second grave, and a transplant of a vine from neighbor Peter's yard, to a spot between the 2 cats.

I'm tuckered, from fighting roots and digging.

I was never mean't to be a miner... but goodness. Peter handed me a shovel and pick and a long (really heavy) metal bar - and told me what to do... I don't think I'm supposed to have muscles where I'm aching. (I'm a girl, darn it!) :D

Thank goodness that the gardening season is over, because I don't want to be doing anymore outdoor labors until spring.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Maybe because of our dreary weather, I SINNED THIS WEEKEND!! Big time sin....

I really should steer cleer of Ebay and online nurseries..

Today, I'm driving to Worth and Home Town, IL.

The store in Worth, Schroeder's, sells coarse sand and tiny pea gravel. Tinier than HD's. Sand and gravel are perfect for potted plants and prices inexpensive.

Then going to Home Town. A seller on Ebay sells Perlite..It's a semi-long drive, but cheaper than ordering.
    4 cubic feet for 16.95, shipping 25.03. He doesn't charge me full price, and of course no shipping price. I'm buying two bags..
    Bought two bags from him 4-yrs ago..use Perlite w/all plants...still have half a bag left.

Bagged Perlite sold in stores is 3.99 for 4 quarts..so I'm saving money. :)

OG...Thanks. My eye is much better, but there's still little purple areas on the side of my eye, (looks like dirt, lol) plus the bottom is dark purple..makeup won't cover it.
    I'm embarrassed going out, but today's dh day off; I'd get lost if I drove myself..lol. I've been meaning to go to both places for months..wish is was warmer outside.

Next spring if I can find mini, hardy roses, I might order a few..especially fragrant w/multi-color flowers.
    No mulching..Thanks.

OG. I don't like the way your vet euthanizes. It sounds inhumane. I'd have phoned other vets, even to ask questions.
    Did you call the vet in Niles 'can't recall name,' or Midwest Birds and Exotic Animal Hosp?
    The vet in Niles might see dogs/cats, but Exotic does not. People bring in sick birds, turtles, rabbits, etc.

Rosey..Papi is now in heaven. I feel she was trying to tell you, 'mom is has to end,' by going in the carrier.

Like you, when my 7-yrs old, female Cockatiel got sick, 'liver disease,' she went in a nesting box.
    I couldn't look. I asked dh if he would. He checed then said, 'Sunshine is no longer with us.'
    Sunshine and I were very close. She was a little sweetheart. On Sat's, after work, I'd go upstairs and nap. She'd come with me, sleet on my chest.
    When we went to Springfield, 'dh's work,' she'd come along.
    At night, she slept in a small cage in our bedroom, then during the day she'd be downstairs w/me.
    A second cage was down here, but she was free to walk around when I was home. (I clipped her wings.) Most of the time she sat on my shoulder, ate from my plate.

I'm sure your not not feeling well, depressed, but the worse if over...It will take time to heal. Papi's with you in spirit and memories.

Take care of yourself, Rosey. hugs, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Rosy, I wanted to stop by and say I am so sorry about your
    Papi..It's like loosing afamily member and I wish you many memories of happiness.

Again, so sorry for your loss

Mike

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Toni, buying dirt isn't sinning ... we have to replant after all.

Mike, Toni and everyone, I'm going to be fine. I will always miss her, but she's in a better place. I did all I could for her, and I'm glad to have had the time with her that I did.

I have other cats, and while they don't have her charismatic personality - they're doing their share to bring me out of the grumps.

And, I have my plants too. :) the mandavilla, a Red Fury, is about to bloom again. She came to me in bloom, and I guess this means that the T5 light is enough to keep her happy and blooming. I had wondered if I would see any more flowers with the move of the plants into the darker (west window) - but that light is doing proper duty - and, all is going well. I really do have to come up with some sort of trellis???? for her, and soon. she's growing about an inch or two a month. and that one stick I'd put into the 5 inch pot with her, is now joined - end to vine - with no more space left for additional growth.

I had the wierdest image last night - thinking what I'd do with all these vines as spring approaches and the outdoor light/temps improve again... and, I had the vision of me hanging the top of the vines out top of the windows to let them grow outside. If I didn't have to worry about hornets, bees, mosquitoes and other flying visitors... I would probably consider doing this (and shock the neighbors with a view of plants taking over the whole top of the house... growing upwards over the roof???? or would they, unsupported, flop downwards?)

A mandavilla? a honeysuckle? half in and half out? ... would I wake up to hummingbirds teasing my cats?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Morning...

Rosey... I'm not counting pebbles, sand and Perlite.,

It's plants. I ordered 13 plants this past wkend!! 13!!
    Don't know what I was thinking. One is being shipped from Thailand..

Rosey, thankfully, you have other cats..one pet will never replace another, but we must think about all our pets..

I can't believe your Mandavilla is still blooming. That's fantastic, especially this time of year.
    My thumb isn't green enough to keep Mandavilla alive, let along blooming.

Hanging leaves out the window would be a sight, a good sight, but I know what you mean about flying insects entering your house.
    I can visualize greens growing out the window, too..

If you can think of a way to fill in the gaps, maybe it'd work.

Someone here might have a brain storm.

How many stems does your Mandavilla have? What type of trellis are you thinking of getting?
    One stem vines usually grow up a pole but multi-stems need something wider., extra spaces.

I bought wire and plastic trellises on Ebay a year or two back..not bad prices either. The plastic come in various sizes, but don't know how tall your Mandavilla will get or what size you're looking for.

Two years ago, Walmart had some beautiful vine plants, Mandavilla, Bougainvillea, etc, growing up a pole..the top of each plant grew outwards..Like a Standard..They were gorgeous..

The cost was 19.99. I went there several times but the price remained the same. Of course, I got tired of driving back and forth..sure enough..the end of Sept they reduced prices.r 4.00 each! I missed the sale..lol.
    I wanted a Raspberry Ice Bougainvillea.

Yep, your two vines would probably cling to the building, growing whichever way the sunshine was brightest.

Of course, some plants just don't know what they're doing.
    I planted Wisteria several years ago..can't recall date.
    Anyway, it's grown tall, with several stems..the strange thing is a few stems found their way inside the garage, which makes no sense. The garage hasn't any light..Vines even have leaves.
    I have NO idea how or why these stems chose to grow in a dark garage.

So, you never know where your Mandavilla or Honeysuckle will end up...probably in your neighbors window..lol.

What a sight waking to hummingbirds in our windows.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

13 plants???? seriously? that many? what kinds did you get? anything exciting?

the mandavilla has only one vine so far - and is almost 2 feet tall. If she's supposed to get to about 5 feet - and, my windows only offer height to 4 feet (with pots on the floor) ... if pots are on tables - 18" - I would have about 2 feet of vine hanging out the windows. :D ... the honeysuckle can grow to 10 feet - so that one would be even more challenging - possibly climbing up and twining around the gutters come summer. Yes, it'll be an interesting vision. I suppose I could find a way to close off most of the opening with plastic, similar to what I do around the sides of the air-conditioner.

I think if those two vines really take off growing in the full southern sun - I may have quite the problem getting them inside in the fall without lopping off their 'heads'

I do worry about what bugs infestations I'd be setting myself up for with this scenario, though. spiders don't hang out on top of roofs, do they??? would I have to worry about aphids and mites three stories up?

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey. Think I mentioned several plants were outside too late in the season/cold, including Hoyas.
    Thicker leaf Hoyas managed to survive w/few frost-bitten leaves, but thinner leaf types froze and died, including one of my favorites, 'actually 2 of the same plant.'
    Hoya Macrophylla variegata.

I normally don't buy duplicate plants, but I fell in love w/this Hoya..losing both was devestating.
    So, I ordered another H. macrophylla this weekend. Including heat pad.

I'm too tired to write all down, lol..let's see, interesting plants....
    I believe it was Robert who mentioned Tecoma..so Tecoma is on the list.

Brunsfelia, Grand Duke of Tuscany, blue Plumbago and a variegated Miagos bush..don't know what Miagoes is, or if it can be grown as a house plant..If it turnes out a hardy perennial, I pray it livs througout winter, then planted in the garden come spring.

I too wondered if plastic would work..Are you considering plastic sheets or something else?
    I bought a small roll of plastic at HD. 46' long for 12 and change. Plastic is located in HD's Paint Dept. In case you're interested in rolled plastic.

if done carefully, I wouldn't worry about decapitating, however, if vines cling to something, well, it will be a challenge. You'll have to stick your head out the window, to detach. Oh brother! lol. Or climb a tall ladder..dangerous..if you use a ladder, please be careful.

SPIDERS....Girl, I don't know where spiders hide, where they come from or how high they climb. lol. I guess anywhere they choose. Bee's might visit, but that's not a problem..in fact, they're beneficial pollinating flowers.

If your area has hummer's, Manadvilla's red blooms will certainly attract them.

Rosey, would you happen to know if Honeysuckle is fast or slow-growing..Hardy Honeysuckle...

IMO, mites, etc, are less likely to attack plants when outdoors..at least here in IL. Better chance of plants acquiring insects in dry, stuffy rooms.

10 or more years ago, the only insect that attacked my plants was whitefy.
    House plants out front were about 10' from a hardy Hydrangea..Hydrangea was the wf host. Front plants were first to get whitefly. Wf is so contageous, they also landed on plants on the side of house and back yard.

I didn't notice until plants were brought indoors. WF were sitting on 95% of my tropicals and some succulents.
    So, I ordered several, Yellow-Sticky-Traps which worked miracles. A few traps attached to a stem, per room, captured all wf.

If the area is sunny, I doubt spiders will make homes on your vines. They usually build webs in shadier places.
    Usually, but not sure.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I think from the way mine's acting - she's growing pretty fast. I may need to give her a bigger pot this spring or the weight of her vine will pull her right out the window. I also may have to consider putting out in real dirt, that will be a challenge - trying to figure out what side of the yard to put a honeysuckle on - and what roses it will compete for space with - I'm worried that I just don't have the yard to support such a vine.

if you want a slow growing vine ... my roseum hydrangea barely has changed in the 2 months I've had her. she's very pretty, but at the rate she's going - I can't imagine her becoming a 60' vine anytime soon. she barely touches 6 inches now.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rose, wait, I'm confused. Are you planning on transplanting your vine in-ground?

What size is its pot and what type of medium is your vine potted in? You're talking about Honey Suckle right?

Actually, I would rather my Honey Suckle grow faster..It's only 8" or so. I'm worried, because of its age/height, winter will freeze roots. I placed quite a bit of mulch around the plant, but if temps drop to 0F...

• roseyd
    11 years ago

mine is growing inside really fast - but, my apartment is in the 60's... and the growlights are given the lower portion of the vine quite a bit of light, as well as the south-facing window gives natural light about 5 hours+ the pot is sitting right on the sill so it's just about direct lighting.

Outside, I'm sure the plants are pretty much mostly dormant now. sure, the roses are giving out their last blooms - but, this far north, they'd better be slowing down - especially since we've already had one snowstorm, and quite a few 30-40 degree nights.

so, my indoors honeysuckle is in a 6" pot, filled with miracle grow. I don't experiment wth special soil blends - if the plants can't survive dirt - I don't have the patience to measure and mix stuff. I water when things dry out, and what's not broken - I don't try fixing it.

My honeysuckle in 2 months went from 14" to almost 3 feet. the bottom 10 inches of her is twig. she's a leggy girl. her one twig so far has branched into 2 vines.

When she got to tall to be in under the plant-light in the west-facing room - I put her in that southfacing window, and I let the glass of the window keep her propped ... so she's climbing glass. when she get's to tall for the glass, I may end up looping her over the curtain-rod and angling her downwards... just so that she keeps as much of her in the light as will grow there.

I don't know what I'll do with a 10' foot vine - ... but am really liking the idea of come spring, throwing half of it out the window and treating it like Rapunzel's hair. :)

next fall, what will I do with a 15 foot vine inside?

I'll be really shocked if she decides to bloom once I put my heat on...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey, OMG, how do you survive such cold temps? When it drops to 68F, I'm frozen..dress like I'm in North Pole. lol.

I'm surprised roses are growing at all, this time of year..then again, you're z6...When we've drove to southern IL, there was a huge temp difference..even plants that won't grow here, do well down south.

Rose, I've used straight MG for years..Successfully. Like you said..if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I wonder if your vine is grafted?? Amazing how fast your Honeysuckle grew this time of year..heck, even during summer..

Growing vines on a curtain rod is a good idea. I no longer hang curtains/shades/blinds..plants are natural curtains.
    We had a 12' curtain rod above the LR windows.
    I had a Pothos that hung, grew long, so I set the end on the rod, and it really took off.
    I could have shot dh when he tossed the rod..lol.

Once your honeysuckle gets 15' tall, it's going to need a big pot. lol.
    One option is to attach it to a topiary..there's some really nice shapes. Holidays, animals, etc. From small to extra large..
    Or use a trellis, like you first said.

I thought honeysuckle bloomed a certain time of year?

• roseyd
    11 years ago

cold? ... some nights are a little chilly. I put on my fleece pajamas and socks and I'm fine. :) 60's isn't cold. wait until it's 45 - then I'll run the space heater to take of my clothes to shower... and, be thinking it's cold enough, consistently that I should put the heat on. Last year, I was freezing around thanksgiving weekend - the year before that, I went a week longer and didn't start the heat going until December 4th... the year before that... well, I made it until close to the end of december... I don't like putting the heat on and having it go straight until April... so, I delay as long as I can. :D

I'm not cold yet.

If the heat goes on, and the honeysuckle is growing in a warm room - won't it be faked out to think that it's summer? :) I'm hoping by February, I'll have honeysuckles in bloom - even though it's usually a summer bloomer.

I need to research topiaries...

OH... EVery one of my roses outside has blooms. they aren't all pretty. but that 2 days of warmth early this week did it. I have buds or open blossoms on all my bushes. Even the climber shows some new growth.

I'm not saying they're particularly pretty. this time of year - the flowers are smaller... the stems more delicate. This is the Roses' last horrah before their long winter sleep.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Rosey, lol..Some people can tolerate cold more than others.
    The room I spend most of the time is about 70F. This is what I wore last night.
    Insulated top
    Thick sweat shirt.
    Long knee socks, 'over my knees,'
    Leg warmers.
    Booties
    House Slippers.
    Under clothing.
    Thick, winter Robe.

And I was still cold. lol.

I give you credit. There's no way on earth I'd take a daily shower. lol. Probably would wear Pj's until June. lol.
    My sister is always warm..She runs the a/c most of the year..When I visit her, I bring extra clothing.

One Thanksgiving, several family members went to her house. She had the a/c running..Outdoor temps were in the 20's.
    My dh said, 'he normally doesn't complain when temps are on the low side, but has a limit.' Anyway, he said, 'I'm going outside to warm up.' lol.

I also have to worry about birds..especially my older guy. When they're puffed up, it's too cold. I usually end up turning on the oven, which is one room over.

It's possible your plants will assume it's summer, but certain plants can't take the cold..soil stays wet when rooms are cold.

Most succulents don't mind, 'unless soil remains wet for prolonged periods,' but certain tropicals can freeze. Especially when close to a window.

Speaking of research..I did a little Honeysuckle reading.
    One author wrote, Honeysuckle grows clockwise,
    It was also written, many nurseries graft HS.
    Remember I asked if yours was grafted? Look at the wood near the bottom..if there's a bump, it's grafted.

Several sites, made it clear, HS should get infrequent fertilizer.
    One last thing..It flowers from Apr-Aug.

Rose, I know what you mean about Rose blooms at the end of the growing season..Blooms are normally smaller.
    Do you mulch? I might have asked before, but forgot.

Even though flowers don't look as good this time of year, at least you can view a semi-colorful garden.

Aside from Yucca and Sedum, all plants are dormant.

One plant, Ornamental Cabbage is doing fantastic. Normally grown as an annual, this cabbage has been around since 2010. Last Nov, I think, it flowered. Tall, yellow spikes.

The pic was taken 11/4..doesn't do colors justice. Wish I'd planted more Cabbage/Kale and Mums in the front garden. Maybe next year, if I can find it.

Gotta start dinner..Making Chicken Parmasian today..going to take several hours..Should have started ealier, but you know how it is on GW..

My puter will be on though..lol..hugs, Toni

• roseyd
    11 years ago

You wear all that when it's 70?

last night, I wore a cotton nighty. (to thighs), and a fleece jacket. no socks.

I'll check the honeysuckle tonight, see if I notice anything graft-like...

the picture - from this morning ... shows you how delicate those stems are, this time of year. can't even hold up the flower. I don't mulch. I should because it would be a whole lot easier to fight weeds.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

The sauce is heating..

Temps differ per room. For instance, the back and front plant rooms are super-chilly.

The basement used to be warmer in winter and cooler in summer, but something's changed..it's the opposite.

Thermometer might read 68-70F, but to me it feels like 50. lol. Yep, I wear all that, plus I've taken out winter sheets/comforter. Aside from removing slippers, I place my robe over the covers and sleep under all three..sheet, comforter and robe..lol.

I don't know how you do it, Rosey..lol.

Yeah, I see how delicate rose stems are..leaves are frost-bitten, too. But, at least your rose if blooming..The flower looks good, much larger than I thought.

• roseyd
    11 years ago

:) I haven't put a real blanket on my bed yet. I have my sheets and a snuggie spread out on top of them. In another week or so, I should unpack a comforter ... don't want to be 'to hot'...isn't it still indian summer? :)

As for your problem with the basement... sounds like there's a window open. It should be really warming up down there between the furnace and water-heater ... positively toasty.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Indian Summer? Maybe in Fl..lol

I had to run to the store to buy cheese for dinner. It's not as cold as I thought.
    I was bundled, but not wearing as many clothes as I do at night..

Nope..Basement windows have storm and inner windows..they haven't been opened in years..Their probably painted shut..

Now the bedrooms windows aren't closed properly..I asked dh to check...he said they were closed and locked..sure enough, they're not..To close them all plants on two shelves have to be taken down....The bedroom is very cold at night.

Come to think of it, it might be warm enough to place Gardenia out for a few hours..it's very sunny..

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I'll share my secret. :) I live in an attic apartment that gives me 2 really huge positives during this time of year. first, I'm right below a black tar roof that heats up when the sun hits it. second, heat rises and since there's a family with 2 young children directly below me - they've had their heat on for a while now.

So, unless I have a few days of 'no-sun', bad weather, or consistent temps below freezing - these "2" positives keep most of the chill out of my attic space.

there are a few really chilly evenings when I will put on my fleece pajamas, and a pair of socks.

if it's below freezing for multiple days, I'll probably have to bring out a comforter, or my electric blanket and start running the space heater before/while I shower.

And, if the neighbors go away for the holidays and lower their heat... I may have to put my heat on.

These are the benefits to having an apartment at the top of the stairs, instead of at the bottom. 1) the rising heat, and ... the view from up top.

There has to be some benefits for not having patio, or back yard space or an easy way to water outdoor plants...