My new plant guard

User
11 years ago

This little guy was guarding my Grand Duke this

morning, better than insecticides! LOL!

Comments (10)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

What a cutie! Wish I had some for my plumerias. We finally got a little rain and all of a sudden the aphids have descended! :)

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Butterfly, Very cute!. What kind lizard is this?

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Olympia,
    I don't know what kind he is, they are alot bigger than he is, he is a baby one. They run all over the place here, but I love them so much because they eat those dreaded bugs. Here is a pic of my Grand Duke flower this morning, thanks to little him.

They get about 8 inches long, the little lizards. All the cute little babies from the spring are running around now. I have two plumerias Robert, they are getting real big, but no blooms for me. Oh well, I guess I have to wait til they bloom, i like blooms the year I buy something. They are 3 years old now, so I guess I am getting impatient. Especailly when you have to drag it in the house for winter and it takes up alot of room.

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

I know what you mean about waiting for plumerias to bloom! I now have 10 and only 1 is currently blooming. :(
    According to the folks on the plumie forum you have to be patient (which I also am not. laugh).
    I'm just trying to give them the best growing conditions (gritty fast draining mix, letting them dry between waterings, feeding them...including foliar sprays, giving them tons of sun, etc.).
    At least you've got the lizards to liven up the branches! :)

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Butterfly, The Duke is nice. Do you prune your Duke after flowering? Mine is growing tall but not many branches.
    I found it is best let nature take care itself. I wish I had one of your kind lizard in my yard, but it is too cold here. I do have some spiders, maybe called jumping spider so sort that take care most of common pests on the plants. I don't spread chemical to disturb the balance. In a long run, I really don't need to. The only pest problem I have is the Japanese beetles. I bet these lizard can take them.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Butterfly, The Duke is nice. Do you prune your Duke after flowering? Mine is growing tall but not many branches.
    I found it is best let nature take care itself. I wish I had one of your kind lizard in my yard, but it is too cold here. I do have some spiders, maybe called jumping spider so sort that take care most of common pests on the plants. I don't spread chemical to disturb the balance. In a long run, I really don't need to. The only pest problem I have is the Japanese beetles. I bet these lizard can take them.

• jeff_al
    11 years ago

looks like the geico spokes-lizzard! :-)
    actually, it is an american anole or carolina anole.
    i have them, too, and enjoy watching them move among the plants on and around the carport.
    i brought an achmea bromeliad inside for the winter some years back and the "tubes" had become homes for about 3 or 4 of those lizards.

Here is a link that might be useful: carolina anole

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jeff, I didn't know the name.
    Olympia, I prune it back after it flowers, yes, it is getting bushier. Over the winter last year it grew real tall and lanky looking, so in the spring when I put it outside i cut off the tall growth.
    I will cut it down low when I bring it in again for the winter. It will grow all winter and I just keep cutting it back.
    It really is putting out alot of blooms this summer, constantly blooming, I am wondering if it is because i keep cutting it. Does Grand Duke bloom on new growth?

• kandhi
    11 years ago

butterfly4u, Trimming is always good as it encourages new growth. True jasmines sp bloom on new growth. I generally trim all my jasmines to half their size to bring them indoors to avoid spider mites and other bud problem. You can use the cuttings to make new plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

That's beautiful Butterfly! I have never had any success with this plant, in fact, the only one! Mine have always been brats!

I hope you are well. I responded to your other thread weeks back, but I don't think you ever saw it. Been thinking of you. I will link you.

I hope everyone here is enjoying the last days of summer. I am already starting to get my seasonal depression. The lizard did make me smile though!:-)

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Doe anyone have a butterfly bush

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz