Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Portlandia grandiflora care?

Posted by nankeen z8b Portland OR (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 12:54

Anyone have experience growing Portlandia indoors in the winter/outdoors in the summer? I'd definitely appreciate any suggestions. I'm hoping it will adapt to the same care as my Brunfelsia, Cestrum, Gardenia, etc, but with the oyster shell in the potting mix to make it more alkaline. We have a SW facing sunroom with floor to ceiling windows for indoor care.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Portlandia grandiflora care?

Ohhh, that is pretty! I would like to trade with you for some cuttings - just email me!!!!

o

• Posted by nankeen z8b Portland OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 15:05

It's a new plant to me and very slow growing , supposedly, so cuttings may take some time. I'll try to remember.

o

I am looking for Portlandia grandiflora seeds to buy. Does anyone hove some seeds? This is plant of my dream. Thanks

o

Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 16:12

I know... it is pretty great but it is slow! I have no seeds and none for at least 5 yrs or so. You could try one of the other closely related Rubiacaea like Cubanola domingoensis (syn Portlandia domingoensis). There are seeds for that regularly on eBay. The one I'd realllllly love to get my hands on is Osa pulchra; unfortunately it's incredibly rare! It seems that every time I find a plant I absolutely love, it's exceedingly hard to find: Pavetta, Osa, Luculia, Euclinia... someday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osa Google images.

o

there is an ebay listing of luculia every now and then, I saw it recently..

o

Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 22:16

I know. I was considering it but it's $55 for a tiny plant if I'm the only bidder... I'll think about it. The Rhododendron Species Botanic Garden in Federal Way, WA, just south of Seattle supposedly has Luculia pinceana for sale to members in 1gal...

o

you're lucky then, last year I bought the expensive one on ebay and lost it in a summer heat wave :_-(

o

Now that sucks. We just finished a heat wave here ... water water water every day. Still some had issues. Next year I will bring them in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here