Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
altadenafoothills

Night blooming jasmine at 3 a.m.

altadenafoothills
17 years ago

The scent was so strong, it woke me up. But in a good way. I plant it a little distance from the house so I'm not totally overwhelmed (but my neighbors might be)

Comments (9)

• ankraras
    17 years ago

I think it's also known as "Queen of the Night' if my recollection isn't on the blink. The scent has a reputation for being a bully through your
    open window. I had two plants growing 15 feet away from the kitchen window and would start detecting their fragrance around ten at night.
    I now enjoy two gardenia which are currently blooming. I recall that the hummers were more interested in Cestrum then Gardenia which adds
    another dimension of interest.

• charlene_in_iowa
    17 years ago

I had one, in a pot because of my zone, on the back porch. I would sit on the swing in the wee hours of the night so that I could smell it! Beautiful. Well I am a 2nd shift worker, so finding me awake at the time of night is not unusual. I just wonder what my neighbors thought if they took a peek out their windows.

• zinnia_blooms
    17 years ago

does any one have any cuttings of this ,sounds great!

• doyleglfprt
    17 years ago

I have more night blooming jasmin than I can keep up with. The smell is incredible. I've found that cuttings do well in the ground, but not so in pots. I'd like to know if I should be fertilizing and if so with what?

• mooseowner
    17 years ago

Hey everyone. I too have a night blooming jasmine potted on my porch. It bloomed nicely once about a month ago and then overnight, all the blooms fell off. Is this common? Will it re-bloom on it's own? Is there something I should do, like cut it back?

• beth7happy
    17 years ago

Moose, the blooms don't last a real long time, but it will bloom again, and in cyles. I cut mine back in the spring - down to about 6" to a foot and it comes back with gusto!

• yenob
    17 years ago

I use to have a potted nightblooming jasmine that bloomed quite often, but it had grown to be the size of a small tree and I couldn't fit it into our new house. Since then, I have two more nice size plants and many cuttings that I just pot up when they've rooted. The problem is that as healthy as they all look, none of them has bloomed. I had them outside this past summer, in pots, and they grew well in size but no blooms. What could be the problem?? I've been feeding them every week with Schultz Bloom Plus but maybe I need to stop that. It's possible they aren't getting enough all day light. I just don't get it and would love some advice.

• wliu57
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Just be careful. This plant is poisonous to human beings. Its smell and the plant itself are poisonous. Several years ago I bought one and when I checked it in the book and found it was poisonous plant, and I just thowed it away.

Trust it or not, it is your choice, this is just a reminder.

• jimshy
    17 years ago

Just to add my 2 cents . . .

cestrum nocturnum, particularly the berries, is poisonous -- but just smelling it won't give you anything worse than a headache from the intensity! Be careful if you have small children, but otherwise, enjoy.

Jim