Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenghoul

A Question for Robert

blutayle
9 years ago

Hi Robert,

I had recently been on Seattle Orchids website and purchased a few things from them. They now have a growers choice area where they recommend bigger plants they have in stock. One the items I am currently interested in is the Cym. Chen's Ruby. I looked at the reviews and saw a Robert posted a comment. I don't know why but I had a feeling it was you. As I did a search for Chen's Ruby on this site it brought me to a thread where you posted yours blooming. Being a fragrance freak myself, would you recommend this plant. I am in Tampa so I am glad it is warmth tolerant. Anything about this plant stick out for you? Is the fragrance worth it or more like a musty cattleya? I am ready to jump but not til I hear from you first...

Comments (12)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Howdy, Blutayle!

I just noticed a flower spike forming at the base of my plant today. :)

Yes I would recommend it for scent however we all know how personal scent is. What you find divine I might find disgusting. Laugh.

Have you sniffed any other cymbidiums like 'Golden Elf'?
    To me GE reminds me of magnolias.
    Chen's Ruby also has a similar scent but stronger and spicier plus visually the flowers are stunning and my partner loves them. They seem to last a pretty long time as well from what I remember from last year.

Hope this helps!
    I'll post a pic when ours blooms again and let you know my thoughts on its scent this year. :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 14:52

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert, please do..I couldn't get a Cyms to reflower for me for all the money in the world..I threw one out that I paid 55 dollars for I was so frustrated...

Happy for you)

MIke

9 years ago

Mike, so sorry to hear that! :(

Here's a pic of the spike coming out from the base.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 21:12

9 years ago

And here's a pic of the whole plant.
    As Brian has pointed out they can get huge so you've got to have space for them. No doubt I'll be culling my herd come winter. ;)

I also have Cymbidium 'Maureen Carter' that's about to open and I just noticed a spike on 'Mayor's Red' which I'm very excited about! So far this variety has remained small which is awesome if you don't have a lot of room.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert, you are so lucky!

How do you care for them? Do you feed them? Do you give them all day sunlight?

You amaze me at times my friend!

MIke

9 years ago

Thanks, Mike!

I mix Dynamite Orchids & Bromeliads slow release fertilizer into the potting medium and use Better-Gro Orchid Plus fertilizer maybe once or twice a month?
    Most receive full to dappled morning sun then dappled afternoon sun and no sun in the evenings due to where they are located.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert, thank you so much.

Mine are kept outside too...Same kind of lighting..I do feed Foliage Pro and FE..Mayeb I need to feed what you are using?
    I think cold can trigger bloom too? I hope so..

What the latest you leave them out? I hear they actuallt like colder nights?
    My warm loving ones come into the greenhouse soon. Maybe I should leave them out a bit longer..I have all kinds of options, hoping something works..

MIke

• blutayle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert...beautiful plant...think I am gonna pull the trigger on it.

• blutayle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok...the plant arrived today and looks very healthy. My question to you Robert is ....after having this cym for approx. a year soon...how does it handle the hot OK summers? Do you keep it outdoors most of the time? What type of medium did you use when you repotted?
    I plan on keeping it outdoors in dappled shade and we are still in the 90's thru Columbus Day weekend. Here is a shot of it...

9 years ago

Wow! Yours looks awesome!
    It handles the heat very well. We've been in the 90's for weeks now so that shouldn't be a problem for you.
    Mine has been outside since spring (probably took it out when nights were 60 and above).
    Medium is a bit more tricky since I like to mix a bunch of different mediums together.
    For instance I mix Fafard and Better-Gro orchid potting mixes and another brand name I can't recall off the top of my head (but it has bark, lava rock, large perlite and charcoal) all together and throw in some Hydroton (fired clay pebbles) to make a fast draining mix.
    Of course I also use Dynamite Orchids & Bromeliads slow release fertilizer sprinkled throughout the repotting procedure.

I think yours will do great!
    Post pic when it blooms. I'm curious as to if you'll like the scent and how you'll describe it. :)

-Robert

9 years ago

Finally remembered my fav orchid potting mix (though I still add stuff like Hydroton to it), Fertilome. :)

-Robert

• fragrantgarden99
    9 years ago

Golden Elf bloom lasts only 2 weeks. How l I bg does chen's Ruby last? Given GE is one of the parents.
    Does cym. Mau.reen bl9om lasts long?
    Thanks!