Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need fragrance

Posted by skippy05 z7 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 14:08

I have a beautiful white datura that had 20 flowers oepn on Sunday, no fragrance.
I have 2 small jasmine plants in the house that have no blooms currently....
I have moonflower vine, but I don't notice the fragrance
unless I stick my noise in the flower!

It is already August, what can I buy that is tough (zone 7)
& will survive indoors for the cold months??
I need some wonderful fragrance(my favorites are gardenia, jasmine, roses )
Any suggestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need fragrance

Jasmine sambac maid of orleans is your best bet. Plumeria obtusa varieties are also worth a try. I currently have a figo blooming but I think that's out of season so you probably wouldn't find one with flowers.

Some fragrant hostas are currently flowering, cosmos atrosanguineus and berlandiera lyrata.

Now there are of course orchids, thousands to choose from. If you want some names

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation/OrchidSNS/frag.html

Of course none of these would survive outside during winter.

RP1

o

Mirabilis Jalapa or Four o'clocks would be good for next summer I started mine from seed in spring several years ago. They have a spicy jasmine like sent. The flowers start in early summer and last to frost. They will die to the ground in winter but return the next spring.They can get big I have them in the back of my beds. They reseed Quite freely, that may sound bad but unwanted plants are easily removed and seeds can be collected just as easily. Every evening around 4pm the sent fills the air!

o

Yes, I do have 2 small jasmine plants, I love them.
I would lova a plumeria, but I don't know if it would survive without alot of attention, it would have to come inside for most of the year.....

I do have some 4 oclocks! I love them, they smell like grape soda (that is what I thought of when I smelled them the other night!)
I guess I just don't have enough of them to fill the air...

Thanks

o

Trust me, plumeria don't require much attention except when it's sunny, but then they just require watering like anything else.

The deciduous varieties, i.e rubra, would require to be kept dry during the winter though when they're dormant.

RP1

o

RP1
You are really talking me into this!
They are so beautiful & I have only seen pictures!
Thanks

o

I don't know how it would do in zone 7 by my Confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) is just going to off right now. Just a thought.

o

Hardy Jasmine is Jasminum officinale which is hardy to z6 sheltered or z7 for outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here