Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Epiphyllum cooperi cuttings are taking!

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 14:37

Yay! I'm sure I'll have to wait years before they bloom but hopefully not as long as I've been waiting for E. anguliger to bloom!
I know fragrant2008 recommends E. cooperi for fragrance. :)

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Epiphyllum cooperi cuttings are taking!

Is it night bloom one?

o

Hi, Greendou!

Yes. It's supposed to have fragrant blooms at night. :)

-Robert

o

White color? like this ?
my Epiphyllum was not very fragrant when I went out about 10:00 pm, not sure at midnight. I will try next time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiphyllum

o

Hi, Greendou!

Yes. It's supposed to have fragrant blooms at night. :)

-Robert

o

Shoot. Posted the same message twice. Guess that's what I get for using my phone. Laugh.

Yes. E. cooperi's blooms are white.

You epiphyllum appears to be E. oxypetalum.

-Robert

o

Learn a lot. Thanks, Robert.
Btw, your pot will be too small, it will grow to about 4-5 feet, and almost care free.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big one

This post was edited by greendou on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 16:17

o

cool congrats Robert i say two or three years before your cutting flowers if well looked after :)
E. cooperi has a excellent fragrance i have mine in the orchid house and it wafts all through the house on the night it is open just a shame they are so short lived :(
they seem to do well in hanging baskets as they stay fairly small
 photo DSC_0012_zps3e2f7245.jpg

think i posted a pic in july flowering as well.

E. oxypetalum on the other hand is a monster grows more like a small tree and the flowers are fragrant but no where near as good a cooperi
what size is your E. anguliger Robert? have you tried Feed high potash (Tomato fertiliser 2-10-10) Feb to April for blooms, then balanced feed (8-8-8) July to October. November to January no feed

o

Okay Brian.. now I have to find myself a cooperi too. That pic is so pretty!! : )

o

Thanks so much for the tips, Brian!

I've been used a balanced Dynamite fertilizer and high nitrogen orchid fertilizer but next year I'm trying yours! :)

My beast is about 4ft across now. My partner loves the shape of its leaves but you know me I want blooms! Laugh.
I've always wondered if my Ric Rac Cactus might actually be Cryptocereus Anthonyanus. I actually bought a very tiny plant of E. anguliger from Logee's and shoved it into the big plant's pot I got from Almost Eden almost 3 years ago. :)

-Robert

o

Hi kemistry it happens to us all on this forum i am sure its in the small print some where when you sign up :P i have just been looking into E. anguliger now Robert has mentioned it ( i knew it had to be fragrant) and the more i read the more i want one :)
just the fact Robert has not got it to flower is putting me off
nice healthy looking plant though :)
( only thing with the forum is half the things you mention i have never heard of or we can not get over here like Dynamite)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here